The sci-fantasy shooter releases for PlayStation and Xbox platforms on September 9th.
The sci-fantasy shooter releases for PlayStation and Xbox platforms on September 9th.
Not So Massively: Path of Exiles' Master of the Hunt, Destiny's expansion, and BioWare's Shadow Realms
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Events (Real-World), Game Mechanics, Patches, Previews, PvP, News Items, Free-to-Play, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, MOBA, League of Legends, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Path of Exile
- We took an exclusive first look at Path of Exile's Tora, Master of the Hunt.
- Destiny released Mars and Venus trailers and announced its first expansion.
- BioWare announced Shadow Realms, a D&D-inspired co-op dungeon crawler.
- Lineage Eternal's first closed beta is coming to Korea this winter.
- SMITE is headed to the Xbox One.
- Heroes of the Storm revealed new heroes Anub'arak, Azmodan, and Chen Stormstout.
- Shroud of the Avatar posted its opening cinematic (it's after the break).
- Diablo III previewed its new Vault content.
- War Thunder promises a 360-degree panoramic VR view with Project Morpheus.
- The Crew is coming to Xbox 360 but not PS3 or Wii U.
- Elite: Dangerous elaborated on the Stellar Forge system in a new newsletter.
- League of Legends spotlighted Gnar in a new video.
- Riot Games is starting programs to help support retired e-sports players.
- DayZ is headed to the PlayStation 4.
- Warframe announced new Archwing gameplay mode.
- Skara: The Blade Remains plans its launch for October 9th.
Yes, the latest Destiny trailer is giving a quick peek at the planet, and while it's not replete with detailed information, it's enough of a tease to get fans excited. Click on past the break to see the planet for yourself before the game launches on September 9th.
"The Vanguard shot that looks like I'm in a cave is actually because I flew my griffon straight into the peak of a mountain. Thanks to Vanguard's being the lovely lump of lovable bugs it is, I fell off my mount and right through the mountain," Agemyth writes. "Silly Vanguard, I thought, but instead of falling to the bottom of the virtual world as typically happens, I fell on top of a dungeon of some kind! I never got to explore Vanguard as much as I had hoped, but what started as an annoying bug ended up being a shortcut to an ancient forgotten underground structure soon to be forgotten for good by the end of Telon itself.
"In Vanguard's final hours, it showed me the beauty of its true open-world design. You never know what mysteries lie below the dirt when your world is designed to be lived in rather than 'progressed' through."
It looks as though mankind had made a previous stab at colonizing Mars, but now it's a desolate wasteland where dunes are reclaiming skyscrapers. If the video is to be believed, it's not exactly devoid of inhabitants, however. You can see it for yourself after the break.
Bungie also released a new competitive multiplayer trailer. Aliens are threatening our way of life and our very existence, but that doesn't mean that we can't take a break from combating this common threat and squabble amongst ourselves, right? Destiny will allow just that with its competitive multiplayer mode, also known as "PvP" if you're new to MMOs.
This game mode will take place in the Crucible, a skirmish arena full of good hidey-holes and a ton of objectives for teams to accomplish. There will be special gear that can be attained by duking it out, so at least you have that justification when your commanding officer asks why you're not out there fighting the invaders.
The video is below.
Betas, Fantasy, Real-Life, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Patches, PvP, News Items, MMOFPS, Not So Massively, MOBA, Diablo III, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Path of Exile, Hearthstone
- Diablo III has now sold 20 million copies across all platforms; Blizzard has also enabled cross-platform saves.
- The Crew will launch its second beta round on August 25th.
- We peeked in on Heroes of the Storm's alpha.
- Hearthstone's single-player Naxxramas Military Quarter opened its doors.
- Paul McCartney's Destiny music track will follow the game's release.
- Star Citizen opened Arena Commander to backers and released a CTF mode.
- An Ubisoft analyst criticized League of Legends' business model.
- SMITE posted a new Zeus model and a complete update of Nu Wa.
- Meet Haku, one of Path of Exile's new Forsaken Masters due in this month's expansion.
- The Games of Glory MOBA canceled its Kickstarter thanks to an influx of private investment.
- Wanna get paid to make War Thunder content?
- Chaos Heroes Online revealed its MOBA roster.
- Elite: Dangerous prepared for beta 2 with an official app release.
- Atari's MOBA, Minimum, is now $9.99 on Steam.
- The Stomping Land swapped engines to use Unreal Engine 4.
- World of Speed launched its Gamescom trailer.
- Shadowrun Online's early access build added two-player cooperative gameplay.
McCartney joined the project in 2010, joining Composer Marty O'Donnell in creating the score for the game. He claimed to be intrigued by the challenge of writing music for this type of game and met with O'Donnell at London's Abbey Road Studios to work on it.
In fact, the theme song for Destiny is a Paul McCartney original and will be released as a single following the game's launch. The title of the theme song has not been revealed, but its theme is about "hope."
So, how about it Massively shooter fans? If you had to pick one of those three titles as your go-to gunplay fix, which would it be? Vote after the cut!
Ever wish that you could put to rest a long-standing MMO debate once and for all? Then welcome to the battle royal of Massively's Leaderboard, where two sides enter the pit o' judgment -- and only one leaves. Vote to make your opinion known, and see whether your choice tops the Leaderboard!
Hirshberg cited digital consumption upticks as well as wide launch-day availability as factors in the declining popularity of pre-orders. He also said that pre-orders are "just one data point that we look at when determining the momentum of a franchise," and that awareness and "purchase intent" on Activision's Destiny is "at an all-time high and climbing when compared to any other new game intellectual property this distance from launch."
Betas, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Classes, Events (Real-World), Game Mechanics, Launches, MMO Industry, Patches, Previews, PvP, Endgame, News Items, Mobile, MMOFPS, World of Tanks, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, Sandbox, Dungeons, MOBA, League of Legends, Diablo III, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Elite: Dangerous, Hearthstone
- Path of Exile announced its second miniexpansion, Forsaken Masters, and released a new digital comic.
- Destiny discussed its endgame systems, level cap, and beta turnout.
- MOBA Gigantic revealed playable character Charnok, the draconic sorcerer.
- League of Legends unveiled new champion Gnar. GNAR SMASH, etc.
- Ultima Forever will sunset on August 29th. Forever.
- Games of Glory talked up its persistent MOBA universe.
- Got 50 bucks? You can afford Star Citizen's newest ship.
- Elite: Dangerous' premium beta 1 is now underway.
- Oort Online hopes to satisfy your itch for online Minecraft.
- Mobile MMO Dawn of the Immortals released its launch trailer (see it after the cut).
- Aeria Games will publish new MOBA Chaos Heroes this fall.
- Snail's King of Wushu MOBA also nabbed a new trailer.
- World of Tanks will include strongholds in its next big update.
- Hearthstone unlocked the doors to the Plague Quarter in its Naxxramas rollout.
- Our sister site Joystiq peeked at the Diablo III Ultimate Evil Edition PS4 pre-order bonuses.
Among the stats revealed were 6.5 million characters created, an 853K concurrency rate on Saturday, 3.7 billion kills, and 777K users of the official phone app. "At its peak, the Destiny beta became the most simultaneously played Bungie game of all time," Bungie said. "There were more people online at the same time to play Destiny than any other game in our history."
You can check out the full infographic after the jump!
Eurogamer reports that while the level cap is technically 20, you'll convert post-20 XP into something called Motes of Light, which can then be used to make special armor. Said armor will give you a stat boost that is necessary for some of Destiny's endgame raids.
Not into that sort of play? There's also a set of bounties available on a daily basis, aimed at rewarding players for what they're already doing and creating a parallel progression path along that line. There are also daily challenges and Nightfall activities to keep players going. If you're looking forward to the game and want a closer look at what you can get from endgame, hop on over to the full preview.
[Thanks to Olorunsegun Adewumi for the tip!]
"Hosting a beta at this scale is an incredible feat, so we're thrilled to see the phenomenal response. But the beta is just a taste of what's to come," said Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg. "This is the biggest beta of this console generation by a wide margin and the largest console beta ever for a new video game IP to date."
[Source: Bungie press release]
Posted on Aug 22nd 2014 8:00PM
Posted on Aug 22nd 2014 7:00PM
Posted on Aug 22nd 2014 3:00PM