Posted: Apr 4th 2012 12:07PM mattaui said

I just tend to use the same rule in the virtual space that I do in meat space. If it's something I haven't used much in a year, and it doesn't have otherwise real sentimental or significant value, it gets sold, given away or donated.

I'm way worse about it in the virtual world because if I can't see it, I forget about it (my organizational style has to be extremely visual-oriented) so I'm more prone to take the hard line there and sell, give away or delete mass quantities of items.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 1:06PM SnarlingWolf said

I've never understood MMO hoarders. I've played MMOs since The Realm (which was before UO for all you young people). I played UO, EQ, AC, DAoC, WoW (not for long), AO, Horizens or whatever it is called now after its awful launch, Vanguard, Rift, LotRO, DDO, and on and on.

I've never hoarded. In fact anytime I see my packs filling up I go to a vendor and start selling while going "Probably never going to need that, or that, or that".

I've never held onto things "just in case" or "well one day in the distant future an alt might want that". The reason is, you can almost always easily replace whatever you're getting rid of. So instead of hoarding, get rid of it. If you do roll and alt or a guildmate/friend does need an item, just quickly and easily go get it for them. Isn't it better to actually play the game then hope hoarders can hand you what you need in the first place?

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 1:35PM (Unverified) said

@SnarlingWolf
I don't know if I would call it hoarding with SL. The inventory in SL is nothing like in a game. The inventory is more like a Windows Explorer structure with a bunch of files inside it. And since you have no icon representation of what an item may look like, nor a tooltip for it when you hover over it, it's not easy to know what's junk and what's not at first glance.

Also, outfits you get in a real game may be 2 or 3 pieces while in SL you get a folder that may have 30 items in it. Yes a lot of that is clothing prims and layers but there are also notecards, landmarks, etc. Now that mesh has started coming out the inventory size is going to be worse. Linden Labs didn't come out with a way to resize mesh items yet, so content creators, especially clothing designers, are having to create multiple sizes in hopes that one will fit someone properly. When they come out with the deformer that will adjust a mesh item to someone's shape automatically, that should alleviate that particular issue, and the deformer should have been released at the same time mesh was, but, oh well.

As a builder my inventory is even worse than Beau's. I have all the premade megaprim items which number literally in the thousands as well as keep things I have created, at least the complex things as it's easier to pull something out and tweak it through editing than to create it from scratch.

So amassing a lot of items in SL really isn't comparable to hoarding in a regular MMO game.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 2:49PM madeleen said

Only 7000 in your inventory? You are a lightweight compared to my av.

I had over 25K in my inventory until a glitch wiped out part of it. Now i have only 20K. And from what I've been told that is still minimal.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 2:52PM Beau Hindman said

@madeleen haha Yeh I have heard that a lot. Bear in mind that even though I have played for those 8 years, a lot of that time was spent just socializing, exploring and making art. My art is typically just my real-life art imported into the world, so that probably saved some.

But yeh, I've heard the horror stories. Now you know why I am taking a stand. As of right now, I am down to 5500 or so items and still moving. :)

Beau

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 6:48PM roberticvs said

29,470 items. I'm starting to regret picking up all those freebie boxes early in my SL life. Although many of them DID hold some treasures which helped make me a decent builder.

Still, I wish I didn't have to accumulate copies of copies of copies. I've got a dozens of the same pose stand in "lost and found", for example. If it weren't for the search function, I couldn't find anything in my inventory.

SL is still a good, fun social experience. I wouldn't mind seeing something with its freedom and creativity and community given some structure and decorum.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 6:48PM RobsterRawb said

web on a prim is cool, but viewing a live broadcast of your own screen can be devastating! DO NOT OPEN UP THE RIFT

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 11:02PM Yukon Sam said

There's not a lot of incentive in SL to clean out your inventory, save the difficulty of finding anything specific without using the search function.

If you want to unclutter but can't bear to part with anything, you can always rez a prim and dump in all the stuff that might possibly come in useful someday but you don't need to carry everywhere.

There's alway a possibility that a glitch will wipe your storage prim... but the same is true of your inventory. That's life.... Second Life.

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 5:44AM (Unverified) said

managing your inventory is a chore.... ive barely logged in the past 2 years so i gradually forgot how i used to organize things...its a mess!

and another wierd thing is that the inventory cache only remembers about 40k objects and have to recheck the last bit to 55k every time i login.

Posted: Apr 6th 2012 3:00AM mattwo said

Well if the object is trans you could set it to no copy and send it to yourself right?

The Daily Grind: Do you suck at MMOs?

Posted on Jul 25th 2014 8:00AM