MMO crowdfunding news this week centered on industry titans Richard Garriott
and Chris Roberts
, as well as The Secret World's
new ARG companion game called The Black Watchmen
. The title kicks off in September and is currently being funded through a Crowdtilt campaign
that still has 49 days left to run.
For more info on the title, click past the cut or check out Massively's Black Watchmen interview
Dream a little dream, get a little green, and before long you'll have your very own MMO... at least that's what these developers are hoping! Games seeking funding to make their plans a reality are listed in this section.
The Black Watchmen (Human Equation): Crowdtilt, end date June 5
The Chosen (Fair Games Productions): Open donations, end date April 25
Citadel of Sorcery (MMO Magic, Inc.): Open donations, no end date
- A sci-fi space exploration MMOFPS touting ship design and a player-driven economy.
Contested Space (Zon): Kickstarter coming soon
- A vast, dynamic world where nothing is set in stone and each player will experience the game in very different ways
- Massively interview
Gloria Victis (Black Eye Games): Open donations, no end date
- Player-design spaceships and stations
- Action-oriented combat, territory expansion and defense
Neo's Land (NeoJac Entertainment): Open donations, no end date
- Fantasy medieval setting with a classless system and unrestricted character development
- Realistic weather system
- Greenlit on Steam
- Latest news: March 30 -- PvP raid and new screens
Red Blood (User Games/Gorilla Banana): IndieGoGo, ends May 5th
- Old school fantasy MMO with focus on group content
- Shaman class, Gnome race unveiled
- The return of corpse runs
- Race/class combos revealed
- As of April 14, 2014, P:RotF development has been "slowed" due to lack of funding, VR says that donations will go toward website maintenance until a large enough investment for continued development is secured
Trials of Ascension (Forged Chaos): Light the Forge, ends at $40,000 raised
- Action combat with four classes
- in-depth pet system
- Infinite number of instanced dungeons
Success has its privileges, including a spot in this section! Games that have reached their crowdfunding goals and that are currently being developed are listed here. Once a game reaches the closed testing stage, it will move to the hallowed halls of Betawatch.
Kickstarter puts the the fate of fledgling MMOs in the hands of gamers. Which will live and which will die? Check the pulse of MMO crowdfunding with Massively's Jef Reahard every Wednesday in Make My MMO. And for a look at non-MMO crowdfunding, don't forget Joystiq's Crowdfund Bookie.
- Skill-based sandbox MMORPG