Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:10PM Space Cobra said

Actually, since the Mastermind came out, there has been some calls to add to it. One has been "beasts" of all sorts, similar to this. And like I said, this plays up to "Tarzan" types or even "Animal Man" types (although you are controlling animals and not inheriting the powers of animals). And, there has even been a call for clowns.

I like seeing these new wrinkles, but I don't think the power sets go far enough, creatively. And really, we should easily see a re-skinned superspeed at this point in the guise of our character riding a customizable/colorized motorcycle (either cafe racer or "hog").

Actually, in retrospect, the April Fools joke, for some of their powers, seems more esily in line with Paragon's current philosophy of adding in things. I can almost see a "bee bark" power, for example. It's just a reskin of some other power.

As to Transformers, I prefer the unnamed Takara/Tomy/etc. originals that had no TV show attached, but I was buying lots of Japanese collectibles at that time.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:12PM KrakenAZ said

"Street Justice arguably had no reason to exist"

Aside from the fact that many people had been asking for a more punchy, less martial-arts themed unarmed set for a long time, particularly for scrappers who don't have access to Super Strength.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:14PM KrakenAZ said

"Street Justice arguably had no reason to exist"

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:24PM DancingCow said

Where once the subtlety, skill and individuality of each powerset lay in its secondary effects and how they interact with other powersets (both the character's own and that of team-mates), now we keep getting powersets with arbitrary built-in rotations sold to us in PR speak as complex and fun new mechanics.

*yawn*

Beast mastery doesn't look too bad - it just has the pack mentality mechanic - but personally I think it would be better without it. I can imagine eg. beast mm's inside missions rushing from one set of mobs to the next in an attempt to keep pack mentality running constantly and team-mates screaming 'slow down' a lot.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:37PM Brianna Royce said

I really wanted beast mastery but held off once I saw all the reports on the forums about how broken and unfinished it is. It's probably fine for a non-hardcore player (as I am), but I didn't want to send the message that releasing incomplete and bugged content is OK with me.

@KrakenAZ - I actually tend to agree with Eliot about Street Justice as implemented. I think it's kinda lame to charge extra for a set that really just looks like a mash-up of Martial Arts and Super Strength. Once I saw the set, I knew I could save money there. The Street Justice in my imagination was better than what we got, I guess.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 4:57PM (Unverified) said

I am really starting to feel the glut of new power sets and options as well... Options are a good thing, to be sure. But spacing them out better is a good thing as well. My problem is that I do like a lot of these sets and costumes coming out, but I just don't have the time to be levelling up these characters before a new shiny comes out...

I've already started slipping behind, not picking up Titan Weapons and Beast Mastery because I just don't have time... I'm still working with Beam Weapons and Twilight Mastery... My street justice testing character is languishing at level 5 because I just don't have to time

Before the free to play conversion when we had months between new power sets or combinations you could take time... I got my dual blades character to the 30s before the new shiny distracted me.. Same with a lot of other things. All these new sets barely get played compared to the older content...

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 8:37PM JuliusSeizure said

I don't think it's fair to simply brush off the power sets added with expansions. I'm sure the powers team didn't just spit them out all at once as crunch time approached on expansion development. They most likely developed them in much the same way as the between sets, but reserved their release until the expansion. So, if you average out their release with those other sets, the current rate of new sets isn't quite as much faster.

Also, Beast Mastery doesn't fit the milieu? Well, that's, like, your opinion, man. Sure would be nice if it wasn't so wolf-heavy, though.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 9:52PM (Unverified) said

Should have made it insects mastery instead, Ant Man ftw

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 12:21AM DarkWalker said

I don't play CoH because I very much disagree with a few game systems, but even if I was playing, new powersets don't exactly draw me.

You see, I have a tendency to create all my characters at the start, and be done with it.

In WoW, I have long standing characters of every Vanilla class and race, spread across both factions, but for any class or race introduced after that, apart from looking at their starting zones, I didn't really play them; those characters are parked right at the exit of their starting zones, and for the most part I didn't touch them ever again.

In DCUO it's the same thing. I have a character using each of the powers that were available at launch, but despite having a lifetime sub (which means, among other things, I get every new power set for free) I've yet to make a Light, Lightning, or Earth character.

Usually, for me to actually pick a new class/race/power/whatever, the game must allow my character to basically switch between them for free. Otherwise, if I'm going to throw away all development on an old character and start anew, I might as well also change games to something I haven't yet played, and thus some game where I still get the thrill of discovering new things and learning what makes the game tick.

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 8:55AM (Unverified) said

Different strokes I guess. I love street justice, it is my favorite new set by far. The superhero genre is pretty vast and covers a ton of different styles, new powersets allow you to build characters that meet new themes or play styles. Worried about balance? Hold off a bit. I have not bought a couple of the new sets and am not attracted to staff fighting, the next one due out, but I know players who love the new sets and the frothing for staff fighting. The devs have not broken the game yet and while the free to play certainly drives them to keep the new things coming, but I trust them to keep the game working.

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 12:07PM Space Cobra said

@DancingCow

"My biggest beef with the recent wave of new powersets is that they've been gimicky and shallow compared to earlier offerings."

Talk about Gimicky! You are a Dancing Cow and you have a "beef" against something! :D

(And very few people will actually see that joke now...)

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 2:31PM Daemodand said

Street Justice had no reason to exist?!?! IT'S THE BATMAN SET! The devs took their inspiration from Batman's fighting style to make it!

And Beast Mastery is very comic book! Ever hear of Bwana Beast? And look at all the super pets like Ace the Bat-Hound!

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 7:40PM EricNelson said

Seems like, if the set's theme or state of "completion" doesn't interest you, oh, I dunno...just don't buy it?

The devs were SUPER clear about this sitaution before Freedom launch, stating on multiple occasions that their STATED GOAL is to produce content faster than we can buy it. That's good business, and in my opinion it's great for players. Grab what you want, ignore what you don't like. Before Freedom I was a "gotta collect everything" type, but since I've passed on multiple things and don't regret it at all, I have more than enough content to keep me interested for quite a while.

Posted: Apr 5th 2012 9:14PM starka1 said

@Brianna Royce

Ditto on reading the broken state of Beast Mastery in the forums as a reason to not buy it in its current state. What is funny is after reading this article and the 'glut' of powersets, I read those comments in the Staff Melee thread where players are crying for its release because it has been tested more than Beast Mastery and is ready for Live release.

I'm fine with the release schedule as long as they are not breaking anything which does not look to be the case.