- Landmark's closed beta launched PvE combat this week; SOE says it will shift full-time to working on EverQuest Next in early 2015.
- Shroud of the Avatar's devs spoke to us about its community and development process.
- Black Desert officially launched into open beta in Korea.
- Sandvox SkySaga began its alpha phase for UK players.
- Skyforge launched a beta contest and demoed two classes.
- Cabal II's closed beta is taking signups; the first focus test is slated for this weekend.
- Valiance Online kicked off a Steam Greenlight campaign. It's currently in pre-alpha stress testing.
- Space strategy MMO AD2460 leaves testing and launches on December 29th.
- MapleStory 2 will begin closed beta signups in Korea next week.
- Albion Online's winter test begins January 26th.
- Rainbow Saga softlaunched into open beta.
- MMORTS Siegelord's closed beta began this week as well.
To run it, you'll need to have an Android device that's at least 6" or larger. Like the other platform versions, the Android edition of Hearthstone will sync up with your Battle.net account and allow you to use your existing cards (if you have any). Plans are in the works for an Android version to work on smaller-size phones.
Hearthstone recently won the award for Massively's Best Pseudo-MMO of 2014. Android players can snag it on Google Play or through Amazon.
What about you, Massively readers? Are you playing Elite this week? If so, what do you think?
Ever wish that you could put to rest a long-standing MMO debate once and for all? Then welcome to the battle royal of Massively's Leaderboard, where two sides enter the pit o' judgment -- and only one leaves. Vote to make your opinion known, and see whether your choice tops the Leaderboard!
Fifth Season's Christian Lassem dropped by our comment section earlier this fall to dispel confusion about the game and show off a slice of combat via video, which we've included below.
Elite: Dangerous won Massively's Most Underrated MMO of the year by a hair just last week. Check out the launch trailer and our roundup of the best Elite news, streams, and hands-on articles by the Massively staff below!
We're going to turn that question on its head for today's Think Tank. I didn't ask our writers about the worst MMO launch ever; I asked them to name the best. Plus, everyone knows Anarchy Online was the worst. Everyone!
So which high-profile MMO launch was so great that future MMOs should be aspiring to match and exceed it?
Ubisoft admitted that the game's servers had been erasing or showing incomplete player statistics due to a minor issue. Before you get frightened that the game has erased your identity and progress entirely, know that the good news is that "major data" weren't affected at all and that a patch is coming to fix the problem.
The Crew launched on Tuesday, December 2nd. Ubisoft refused to provide the media with review copies of the game.
Hi guys, This is just a quick update to confirm that there won't be a wipe at launch.So it's not formally launched until December 16th, but it's pretty much launched in the ways that matter. Lewis further dismissed concerns about exploits benefiting early access players. "We're looking at ways to find people who have used exploits. Don't worry about that! But also, don't worry about it if you have used an exploit - the guys on the dev team know the difference between testing something out and abusing the systems!"
Massively's Mike Foster toured the game a few weeks ago, writing that "the gamma version finally brings Frontier's full vision into focus, and the result is a challenging, complex title." The buy-to-play MMO took home Massively's Most Underrated award this year.
We've got the new launch trailer tucked behind the break!
Massively's Larry Everett explored the plotline and soloability of the expansion in his column last week. Enjoy the trailer below.
Betas, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Expansions, Launches, MMO Industry, Patches, PvP, News Items, Free-to-Play, Mobile, Consoles, MMOFPS, MMORTS, Post-Apocalyptic, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, World of Warplanes, MOBA, League of Legends, Destiny, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Infinite Crisis, Hearthstone
- Hearthstone's first expansion, Goblins vs. Gnomes, launched earlier today after major balance tweaks last week.
- Ubisoft's action-driving MMO The Crew launched, landing at #6 on the UK charts.
- Destiny previewed The Dark Below and again rejected raid matchmaking.
- Over 27 million people tuned in to watch League of Legends' world finals.
- Zombie MOBA Dead Island: Epidemic launched into open beta.
- That rumor about a Borderlands MMO was true, though it's coming only to China.
- Warface will sunset on the Xbox 360 in February.
- Path of Exile prepped for its 1.3 update and tournament season one.
- Heroes of the Storm teased model updates and master skins.
- Infinite Crisis dredged up a playable Swamp Thing.
- Star Citizen's Hornet was made available to all backers.
- Frontier teased the Elite: Dangerous trailer and gave away old-school Elite for Mac.
- World of Speed profiled the BMW Z4 roadster in a new video.
- World of Warplanes taught us how to do a canopy roll.
- Nerd Kingdom told backers it's hopeful about an investor for TUG.
- Elvenar's devs posted a video preview of the MMORTS.
"Is it going to be a finished game? Absolutely not. If that's what you're expecting, DO NOT BUY EARLY ACCESS," he wrote. "The goal here is to let you in early and help us mold it into a game you want to be a part of for quite a long time." Smedley went on to mention the entry-level price point ($19.99) and he also addressed comparisons between H1Z1 and Day Z.
"Is H1Z1 going to be better than Day Z day one? No it won't. We'll get asked that question a lot and I wanted to be up front about it," Smedley explained. "We're not as feature-rich and they have a lot of really cool stuff we just don't have yet. That being said, we're also a different game. We're an MMO and our goals are to create a large scale world that gives you the incredible feeling of being a survivor in a zombie apocalypse."
- Black Desert rolls into Korean open beta on December 17th.
- We had a looksee at Elite: Dangerous' gamma 1 build.
- Elder Scrolls Online has apparently further delayed the launch of its console version.
- The Crew departs our list this week following its formal launch.
- Shards Online crossed another crowdfund threshold and will add a permadeath ruleset.
- Camelot Unchained kept us updated in its next pre-alpha test phase.
- The Repopulation made plans to expand its alpha even more.
- Age of Wulin officially launched in Europe.
- Nerd Kingdom is hopeful about an investor for TUG.
- Friend of Massively Steparu updated us on the Korean betas for Soul Master Online, Closers Online, and Luna Moonlight Thieves.
The team's also added a $9.99 version on iOS devices that includes the full Lyrius campaign, in-game currency, and weapons. Both Android and iOS mobile platforms have access to the first three missions of the squad-based game for free.
Line of Defense Tactics actually allows players to query the MMO database for information on units and equipment to help in their tactical battles.
The update, Chapter 3: Wisdom is a Journey, marks the end of open beta for EU's counterpart to Age of Wushu. Wisdom is a Journey includes a new internal skill, a higher skill cap, team activities, titles for divorced characters, and PvP tournaments. For those who crave the game's open world PvP setting, there is now the option to become a "Jianghu treasure assassin" and kill all rivals who are out for the same glorious rewards.
You can read up on the patch notes for Chapter 3 as well as get an overview of the update's features on the official site.
Ubisoft's Serkan Hasan assured reporters last week that game would be free of the turmoil that usually accompanies MMO launches. The studio had taken criticism from refusing to grant launch previews to media because MMOs are just too hard to review without all the players in place.
The standard version of the game is available for around 60 bucks, depending on your platform and retailer of choice. The launch trailer is below.
Posted on Dec 19th 2014 8:00PM
Posted on Dec 19th 2014 6:00PM
Posted on Dec 19th 2014 11:00AM