There's a brief preview trailer of the site in action just past the cut.
There's a brief preview trailer of the site in action just past the cut.
Opening raids for the first time is meant to be challenging; the devs shared an anecdote about players taking 45 minutes just to get in the front door. The developers are confident that players will be able to tackle raids more quickly once the raids are better known. There's also discussion about the weekly lockout, which will save your progress as you move through the raids. Take a look at the official update for more details.
Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Classes, Events (Real-World), Game Mechanics, Patches, PvP, News Items, War, Free-to-Play, Marvel Heroes, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, MOBA, Diablo III, Destiny, Star Citizen, Shroud of the Avatar, Elite: Dangerous, Buy-to-Play, Hearthstone
- Massively's Justin took The Crew's beta and Shroud of the Avatar out for a spin.
- Dota 2 landed e-sports on the front page of the New York Times over the weekend.
- We took a look at MOBAs Strife (now in open beta) and Heroes of the Storm at PAX Prime. HOTS released an interactive battleground page as well.
- Star Citizen's Arena Commander V0.9 patch was delayed.
- Diablo III's 2.10 patch released with week of in-game bonuses.
- Why Marvel Heroes is the industry's surprise success story.
- We talked to the Hearthstone team, which just added a new member, about its upcoming expansion (yes, another one). The latest season of ranked play has now ended.
- Chaos Heroes Online posted a new core features video.
- Elite: Dangerous' latest newsletter discusses upcoming mission additions.
- We got the scoop on State of Decay and Moonrise at PAX.
- NGames announced closed beta for Call of Alliance.
- Pre-order Destiny on Xbox One to pre-load it before launch.
- Heroes & Generals topped 2.6 million registered players.
- We gave away a ton of Dizzel in-game item keys.
- Motiga introduced two new Gigantic heroes via livestream and showed off new gameplay footage.
- TUG's latest update included predators, apothecary, alchemy, and terrain tweaks.
Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Expansions, Game Mechanics, Patches, Previews, PvP, News Items, Hellgate: London, Free-to-Play, Mobile, Trading Card Games, Consoles, Crime, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, World of Warplanes, MOBA, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Path of Exile, Buy-to-Play, Hearthstone
- Remember Hellgate? It's back, this time on Steam Greenlight.
- Path of Exile launched its Forsaken Masters minispansion.
- Destiny devs explained its lack of trade functionality, released its launch trailer, and took the ice bucket challenge.
- GTA Online's San Andreas Flight School update released for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
- SMITE released new Mayan god Cabrakan and a reward program for its world championships.
- Star Citizen's next stretch goal is a player dispute staff position at CIG.
- The Witcher: Battle Arena mobile game launched a trailer and Android beta signups.
- World of Warplanes added a new PvE mode called Battle Against Bots.
- Transformers Universe introduced two new heroes, Macro and Firebreaker.
- The latest Elite: Dangerous newsletter featured the mechanics of outposts and smuggling.
- Hearthstone released another wing of its Naxxramas expansion: Frostwyrm Lair.
- Diablo III's Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition landed in brick-and-mortar stores.
- MOBA Chaos Heroes posted a video describing its development history.
"We want you to earn 'em. You should be able to tell a badass story for every sweet jewel in your arsenal," Bungie wrote on its blog last week. "Once you earn them, the various Guardians under your account will be able to trade them, but weapons belong to the players who acquire them through action and bravery."
The team reported that it did one final internal playtest of the game this past weekend: "Though Destiny may be basking in the gold light of release, we're already looking ahead to the next milestone, and the next one after that."
The sci-fantasy shooter releases for PlayStation and Xbox platforms on September 9th.
Not So Massively: Path of Exiles' Master of the Hunt, Destiny's expansion, and BioWare's Shadow Realms
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Events (Real-World), Game Mechanics, Patches, Previews, PvP, News Items, Free-to-Play, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, MOBA, League of Legends, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Path of Exile
- We took an exclusive first look at Path of Exile's Tora, Master of the Hunt.
- Destiny released Mars and Venus trailers and announced its first expansion.
- BioWare announced Shadow Realms, a D&D-inspired co-op dungeon crawler.
- Lineage Eternal's first closed beta is coming to Korea this winter.
- SMITE is headed to the Xbox One.
- Heroes of the Storm revealed new heroes Anub'arak, Azmodan, and Chen Stormstout.
- Shroud of the Avatar posted its opening cinematic (it's after the break).
- Diablo III previewed its new Vault content.
- War Thunder promises a 360-degree panoramic VR view with Project Morpheus.
- The Crew is coming to Xbox 360 but not PS3 or Wii U.
- Elite: Dangerous elaborated on the Stellar Forge system in a new newsletter.
- League of Legends spotlighted Gnar in a new video.
- Riot Games is starting programs to help support retired e-sports players.
- DayZ is headed to the PlayStation 4.
- Warframe announced new Archwing gameplay mode.
- Skara: The Blade Remains plans its launch for October 9th.
Yes, the latest Destiny trailer is giving a quick peek at the planet, and while it's not replete with detailed information, it's enough of a tease to get fans excited. Click on past the break to see the planet for yourself before the game launches on September 9th.
"The Vanguard shot that looks like I'm in a cave is actually because I flew my griffon straight into the peak of a mountain. Thanks to Vanguard's being the lovely lump of lovable bugs it is, I fell off my mount and right through the mountain," Agemyth writes. "Silly Vanguard, I thought, but instead of falling to the bottom of the virtual world as typically happens, I fell on top of a dungeon of some kind! I never got to explore Vanguard as much as I had hoped, but what started as an annoying bug ended up being a shortcut to an ancient forgotten underground structure soon to be forgotten for good by the end of Telon itself.
"In Vanguard's final hours, it showed me the beauty of its true open-world design. You never know what mysteries lie below the dirt when your world is designed to be lived in rather than 'progressed' through."
It looks as though mankind had made a previous stab at colonizing Mars, but now it's a desolate wasteland where dunes are reclaiming skyscrapers. If the video is to be believed, it's not exactly devoid of inhabitants, however. You can see it for yourself after the break.
Bungie also released a new competitive multiplayer trailer. Aliens are threatening our way of life and our very existence, but that doesn't mean that we can't take a break from combating this common threat and squabble amongst ourselves, right? Destiny will allow just that with its competitive multiplayer mode, also known as "PvP" if you're new to MMOs.
This game mode will take place in the Crucible, a skirmish arena full of good hidey-holes and a ton of objectives for teams to accomplish. There will be special gear that can be attained by duking it out, so at least you have that justification when your commanding officer asks why you're not out there fighting the invaders.
The video is below.
Betas, Fantasy, Real-Life, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Patches, PvP, News Items, MMOFPS, Not So Massively, MOBA, Diablo III, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Path of Exile, Hearthstone
- Diablo III has now sold 20 million copies across all platforms; Blizzard has also enabled cross-platform saves.
- The Crew will launch its second beta round on August 25th.
- We peeked in on Heroes of the Storm's alpha.
- Hearthstone's single-player Naxxramas Military Quarter opened its doors.
- Paul McCartney's Destiny music track will follow the game's release.
- Star Citizen opened Arena Commander to backers and released a CTF mode.
- An Ubisoft analyst criticized League of Legends' business model.
- SMITE posted a new Zeus model and a complete update of Nu Wa.
- Meet Haku, one of Path of Exile's new Forsaken Masters due in this month's expansion.
- The Games of Glory MOBA canceled its Kickstarter thanks to an influx of private investment.
- Wanna get paid to make War Thunder content?
- Chaos Heroes Online revealed its MOBA roster.
- Elite: Dangerous prepared for beta 2 with an official app release.
- Atari's MOBA, Minimum, is now $9.99 on Steam.
- The Stomping Land swapped engines to use Unreal Engine 4.
- World of Speed launched its Gamescom trailer.
- Shadowrun Online's early access build added two-player cooperative gameplay.
McCartney joined the project in 2010, joining Composer Marty O'Donnell in creating the score for the game. He claimed to be intrigued by the challenge of writing music for this type of game and met with O'Donnell at London's Abbey Road Studios to work on it.
In fact, the theme song for Destiny is a Paul McCartney original and will be released as a single following the game's launch. The title of the theme song has not been revealed, but its theme is about "hope."
So, how about it Massively shooter fans? If you had to pick one of those three titles as your go-to gunplay fix, which would it be? Vote after the cut!
Ever wish that you could put to rest a long-standing MMO debate once and for all? Then welcome to the battle royal of Massively's Leaderboard, where two sides enter the pit o' judgment -- and only one leaves. Vote to make your opinion known, and see whether your choice tops the Leaderboard!
Hirshberg cited digital consumption upticks as well as wide launch-day availability as factors in the declining popularity of pre-orders. He also said that pre-orders are "just one data point that we look at when determining the momentum of a franchise," and that awareness and "purchase intent" on Activision's Destiny is "at an all-time high and climbing when compared to any other new game intellectual property this distance from launch."
Posted on Sep 29th 2014 8:00PM
Posted on Sep 29th 2014 12:00PM
Posted on Sep 29th 2014 8:00AM