Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Launches, New Titles, Patches, Previews, PvP, News Items, War, Free-to-Play, MMOFPS, World of Tanks, Not So Massively, MOBA, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Shroud of the Avatar, Hearthstone, The Division
- Destiny's beta arrived on PlayStation consoles over the weekend; the game is offline for maintenance right now but will return on the 23rd. We also took a peek inside the special edition, learned why the game will have no cross-platform play, and bid farewell to one of the month's lamest memes.
- Meanwhile, Dota 2 continued to make history with The International tournament and its $10 million prize pool. Chinese "dream team" Newbee was crowned champion just a few hours ago.
- Hearthstone's Naxxramas expansion begins its rollout tomorrow; new cards were unveiled today.
- The Crew's PC closed beta earlier today. Vroom!
- Heroes of the Storm described its Garden of Terror map.
- Shroud of the Avatar prepped a major PvP update.
- Here comes another new MOBA: Gigantic is on the way.
- Nerd Kingdom spoke to us about the TUG/Yogventures debacle.
- World of Tanks delivered a big update for Xbox 360 players.
- Deadbreed, a new MOBA, is now in early access on Steam.
- Elite: Dangerous still plans to launch this year.
- The Division posted its E3 gameplay video.
- Warframe launched its Mad Cephalon update (thanks, Sorenthaz).
- World of Speed released a video of a race through Moscow.
- Zombies Monsters Robots is now in open beta (thanks, MetaDune).
"I have a disadvantage sniping across the map because [my opponent with a next-gen console] is only two pixels on my screen and I'm four pixels on his," Bungie engineer Roger Wolfson told Digital Trends. "You see that in the world of PC gaming, where people are always racing to the best video card to give themselves the advantage."
This is especially true when you consider the fact that the Xbox One version won't have 1080p resolution at the beta launch on July 23, but Bungie is still gunning for 1080p on all consoles for September's launch.
Spoiler: It will not be.
We started talking the other day in the Massively office about just how much there's coming for the latter half of this year and why we're excited to see what the fall and winter months bring. There's so much to look forward to, in fact, that it was incredibly difficult to narrow it down to a mere 10 entries. But that's my job, and that's what I did. Here's why the second half of 2014 will be awesome.
But now, it seems Bungie listened to players and added a bit of effect to Dinklage's voice to spice things up a bit. The studio even went so far as to remove the now-internet-famous line, "That wizard came from the moon." Take a listen to the voiceover comparisons in the CVG video after the break to decide for yourself: did the mechanization of the audio improve things? Heck, it supposedly works for Britney Spears, right?
The Ghost Edition is the most expensive at $149.99 but offers plenty of feelies for your money, including a Ghost replica with sounds and lights, an exclusive ship skin, an exclusive emblem, and postcards (hey, some of us are postcard junkies, OK?). The Limited Edition ($99.99) includes most of the same items save the Ghost replica. The Digital Guardian Edition ($89.99) lacks the physical goods of the other two but does include the game, early access, the ship skin, and the in-game emblem.
All three special editions are packaged with the expansion pass that unlocks the first two DLC packs when they are released.
Sci-Fi, Business Models, Game Mechanics, New Titles, PvP, News Items, Mobile, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, MOBA, Diablo III, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Infinite Crisis, Path of Exile, Buy-to-Play, Hearthstone
- Dota 2's The International tournament is underway.
- Hearthstone's Curse of Naxxramas expansion will cost $24.99 to unlock fully.
- The folks behind Elite: Dangerous explained its price structure, console ideas, and beta build.
- Real-world mobile MMO Ingress formally launched on iOS.
- We took a look at two dino-survival pseudo-MMOs: Beasts of Prey and The Stomping Lands.
- League of Legends is developing new ways to appeal to newbies.
- Path of Exile is getting a comic book and a new expansion.
- Square-Enix is revising the Nosgoth founders program.
- Diablo III is headed to China.
- Star Citizen's crowfund broke the $48 million mark.
- Infinite Crisis is revamping its new player system.
- Gearbox has a new first-person MOBA en route; it's called Battleborn.
- Marvel Heroes introduced new playable hero Mr. Fantastic.
- MechWarrior Online plotted its own multi-part revamp.
- Heroes of Newerth announced a $10,000 map-making contest,
- CliffyB is making a new F2P shooter with MMO giant Nexon.
- Finally, Destiny is getting a mobile app. Check out a video walkthrough below.
- Archlord 2's open beta began, complete with a brand-new patch.
- Pathfinder Online released a new alpha client.
- World of Warcraft showed off its updated male Draenei models for Warlords of Draenor.
- We got our hands on two in-testing dino-survival MMOs: Beasts of Prey and The Stomping Lands.
- Destiny announced beta starts for PS4 on July 17th and Xbox on July 23rd.
- R2 Games' browser MMO Shadowbound opened its alpha on July 8th.
- Landmark enshrined its beta contest winners in the game world.
- We took a peek at Shroud of the Avatar's bonus test weekend.
For our inagural edition of Global Chat (yes, I'm recycling the name from a long-dormant feature on this site), we'll take a look at how outfits tie into identity, surviving MMOs as a chicken, a requiem for a gold farmer, and so much more!
Betas, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Video, Expansions, Game Mechanics, Lore, Previews, PvP, News Items, War, Free-to-Play, Consoles, MMOFPS, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, Transformers Universe, MOBA, League of Legends, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Hearthstone
- Destiny posted official July beta dates for PS3 and Xbox.
- Korea's IeSF stumbled but (mostly) found its footing in regard to tournament gender bans.
- Transformers Universe is now in open beta.
- The Witcher is getting a MOBA because everything is getting a MOBA.
- Dota 2 will sponsor noob-friendly broadcasts of its International tourney.
- Riot Games shut down many of League of Legends' public chat rooms.
- SMITE announced that its world championships will take place in January.
- Minecraft-inspired multiplayer sandbox UemeU is now on Steam greenlight.
- Star Citizen's devs have been hard at work on ships and persistent universe mechanics.
- MMOFPS Warface is now available on Steam.
- In prep for its upcoming expansion, Hearthstone caught us up on the lore of Naxxramas.
- Elite: Dangerous published its latest newsletter, this one including info on crime and punishment.
- Heroes of the Storm posted a new talent system overview video (it's behind the cut).
Despite the name, the Destiny Expansion Pass isn't for full-fledged expansions but for the first couple of post-launch content additions. The first pack, The Dark Below, will explore an ancient tomb underneath the Moon's surface. Bungie is promising exclusive PlayStation content for both expansion packs. Players can buy the expansion pass for $34.99 or individual packs for $19.99 apiece.
Alternatively, thrifty Destiny fans can pick up one of the special editions that come with the two DLC packs included. These packages include the Digital Guardian Edition ($89.99), the Limited Edition ($99.99), and the Ghost Edition ($149.99). While the editions each contain a different mix of goodies, by pre-ordering any of them players will have early access to weapons, gear, and emblems.
Bungie also released the official beta trailer, which you can watch after the break.
Betas, Sci-Fi, Trailers, Video, Business Models, Events (Real-World), Expansions, MMO Industry, Patches, PvP, News Items, Consoles, MMOFPS, DUST 514, Miscellaneous, Not So Massively, MOBA, Age of Wushu, Crowdfunding, Destiny, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Hearthstone
- Hearthstone's expansion, Curse of Naxxramas, launches in July.
- Star Citizen topped 47 million in crowdfund money; we examined the game's complexity.
- Stunlock Studios released a trailer for the Dead Island: Epidemic MOBA (below).
- Dota 2's The International prize pool surpassed 10 million bucks.
- The Oculus and ZeniMax legal smack talk heated up.
- Snail Games announced King of Wushu, a MOBA based on Age of Wushu.
- Elite: Dangerous entered its second round of premium beta.
- MOBA SMITE added new playable god Rama and Fourth of July skins.
- Destiny's COO outlined the game's 10-year-plan and business model and promised more work to come on the much-maligned voice acting.
- ÆRENA: Clash of Champions updated with a new character and game mode.
- The Orcs Must Die devs waffled over the role of toxic players.
- CCP kicked off a DUST 514 contest; kill enough players and you'll get to win a weapon.
- God of Destiny, another new MOBA, was greenlit on Steam. We've got the trailer below!
Parsons declined to directly answer questions on Destiny's unannounced business model, though he did reiterate that "it's not going to be subscription" and that Bungie is going to make sure that "it's never confusing for anybody."
Betas, Sci-Fi, Video, Business Models, Game Mechanics, New Titles, Patches, PvP, News Items, Mobile, Consoles, MMOFPS, Community Q&A, Post-Apocalyptic, Not So Massively, Sandbox, MOBA, League of Legends, Diablo III, Firefall, Destiny, Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, Infinite Crisis, Path of Exile, Hearthstone, The Division
- Diablo III's new patch will add leaderboard seasons. The auction hall officially closes this week.
- The Dreamhack Hearthstone tournament was shaded by cheating allegations.
- Grand Theft Auto Online's I'm Not a Hipster hipster update went live, but heists have been delayed.
- Heroes of the Storm expanded its alpha to more countries.
- Elite: Dangerous released a dev blog and info on its next premium beta.
- Firefall continued its march to relaunch.
- Path of Exile removed snapshotting.
- Chris Roberts talked up Star Citizen's work-in-progress flight model.
- Robert Morris University has formed an official League of Legends athletic team.
- State of Decay is releasing a skin pack for Minecraft.
- Beasts of Prey began early access on Steam. It's a dinosaur-themed survival sandbox.
- Destiny's alpha testers have played 6,461,871 games.
- MechWarrior Online launched the Clan Invasion
- Supergirl joined the cast of Infinite Crisis; the video is below.
- Finally, League of Legends is revamping its Summoner's Rift map. The developer preview video is also embedded below.
Posted on Jul 24th 2014 8:00AM
Posted on Jul 23rd 2014 4:00PM
Posted on Jul 23rd 2014 12:00PM