Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 1:14PM akubura said

@Jef Reahard

I agree with you here, Darkfall is a great idea and enjoyed playing it for the couple of months I gave it. (Could not compete with the macro crowd they had a couple of years head start) and I'm glad they are working on 2.0 even though we don't know what it is.

But we waited long enough for Darkfall to come out. My guild personally waited for FOREVER for Darkfall to come out. Finally we just gave up on it and played other games. Even when it did come out most of us just stayed away from it. The beta did not impress us for the amount of time spent in development.

With that being said If there is a character wipe, I'll be there resubbed day one. So I can have the upper hand! :P The gameplay is great and the only problem I have is to compete with the best you have to swim against a pole for hours a day for months.

90% of my time spent playing was pushing the macro crowd off their poles and watching them run into the forest knowing eventually they will meet their doom lol......

I started getting ganked alot 8- (

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 10:03AM Ehra said

City of Heroes. Back when GW2 first started talking about how it was doing away with the trinity, people were flipping out talking about how this was so unprecedented and arguing over it was even possible. City of Heroes has been doing fine for ages with groups that disobey the trinity. Plus you can actually play a "support" character in CoH, not just a heal spammer. You can do whatever content you want and be challenged, not be forced into doing "endgame" content only if you want to be rewarded. So many things people complain about are things that CoH has taken care of, and it's a shame that it doesn't have more players than it does.

Honorable mention would be DCUO. I see people going on all the time about how TERA is so innovative for being the first "true action MMO." Admittedly I haven't played TERA at all so maybe I'm missing something huge, but DCUO absolutely is an "action MMO," and a fun one at that. I'd say the biggest problem with it is that the UI is terrible to work with on a keyboard and mouse. The game really shines if you use a 360 controller or something.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 10:19AM edgecrusherO0 said

I agree with a ton of others. Vanguard really never got the respect it deserved. For how disappointingly buggy it was (it was an absolute wreck at launch, which is a damn shame), the game did a TON of awesome stuff. Prior to, say, Guild Wars 2, its easily one of the most revolutionary/evolutionary big title MMO's to come out since WoW. There are SO many amazing features in the game that I wish had trickled out to other games. But sadly, the insanely botched launch doomed the game to remain in the shadows in maintenance mode.

Hopefully the F2P relaunch (super stoked about it) can turn things around and get the game the respect it deserves.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 10:45AM Dogorox said

@ Jef

Yeah, you'd think AV would have learned the value of a full time PR professional after all these years. Lack of a proper PR campaign has probably impacted Darkfall's growth as much as it's more hardcore playstyle, which can be quite addictive to some players.

You have to get the future junkies to take that first hit though.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 10:45AM SnarlingWolf said

After that vote massively just had I'd have to say definetly AC, and not by the devs but by the MMO genre.

AC was never highly advertised, it was a "Ohh I saw the box and tried it out" or "A friend told me about it". Because of that it never became as known as EQ and UO. That has always kept it under the radar despite the fact that it has had over 12 years of monthly content and continues to expand and improve.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 10:57AM CherubDown said

Star Wars Galaxies, pre-CU. 'nuff said

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 10:57AM Hardcover said

I'm probably not going to get much agreement on this, but I'm going to go with Star Trek Online.

Yes, it has it's issues. What game doesn't? A rocky and bare-bones start, varying levels of quality on missions, uninspired PVP, the Great Content Draught of 2011, a controversial move to an almost Asian-style F2P model... but I enjoy it still.

First, when the game gets it right, it gets it *right*. There are several missions - many from the Foundry UGC toolset, but a couple from the devs themselves as well - that feel like they escaped from the hard drive of a Star Trek writer. Ship-to-ship combat is a hell of a lot of fun. And the staff, I think, get bashed a lot for what the game doesn't have, and nowhere near the credit they deserve for making the game what it is with, as of the beginning of the year, just a 25-man team. That is MINISCULE in the MMO world, but it seems that Cryptic's hiring team manages to find multiple real-world versions of Montgomery Scott himself.

Again, it's not a perfect game. No MMO is, and the dev team that isn't working to improve something or create something new is the one that's getting laid off. But I think Star Trek Online doesn't get near the credit it's due, especially given how many people I've seen in the game that have said that they never played an MMO before - they play because it's Star Trek.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 11:57AM Stormwaltz said

@Hardcover

I agree with you. STO has the hardest working live team in the industry. Other MMGs regularly patch in new content. STO regularly patches in new features - which give a lot more bang per buck. When they do make new content, they go all-in - with all-new mechanics and level art.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 1:09PM StClair said

@Hardcover
Seconded. The STO devs have done great things with a frankly inadequate budget/support from the current AND previous owners. A pity that PWE seems most interested in selling lockboxes (scratch-it tickets) and plowing all the revenue from that into their other projects (NWN, anyone?) and/or their own pockets.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 1:49PM notinterested said

@Hardcover Tried STO, hated it. Ground combat was just painful and space combat made no sense. I want to find the moron that decided space combat was not 3 dimensional. I mean seriously, when a flightsim offers you more freedom in maneuverability than a space game something went horribly wrong.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 1:30PM Stormwaltz said

@notinterested

"I want to find the moron that decided space combat was not 3 dimensional."

I believe that was Khan Noonien Singh.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 11:14AM Ratham said

Warhammer, to this day its still the best mmo for pvp.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 11:43AM Celestian said

• 1 heart
Every mmo out there but WoW probably.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 11:47AM avaloner said

For me RIFT and Vanguard would probably be the underated games. Vanguard for all the reasons others have stated and RIFT for how far it has come since launch. It has a decent population, and has grown a bit recently but I think I deserves more for the small inovations it has brought to MMO's. I have never felt a company as justified to charge me $15 a month (less cause I have multi-month sub) as TRION.

WOW/SWTOR etc have no excuse in this day and age if they can't keep up content development like TRION can in my opinion. Both Bioware and Blizzard are bigger then TRION so you would expect them to atleast have a similar work output if not more.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 12:25PM (Unverified) said

Warhammer Online, that game was phenomenal and it just died a very slow painful death, probably one of the most painful I have seen a AAA MMO die.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 12:33PM Space Cobra said

Hello Kitty Online!!!!!

;p

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 12:37PM Jstaw said

Face of Mankind
Sure it has its problems, the dev and community management teams don't contain any super stars and it has a notorious community but there is really no other game out there like it. It combines MMO, FPS and political elements in a way nobody else has been able to. Its the only truly sandbox mmo out there and while this incredible level of player freedom can cause community issues it can also be one of the most interesting gaming experiences possible if you have the sack to stick it out.

You can play free or pay premium for extra features, it also features an item shop (mostly full of dumb crap). Check it out if you want a true MMOFPS, the community could use some fresh faces.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 12:44PM AstralEcho said

FFXIV. The game has made massive strides forward, has an update frequency that surpasses Rift, and has a bright future ahead of it. Too many people seem to overlook that, plus the ways in which it proves itself different from the standard modern MMO, and yet continue to lament the lack of games breaking away from the mold.

Hopefully there will be some real willingness in the community to give the game a second chance with 2.0.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 6:05PM hexaemeron said

@AstralEcho Are you out of your mind? Rift has made a myriad of patches almost on a bi-monthly (every two month) basis with loads of content, events, bug fixes and dozens of hot fixes with almost zero turn around time and never, ever late.

Do you want to try that about FFXIV's amazing patches bit again?

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 1:16PM Jorev said

I have never heard anyone refer to Vanguard as a themepark designed MMO.
I suspect the author doesn't know what they are talking about.

Why I Play: ArcheAge