- Landmark's closed beta launched PvE combat this week; SOE says it will shift full-time to working on EverQuest Next in early 2015.
- Shroud of the Avatar's devs spoke to us about its community and development process.
- Black Desert officially launched into open beta in Korea.
- Sandvox SkySaga began its alpha phase for UK players.
- Skyforge launched a beta contest and demoed two classes.
- Cabal II's closed beta is taking signups; the first focus test is slated for this weekend.
- Valiance Online kicked off a Steam Greenlight campaign. It's currently in pre-alpha stress testing.
- Space strategy MMO AD2460 leaves testing and launches on December 29th.
- MapleStory 2 will begin closed beta signups in Korea next week.
- Albion Online's winter test begins January 26th.
- Rainbow Saga softlaunched into open beta.
- MMORTS Siegelord's closed beta began this week as well.
Elite: Dangerous formally launched this week, departing our Betawatch (Gammawatch?) list and flying free into the wilds of the MMO jungle. What else is new in the land of MMO testing?
Glitch might be gone, but thanks to the generosity of the dev team and the hard work of players, the game lives on in at least two incarnations, one of which, Eleven, entered alpha this week. What else is new in the realm of MMO testing?
- Elite: Dangerous leaves gamma 2 and launches on Tuesday; no more wipes are planned.
- H1Z1 announced early access for January 15th.
- MechWarrior Online opened beta testing for Community Warfare.
- Gloria Victus' pre-alpha loaded up a new weather system.
- World of Warships and Age of Ascent are both running test events this weekend.
- Black Desert unleashed multiple videos ahead of its Korean beta.
- Skyforge previewed one of its locations, Naori Island.
- Shards Online's Kickstarter is expected to end tonight, a wide success.
- Origins of Malu is angling for Steam greenlighting.
- MMOFPS Dizzel formally launched out of early access beta.
- Bless Online added mounts to its closed beta.
- Oort Online polled players about its alpha direction.
Landmark's beta is getting PvE in 10 days! Because it's actually a beta! What else is new in the world of MMO testing?
- Black Desert rolls into Korean open beta on December 17th.
- We had a looksee at Elite: Dangerous' gamma 1 build.
- Elder Scrolls Online has apparently further delayed the launch of its console version.
- The Crew departs our list this week following its formal launch.
- Shards Online crossed another crowdfund threshold and will add a permadeath ruleset.
- Camelot Unchained kept us updated in its next pre-alpha test phase.
- The Repopulation made plans to expand its alpha even more.
- Age of Wulin officially launched in Europe.
- Nerd Kingdom is hopeful about an investor for TUG.
- Friend of Massively Steparu updated us on the Korean betas for Soul Master Online, Closers Online, and Luna Moonlight Thieves.
Elite: Dangerous launched its final gamma build for backers this week; official launch for everyone else is December 16th. Latecomers can still play the single-player version through the Mercenary edition. What else is new in the world of MMO testing?
- Skyforge is offering beta keys to those who play a browser minigame.
- Black Desert posted new screenshots ahead of next month's Korean open beta.
- Valiance Online canceled its Kickstarter and began seeking stress test alpha testers.
- Journey to the West opens up its international beta tomorrow.
- The Crew is apparently a special snowflake, unreviewable ahead of launch because it's an MMO. Huh.
- Civilization Online teased its hardcore character creation.
- Both Shroud of the Avatar and Lost Saga landed on Steam.
- Star Citizen raked in another million; it's now sitting pretty at $63 million raised.
- Chinese MMO Revelation Online will enter open beta January 15th.
- Bless Online announced its second closed beta test schedule.
- Lord of Vermillion's alpha is recruiting testers.
Lineage Eternal wowed G-Star attendees with the news that it will beta in 2015 and hit its worldwide simultaneous launch in 2016. What else is new in the land of MMO testing?
- Lost Ark captured our attention at G-Star; beta begins in 2015.
- The newly announced SkySaga hinted that its closed alpha will arrive "very soon."
- Black Desert's Korean launch is slated for December.
- Trove's open beta added a new class, the Candy Barbarian.
- Stormthrone is now official in open alpha.
- Elite: Dangerous, embroiled in a refund controversy, will launch Gamma 1 this weekend.
- Bless Online revealed a new trailer just in time for its second beta.
- Shards Online's Kickstarter funded with 23 days to go.
- Shroud of the Avatar preps for its Steam release.
- Pathfinder Online continued to delay early enrollment.
- Das Tal's latest stress test kicks off tomorrow.
- Pantheon raised eyebrows by moving to a Patreon for funding.
- Albion Online's alpha implemented farming.
- Civilization Online offered up a Korean closed beta trailer.
- The Crew pimped its console beta, which opens on November 25th.
World of Warcraft's Warlords of Draenor launched this week, departing the halls of Betawatch. What else is new in the world of MMO testing?
- ZergID, an MMO social network, announced its public beta.
- Both EverQuest and EverQuest II launched expansions. EQ's is shown in the screenshot above.
- Shards Online launched another Kickstarter.
- Lineage Eternal will be playable at G-Star 2014 and still plans closed beta for this winter.
- Kingdom Rift's open beta began on November 10th.
- Civilization Online's second Korean closed beta test begins November 25th.
- Lost Ark is planning on a 2015 Korean beta.
- Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen showed off early development screenshots.
- Lord of Vermillion is plotting another round of alpha in Korea in December.
- Star Citizen's crowdfunding total hit $61 million.
- Elvenar is gunning for a January 2015 closed beta test for the PC.
Trove departs the Betawatch list this week, having soft-launched with an open beta destined to go unwiped. Heroes of the Storm will head to closed beta on January 13th. And Blizzard announced Overwatch, a team-based online shooter that'll hit beta in 2015. What else is new in the world of MMO testing?
- The Repopulation lowered its alpha access pledge prices from $100 to $25.
- Elite: Dangerous will be emerging from beta and launching on December 16th.
- Skyforge's first technical beta weekend begins November 13th.
- MMOTCG HEX dropped its beta key requirement, so it's in open beta, but the studio says it's not in open beta. So yeah.
- Dawngate announced a sunset while it was still in beta.
- Korean MMO Echo of Soul immigrates to North America and Europe next year. Beta signups are live.
- Gigantic will greatly expand its alpha test this fall.
- Star Citizen passed $60 million in fundraising.
- Watch two hours of in-beta Civilization Online unfold.
- Indie MMOFPS Hunternet was revealed; it's currently in alpha.
- The international version of Journey to the West enters closed beta tomorrow on November 8th.
- Kingdom Rift began open alpha on November 3rd.
Elite: Dangerous' beta 3 went live this week with bug fixes and new features like player-driven interdiction, asteroid mining, and philanthropy missions. What else is new in the land of MMO testing?
- Trove's open beta will launch on November 5th; no more wipes are planned.
- Remember the Otherland MMO? It's totes back from the dead and back on our list.
- Pathfinder Online's early enrollment has been delayed indefinitely.
- Valiance Online launched a Kickstarter.
- Blizzard regaled Warlords of Draenor watchers with TV commercials and four dev blogs on Nagrand's development.
- Motiga says Gigantic's alpha will be adding "thousands of new testers" this fall.
- BioWare delayed closed alpha for OARPG Shadow Realms.
- Line of Defense's Derek Smart recapped the ongoing test phase.
- The Crew will roll out its second closed beta test on November 6th.
- Blade & Soul will enter open beta in Taiwan in November.
- Moonlight Blade Online's beta has been postponed up to 10 months for a combat system rework.
Camelot Unchained ran a pre-alpha test for backers this past weekend, allowing players to test out character creation and PvP. What else is new in the realm of MMO testing?
- Justin test-drove Lord of the Ring's Online's in-testing Beorning race/class.
- Trove has a fully open, no-wipe, everyone-welcome beta test running this weekend.
- World of Warcraft previewed the creatures of Gorgrond, a zone in the upcoming Warlords of Draenor.
- The Repopulation discussed its plans for healers and combat medics.
- Shroud of the Avatar's Release 11 preps players for its Steam debut.
- MJ pondered what "beta" means for Landmark and what backers' obligations to the game really are.
- Life is Feudal sold 100,000 copies of its survival MMO in its first month on Steam early access.
- EverQuest Next devs discussed playable Ogres and Dwarves.
- Goblinworks defended the FFA PvP design of Pathfinder Online, currently in alpha.
Landmark introduced lava. Also new gear, appearance slots, a better UI, and a zillion other tweaks. But lava.
What else is new in the realm of MMO testing?
What else is new in the realm of MMO testing?
- Camelot Unchained began its pre-alpha test phase. Mark Jacobs answered a ton of reader questions in that comment thread, by the way!
- LOTRO Players previewed Lord of the Rings Online's in-testing content. Stay tuned tomorrow for our own Justin Olivetti's take on the Beorning race/class.
- RuneScape's new MMOTCG, Chronicle: RuneScape Legends, is now accepting beta applications.
- Korean RvR MMO Azera entered beta.
- Sevencore is relaunching globally on November 4th.
- Seldon Crisis was forced to cancel its Kickstarter campaign over an IP dispute.
- Pathfinder Online's alpha stress test finally got underway.
The Crew's launch date was delayed until to December 2nd, ensuring a longer closed beta for the driving MMO. What else is new in the world of MMO testing?
- Lord of the Rings Online unloaded update 15 on test server denizens; it includes a new class and ventures into Gondor.
- RIFT's Nightmare Tide beta previewed its new mastery system and dungeons.
- The Repopulation's alpha switched gears to focus on feature completion.
- Pathfinder Online pushed out a new alpha patch.
- Das Tal crossed its fingers for a Steam greenlight.
- Korean action MMO Asker Online entered closed beta.
- Blade & Soul's final Taiwanese test phase is scheduled for October 23rd.
RIFT's Nightmare Tide expansion has been delayed by two weeks, so that means it'll be keeping us company here in Betawatch for two more weeks! What else is new in the world of MMO testing?
- Das Tal updated its alpha with new and revamped skills.
- LEGO Minifigures Online quietly dropped its beta tag. Farewell and good luck!
- EverQuest Next discussed how deities will shape its world.
- Star Citizen rolled out Arena Commander v0.9.1.
- The Crew's console closed beta went live this week.
- Gloria Victis' pre-alpha got a nice systems upgrade.
- Elite: Dangerous is in now in its beta 2 phase; beta 3 arrives October 28th.
Trion Worlds ended Trove's alpha yesterday... and soft-launched its paid beta (complete with a brand-new class) in its place. Beta, mind you, will not be wiped again, but you've still got to pony up for a starter pack of one flavor or another to access it. What else is new in the land of MMO testing this week?
- After multiple delays, Pathfinder Online's early enrollment period has been reset to October 30th.
- Global Agenda 2's closed beta is expected before the end of the year, Hi-Rez says.
- Albion Online and Shroud of the Avatar were both successfully greenlit on Steam. Shroud is offering special hats to testers.
- Line of Defense's test phase mislaunched on Steam.
- Stormthrone opened alpha signups.
- TUG cut loose half of its staff to keep itself afloat.
EverQuest began the beta test for Darkened Sea, its 21st expansion. You read that number correctly! What else is new in the land of MMO testing?
- World of Warcraft explained its expansion's CE preorder process.
- We streamed Albion Online's first summer alpha event.
- Pathfinder Online prepared for its stress test.
- We interviewed one of the teams trying to resurrect Glitch.
- Maplestory 2 released a Korean alpha video.
- TUG posted footage of its latest alpha update.
- Chaos Heroes Online will begin closed beta on September 22nd.
ArcheAge this week as it emerges from open beta into its head start period. What else is new in the land of MMO testing?
- Valiance Online has launched its pre-alpha (thanks, JustAnotherNate).
- Legend of the Condor Heroes is set to launch open beta on September 25th.
- Pathfinder Online delayed its "early enrollment" once again.
- Landmark's beta added toilets and released its official combat trailer.
- Albion Online released a closed beta trailer.
- EverQuest's Darkened Sea expansion is taking beta signups.
- Massively's Mike continued his adventures in Elite: Dangerous, which today announced its release pricing.
- The Repopulation posted a new alpha trailer.
- TUG's alpha says multiplayer is still on the way.
- Blade 9's closed beta starts September 9th.
- Line of Defense targeted September 16th for early access.
- And of course, we bid Destiny adieu, as it's now launched.
Posted on Dec 24th 2014 2:00PM
Posted on Dec 24th 2014 12:00PM
Posted on Dec 24th 2014 10:00AM