In the mini-game, players have seven attempts daily to find as many blue gems as possible on a board of 21 gems. To win a closed beta key one should collect 5 blue gems. Along the way they'll find several surprises, and a special leaderboard will keep track of players' progress. The top 20 players on the leaderboard each week will also receive an invitation to Skyforge closed beta. Additionally, the player who places in first in the leaderboard rankings each week will receive a Sound Blaster EVO ZXR Headset. Other prizes include an exclusive Skyforge Souvenir Gift Set, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 graphics card.Hey, at least it's novel, right? The game's first technical beta ran earlier in November. We don't yet know exactly when the beta will begin, though given the duration of this promotion, we can hazard a guess.
It's always a blast to see what gifts I end up getting (and they are always geeky), and I wanted to encourage others to be a part of this. You'll need to sign up by December 1st if you do, however! It's grown every year, but this year I'm giving a bit of Massively publicity, so let's see if we can make this the biggest year ever!
Another blogger-driven Christmas initiative is Syl's Blogosphere Xmas Countdown, during which she's assigning various blogs a day to write about the theme of positive gaming and community. Keep an eye on MMO Gypsy to see this advent countdown progress!
Gamma is open to everyone who crowdfunded via Kickstarter or Frontier's website prior to mid-December 2013, and it unlocks "the full 400 billion star systems of the most advanced virtual representation of the Milky Way galaxy ever created for a videogame," according to a company press release.
You can download the Elite companion app via iTunes right now. Frontier says Android and Windows Phone versions are "expected before the end of the year.
[Source: Frontier press release]
Civilization Online is currently in Korean closed beta, but from the looks of this video, it's coming along nicely. The trailer shows players working together to construct a bridge over a chasm, build cities, assemble armies, and engage on that most sacred of pre-fight rituals, happy drumming. Check it out after the break!
The stream begins at 7 p.m. EST on Wednesday, November 19th, on the official Wander Twitch channel.
Check out the new trailers below.
Aion: Legion will be a tactical RPG with plenty of strategy, tactics, and raids. It's being planned for both iOS and Android devices and should run fine on phones and tablets even a couple of years old. Then there's Blade & Soul: Mobile, which will boast a cuter look and a love-story focus. There have been no release dates or windows announced for either title.
We've got the G-Star trailers for both games after the break, so let us know if they get you revved up!
Steparu.com has translated all of the G-Star 2014 documents relating to the game and confirms that it is indeed an "open-world MMORPG" with mouse cursor movement, 20-man raids, random and dynamic dungeons, PvP, and no "generic questing system." According to Steparu, NCsoft is testing a new cloud gaming system that will nullify the need for a Korean account to play the company's games. Instead, gamers can just link a social media account to play.
Lineage Eternal is apparently slated for a "2016 or later" release; closed beta is now planned for the first half of 2015. Check out the new G-Star videos below.
Polygon reports that in honor of the Warlords of Draenor launch, the Xujiahui subway station in Shanghai has been decorated with WoW promotional materials, including a scaled-down but still swanky replica of the Dark Portal with a flat screen positioned in the center where the portal ought to go. Cameras embedded in the structure teleport subwaygoers into the action.
In WoW lore, the Dark Portal was once the gateway between Azeroth and Outland but now links Draenor to the core gameworld. Plus, it looks pretty badass as a real-life simulacrum.
We've included the promo video below.
First announced at BlizzCon 2013, Warlords of Draenor opened its doors at 3 a.m. EST this morning, so you would be forgiven for having slept through the start. And what would a launch day be without rolling restarts, giant patch notes, and overloaded, bottlenecked entry zones? Wheee!
In honor of the launch, we've rounded up the best WoW and Draenor stories from the past year for your perusal during today's inevitable downtimes. Who's playin'?
MMO Culture reports that NCsoft MMO Project HON will likewise be playable and that the company plans to announce a "mystery game" a few days before the con opens on November 20th.
We've included the G-Star teaser vid below; it includes quick flashes of Lineage, Lineage II, Aion, and Blade & Soul too.
WoW's Warlords of Draenor expansion launches this Thursday. Holla if you know of an Etsy shop where we can buy some #WARLORDS crime scene tape; that has to be a thing someone makes, right?
Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Super-hero, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Events (Real-World), Game Mechanics, Lore, New Titles, Patches, Previews, PvP, News Items, War, Free-to-Play, Mobile, Trading Card Games, Consoles, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, MOBA, League of Legends, Diablo III, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, HEX, Hearthstone, The Division, OARPG, Overwatch
- Blizzard announced online team-shooter Overwatch at BlizzCon. Chris Metzen says Blizzard is trying to build a more representative game with less hypersexualization.
- Hearthstone is launching in December and getting a new expansion: Goblins vs. Gnomes.
- EA's MOBA Dawngate is shutting down in three months.
- League of Legends introduced Kalista, the Spear of Vengeance.
- MMOTCG HEX dropped its beta key requirement but denied that it is in open beta.
- Heroes of the Storm's closed beta starts January 13th. It's also getting a sweet Diablo III-themed map.
- Diablo III previewed its upcoming season. According to content designer Kevin Martens, Diablo was once considered for an MMO, but no longer.
- David Braben says Elite: Dangerous' December 16th launch date is "sensible."
- Star Citizen passed $60 million in fundraising.
- Quirky indie MMOFPS Hunternet boasts 700-player battles.
- World of Tanks' 9.4 patch added Stalingrad map and tweaked strongholds.
- The Crew hinted at a new "PvP mode" and season passes.
- MechWarrior Online's latest dev vlog covered inner sphere quirks and faction switching.
- Ubisoft said that The Division's PC experience won't suffer because of consoles.
- Some jerk swatted a Bungie/Destiny exec; the internet demands prison time for said jerk.
- The latest World of Speed vid features nearly four minutes of gameplay.
- Bigpoint's Shards of War introduced a new sentinel, Vox.
- Undead Labs discussed balance in Moonrise.
- Dota is now the subject of a course at Chongqing Energy College in China.
BlizzCon 2014 dominated the weekend in all corners of the Joystiq network, Massively included. Blizzard not only announced OFPS Overwatch but spilled details on Hearthstone's upcoming expansion, Diablo III, Heroes of the Storm, the Warcraft movie, and the World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor expansion launching this coming Thursday. We've rounded up all the best bits from Massively and WoW Insider right here!
Read on for a look at the rest of this week's top MMO stories.
Posted on Jan 25th 2015 10:00AM
Posted on Jan 25th 2015 8:00AM
Posted on Jan 24th 2015 9:00PM