Posted: Apr 4th 2012 6:38PM Acesfury said

Many People above have posted some great Advice, expecially getting to lvl 24 so yo'ur at the top fo the BG. (use your /xp off at that point)

I have more of a "Tactic" that served me very well back in the DAoC days.

One of the best things with Skalds (my main midgard Char btw) is the Speed buff. They can get in and out of a battle faster then just about anyone. Use that to your advantage. I use to sit up on hill sides, preferably behind trees.

Your away from battle openings but your speed allows you to rush in before much has happened. And that additional few seconds lets you spot the Healer/Casters and Go right for the Squishy targets.

Don't Forget your peripheral views, Most of the time Snuggled up to a tree I wouldn't spot enemy's dead on, i would see them thru the sides of my screen but keep myself hidden from the Roaming groups.

Also if you find yourself Solo but there are some full teams running around, Don't hessitate to Flank them. You have the same spd they do, so run along with them using the /follow command and help them out as needed. Most groups (back in the day atleast) don't mind another Skald working with them because of the CC you bring to the table.

Hope you have Fun! I had a better time in Thid then I did in almost everything else in DAoC with exception to the OLD Milegate RvR. But that was revamped long ago...

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 7:09PM Memitim said

I always found the best action in the 39BG last time I played this, though I doubt you will get that high now.
At that level you have alot of your best abilitys on most classes but without all the OP crap they ended up putting in at 50.
Maybe some kind soul will powerlevel you (it doesn't take long done right) because that is probably your best chance to understand why people loved this game so much, short of a time machine :P

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 1:52AM Jim Digriz said

I still recommend you try finding a guild. By what you said in you blog, I suspect you used the approach most new players do, which is advertise in region a few times that you are seeking a guild. Unfortunately, that doesn't work very well, as most people are too busy to pay much attention to region unless they're trolling each other. So a better approach is to use the command /who Thid. This will list the first 25 people in Thidranki by name and guild. Look for a well represented guild in that first list, then type /who {guild name} to see how many of that guild are currently running there. The more active the guild in the area you plan to frequent the better. Then pick someone in that guild and send them a private /tell asking if there is someone online who you could talk to about joining. That should hopefully get your foot in the door.

I would also highly recommend that you take a few minutes to download and setup ventrilo. This is the most commonly used voice program in DAoC and is the standard that most groups will want you to use if you join them, since it is a lot easier to play tactically if you can hear what the group is doing rather than having to rely on typing. If you don't have vent you may find running in a group a very quiet and confusing experience.

Many groups will insist that you have vent and can perma-sprint (as mentioned earlier). So make Long Wind 1 the first thing you perchace with your realm points once you get some. As a skald, you also have a chant that reduces your endurance loss through styles and sprinting, this can be used instead of long wind 1, but that will limit your chant usage. Combine that with some invigoration potions that you can buy from the housing area of your realm, to be able to perma-sprint.

At level 24 you're limited to the lvl 20 invig potions. Just port to the housing entrance - just say "entrance" to a channeler, which should get you there. Look for an NPC called Market Explorer. Interacting with him will bring up a search widget for all the player merchants in your realms housing. Use the name search at the top for "draught of invig" and make the max level of the search level 20. This should give you several pages of invigoration potions to buy. Look for ones at a good price from your housing server. Any from your server will have the zone names listed, otherwise it will say Ywain1 - 10. You can't directly purchase an item from another housing server, but if you can't get what you need from the server you are on, there is a channelor nearby that lets you port across housing servers. So if you want to buy something from Ywain6, you can talk to the channeler to port to Ywain6, and then talk to the Market Explorer again to buy it directly. Yes I know it's annoying - but it is what it is.

Just a quick BUYER BEWARE message here. There are some unscrupulous sellers in game who will try to slip a pricier item in with a list of cheaper list of items of the same type, so keep an eye on the prices when you make your purchase. Also delve each potion to make sure that they have their full set of 30 out of 30 charges.

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 1:58AM Jim Digriz said

Oh and while you're in housing also buy yourself some nereid potions (water breathing). As a skald you do get a waterbreath spell, but at your level I'm pretty sure it's not as good as nereid potions - 90% of run speed in water.

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 9:12AM Dogorox said

Off Topic but I just wanted to say (while I still could) to the Massively folks that I won't be compelled to create a new social media account just to be able join the conversation here. Sorry to be missing out on the upgrade, and I hope you'll reconsider maintaining your own log in server for others like myself.

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 10:42AM Space Cobra said

@PaulHeuts (from another parallel world with a different commenting system)

You are wrong there. ;P Here I am, reading the new comment system and still logged into the old system, replying to your comment from your new system. Isn't double-window interdimensional travel and commenting systems wonderful?

Of course, Massively has a start/stop limit: The article on TERA is the last article I can call up the old comments with. Joystiq seems a bit worse in that I can even call up their new articles and still comment using the old system!

So, info you probably won't see, but there it is.

Betawatch: November 15 - 21, 2014

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 8:00PM

The Stream Team: No more Landmark tour deaths!

Posted on Nov 21st 2014 3:00PM