Posted: Apr 4th 2012 3:04PM (Unverified) said

Sounds very cool and with variants of different mechs I expect there to be a wide range of options even when only selecting a certain chassis.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 3:15PM fallwind said

I do wonder how this will all tie in with the f2p model....

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 3:17PM mattaui said

It's too bad it doesn't use the actual BattleTech construction system, but I know they've got to make concessions to balance and ease of use. Still, would be nice if further customization was unlocked later in the game, or if there was a mode that allowed for it. Playing around with the BattleTech mech customization and building rules was a game all on its own.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:03PM edgecrusherO0 said

I just realized how utterly perfect MW is as a F2P MMO. Seriously, the amount of customization for your mech has always been great, and you can see it ALL through the cash shop (or for in game currency that takes a long time to grind), as well as all kinds of custom skins for weapons/armor ect. I mean, I can't think of another game off the top of my head that has this level of monetization BUILT IN to the game itself. They don't even need to worry about things like boosts or additional bag slots ect.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:07PM (Unverified) said

Sounds like the Mechwarrior 4 dumbed down design system. :-/ I'd rather have something like MechWarrior 3 that let you design the thing from the chassis up. Granted, going for the MW4/Armored Core type system obviously makes it easier to to the graphics...

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:23PM ApathyCurve said

• 1 heart
"For instance, energy weapons can be swapped only for other energy weapons, while ballistic weapons can be changed out only for other ballistic weapons."

And with that, my interest died. Really dumb design decision.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 5:22PM Space Cobra said

• 1 heart
@ApathyCurve

Well, my interest hasn't totally died, but yeah, i agree it's a bit weird/silly.

It used to be so common to almost swap anything for anything, as long as heat and weight was respected. Heck, the most common cheap swap outs would be lite missles and machine guns for most any weapon!

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 12:11PM Space Cobra said

What, I am getting down votes?!?!

It's a legit concern from older games of this series, both PnP and computer! If my laser was kaput and I had little funds, I could strap a Machine gun in there or a small rocket launcher, not so with this game.

And I DID say I was still interested.

Sheesh!

(Oh, and glad to see the Down Voting one more time, unlike the newer "Everything is beautiful"/Like system!)

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 12:11PM Khal said

The more I read, the more I like. MWO will be the first F2P MMO that I actually spend money on.