- Massively's Justin investigated how Hellgate survived being Flagshipped.
- We examined MMOTCG HEX's closed beta and compared it to Hearthstone.
- Elite: Dangerous' pricing scheme was announced.
- Kukulkan, Serpent of the Nine Winds, slithered into SMITE.
- Marvel Heroes welcomed Rogue into its fold.
- The Crew fired up a new gameplay trailer.
- Star Citizen's racing module went live; the team also announced Citizen Con for October.
- Riot Games kicked off a new e-sports documentary.
- Chaos Heroes Online is now in closed beta.
- Heroes of the Storm introduced a 64-bit client for its technical alpha.
- Wanna hear snippets of MMO composer Chance Thomas' Dota 2 score?
- Sci-fi sandbox Beyond Sol angled for Steam greenlighting.
- A new World of Speed trailer wub wubbed its way through Moscow.
- TUG says multiplayer is still on the way.
- DayZ reminds everyone what early access really means.
- Hearthstone planned balance changes, including nerfs to the Leeroy Jenkins card.
- Vainglory is a new MOBA for Apple fanatics.
- Players discovered a serious Diablo III exploit.
- And of course, Destiny launched, patched, and made a bajillion dollars and scored a free song its first week.
The game launched on the iPad in April and is aiming at an Android tablet release in the near future, as well as expanding to iOS/Android phones. Hearthstone will also have its first world championship at Blizzcon this year, with contestants fighting for a $250,000 prize pool.
[Source: Blizzard Entertainment press release]
Betas, Video, Business Models, Patches, Previews, PvP, News Items, Free-to-Play, Mobile, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, MOBA, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Path of Exile, Buy-to-Play, Hearthstone
- Destiny is now live! Did you catch the launch trailers?
- League of Legends is rebooting its lore.
- The Stomping Land vanished from Steam.
- What do you play while waiting for Star Citizen's delayed Arena Commander module?
- We looked at Upsilon Circuit, Tome, and Wander at PAX Prime.
- Path of Exile unveiled more of the Hall of the Grandmasters and new flame effects.
- Phantasy Star Online 2's western release isn't a lost cause.
- The Witcher MOBA is now in closed beta on Android.
- Hearthstone announces its sixth season and a new piratey card back.
- Elite: Dangerous released its latest newsletter, this one on exploration.
- Warframe launched on the Xbox One.
- R2Games announced Mythborne, a new OARPG.
- ESPN's head honcho says e-sports aren't sports.
- Firefly Online is recruiting beta testers. (Thanks, Natasha.)
Purchasing a virtual ticket will give you access to bonus in-game goods for World of Warcraft, Diablo III, StarCraft II, Heroes of the Storm, and Hearthstone, although the details are not yet available. All of the streams are also available in high definition and can be re-watched, so you needn't worry about missing something. If you've already purchased a physical ticket, you still have access to a virtual ticket as well, so you can still take advantage of the streaming. Everyone who wants to attend can at least get something like that experience.
As in previous months, success in ranked play will earn you bonuses toward the next season, but even if you start at or above Rank 20 this season you'll need to play at least one ranked match to earn the new card back. Fortunately, you have plenty of time to do just that if you want your deck to tell opponents that they'd better buckle their swashes.
Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Classes, Events (Real-World), Game Mechanics, Patches, PvP, News Items, War, Free-to-Play, Marvel Heroes, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, MOBA, Diablo III, Destiny, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar, Elite: Dangerous, Buy-to-Play, Hearthstone
- Massively's Justin took The Crew's beta and Shroud of the Avatar out for a spin.
- Dota 2 landed e-sports on the front page of the New York Times over the weekend.
- We took a look at MOBAs Strife (now in open beta) and Heroes of the Storm at PAX Prime. HOTS released an interactive battleground page as well.
- Star Citizen's Arena Commander V0.9 patch was delayed.
- Diablo III's 2.10 patch released with week of in-game bonuses.
- Why Marvel Heroes is the industry's surprise success story.
- We talked to the Hearthstone team, which just added a new member, about its upcoming expansion (yes, another one). The latest season of ranked play has now ended.
- Chaos Heroes Online posted a new core features video.
- Elite: Dangerous' latest newsletter discusses upcoming mission additions.
- We got the scoop on State of Decay and Moonrise at PAX.
- NGames announced closed beta for Call of Alliance.
- Pre-order Destiny on Xbox One to pre-load it before launch.
- Heroes & Generals topped 2.6 million registered players.
- We gave away a ton of Dizzel in-game item keys.
- Motiga introduced two new Gigantic heroes via livestream and showed off new gameplay footage.
- TUG's latest update included predators, apothecary, alchemy, and terrain tweaks.
I talked with Game Director Eric Dodds about how this small project at Blizzard blew up into a great success story. He said that when the team noticed that Twitch livestreams of Hearthstone were drawing in thousands and tens of thousands of viewers is when the studio knew that it had a hit on its hands.
Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Expansions, Game Mechanics, Patches, Previews, PvP, News Items, Hellgate: London, Free-to-Play, Mobile, Trading Card Games, Consoles, Crime, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, World of Warplanes, MOBA, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Path of Exile, Buy-to-Play, Hearthstone
- Remember Hellgate? It's back, this time on Steam Greenlight.
- Path of Exile launched its Forsaken Masters minispansion.
- Destiny devs explained its lack of trade functionality, released its launch trailer, and took the ice bucket challenge.
- GTA Online's San Andreas Flight School update released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
- SMITE released new Mayan god Cabrakan and a reward program for its world championships.
- Star Citizen's next stretch goal is a player dispute staff position at CIG.
- The Witcher: Battle Arena mobile game launched a trailer and Android beta signups.
- World of Warplanes added a new PvE mode called Battle Against Bots.
- Transformers Universe introduced two new heroes, Macro and Firebreaker.
- The latest Elite: Dangerous newsletter featured the mechanics of outposts and smuggling.
- Hearthstone released another wing of its Naxxramas expansion: Frostwyrm Lair.
- Diablo III's Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition landed in brick-and-mortar stores.
- MOBA Chaos Heroes posted a video describing its development history.
Gamasutra reports that Blizzard's partner in the region, NetEase, posted a "modest rise" in both profit and revenue during the second quarter. The company reported revenue of $376.6M, a rise of 13% from last year. This financial summary includes NetEase's own titles along with World of Warcraft, StarCraft II, and Hearthstone. Hearthstone was singled out as a "strong earner" due to its recent launch in the region.
Both Blizzard and NetEase are working to bring Diablo III and Heroes of the Storm to the country in the future.
The CE, which is priced at $89.99 on Amazon, includes the full game, a behind-the-scenes DVD/Blu-ray set, the soundtrack, a 160-page art book, and a mouse pad. Of course, if digital goodies are more your style, then you'll be happy to know that you'll get a Dread Raven mount and Dread Hatchling pet for World of Warcraft, two StarCraft II portraits, a pennant for Diablo III, and a custom card back for Hearthstone.
Blizzard said that supplies of the collector's edition are limited.
Betas, Fantasy, Real-Life, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Patches, PvP, News Items, MMOFPS, Not So Massively, MOBA, Diablo III, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Path of Exile, Hearthstone
- Diablo III has now sold 20 million copies across all platforms; Blizzard has also enabled cross-platform saves.
- The Crew will launch its second beta round on August 25th.
- We peeked in on Heroes of the Storm's alpha.
- Hearthstone's single-player Naxxramas Military Quarter opened its doors.
- Paul McCartney's Destiny music track will follow the game's release.
- Star Citizen opened Arena Commander to backers and released a CTF mode.
- An Ubisoft analyst criticized League of Legends' business model.
- SMITE posted a new Zeus model and a complete update of Nu Wa.
- Meet Haku, one of Path of Exile's new Forsaken Masters due in this month's expansion.
- The Games of Glory MOBA canceled its Kickstarter thanks to an influx of private investment.
- Wanna get paid to make War Thunder content?
- Chaos Heroes Online revealed its MOBA roster.
- Elite: Dangerous prepared for beta 2 with an official app release.
- Atari's MOBA, Minimum, is now $9.99 on Steam.
- The Stomping Land swapped engines to use Unreal Engine 4.
- World of Speed launched its Gamescom trailer.
- Shadowrun Online's early access build added two-player cooperative gameplay.
Betas, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Classes, Events (Real-World), Game Mechanics, Launches, MMO Industry, Patches, Previews, PvP, Endgame, News Items, Mobile, MMOFPS, World of Tanks, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, Sandbox, Dungeons, MOBA, League of Legends, Diablo III, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Hearthstone
- Path of Exile announced its second miniexpansion, Forsaken Masters, and released a new digital comic.
- Destiny discussed its endgame systems, level cap, and beta turnout.
- MOBA Gigantic revealed playable character Charnok, the draconic sorcerer.
- League of Legends unveiled new champion Gnar. GNAR SMASH, etc.
- Ultima Forever will sunset on August 29th. Forever.
- Games of Glory talked up its persistent MOBA universe.
- Got 50 bucks? You can afford Star Citizen's newest ship.
- Elite: Dangerous' premium beta 1 is now underway.
- Oort Online hopes to satisfy your itch for online Minecraft.
- Mobile MMO Dawn of the Immortals released its launch trailer (see it after the cut).
- Aeria Games will publish new MOBA Chaos Heroes this fall.
- Snail's King of Wushu MOBA also nabbed a new trailer.
- World of Tanks will include strongholds in its next big update.
- Hearthstone unlocked the doors to the Plague Quarter in its Naxxramas rollout.
- Our sister site Joystiq peeked at the Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition PS4 pre-order bonuses.
The Plague Quarter has unlocked for players, but unlike the free taste of the Arachnid Quarter, this one will require gold to purchase. Inside the quarter, you will find Noth the Plaguebringer, Heigan the Unclean, and the big boss Loatheb.
Players that master the Plague Quarter not only will be treated to new cards for their collection but can also go on to tackle two class challenges with additional card rewards.
[Thanks to Dengar for the tip!]
Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Events (Real-World), Events (In-Game), Launches, New Titles, Previews, PvP, News Items, Free-to-Play, MMOFPS, DUST 514, Not So Massively, Sandbox, MOBA, League of Legends, Firefall, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Shroud of the Avatar, Path of Exile, Hearthstone
- Destiny closed the gates on beta until its launch in September. Analysts predict as many as 20 million units could be sold.
- SMITE posted dates for its world championship event in Atlanta, Georgia: January 9th through 11th, 2015.
- Heroes of the Storm announced new hero Rehgar Earthfury.
- Former Destiny composer Marty O'Donnell settled his lawsuit against Bungie for "$95,000 in unpaid work, vacation time and damages."
- League of Legends unveiled new cinematic, A New Dawn, and cracked down on bad seeds.
- ESPN says it is "delighted" with Dota 2's tournament performance.
- Warframe has opened up PC-to-PS4 account migrations through Friday. (Thanks, Olorunsegun Adewumi.)
- Firefall implemented new raids just ahead of its relaunch.
- Hearthstone opened up the first wing of Naxxramas.
- Transformers Universe now has motorbikes because of course it does.
- Games of Glory launched Steam Greenlight and Kickstarter campaigns.
- Path of Exile ends the sale of its supporter packs at midnight tonight.
- DUST 514 shut down its Oceania server.
- Riot Games promised to increase diversity in League of Legends.
- Shroud of the Avatar posted beta release 8, which emphasizes tutorials and PvP.
Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Launches, New Titles, Patches, Previews, PvP, News Items, War, Free-to-Play, MMOFPS, World of Tanks, Not So Massively, MOBA, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Shroud of the Avatar, Hearthstone, The Division
- Destiny's beta arrived on PlayStation consoles over the weekend; the game is offline for maintenance right now but will return on the 23rd. We also took a peek inside the special edition, learned why the game will have no cross-platform play, and bid farewell to one of the month's lamest memes.
- Meanwhile, Dota 2 continued to make history with The International tournament and its $10 million prize pool. Chinese "dream team" Newbee was crowned champion just a few hours ago.
- Hearthstone's Naxxramas expansion begins its rollout tomorrow; new cards were unveiled today.
- The Crew's PC closed beta earlier today. Vroom!
- Heroes of the Storm described its Garden of Terror map.
- Shroud of the Avatar prepped a major PvP update.
- Here comes another new MOBA: Gigantic is on the way.
- Nerd Kingdom spoke to us about the TUG/Yogventures debacle.
- World of Tanks delivered a big update for Xbox 360 players.
- Deadbreed, a new MOBA, is now in early access on Steam.
- Elite: Dangerous still plans to launch this year.
- The Division posted its E3 gameplay video.
- Warframe launched its Mad Cephalon update (thanks, Sorenthaz).
- World of Speed released a video of a race through Moscow.
- Zombies Monsters Robots is now in open beta (thanks, MetaDune).
Posted on Nov 25th 2014 8:00AM
Posted on Nov 24th 2014 9:00PM
Not So Massively: Elite's refund controversy, Civ Online's closed beta, and Ghost in the Shell's G-Star debut
Posted on Nov 24th 2014 8:00PM