Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 12:47PM Space Cobra said

[Update: Kotaku reports that Nival later clarified that it is offering discounts for both genders purchasing the same gendered character.]

Well, that's pretty fair. Kinda kills all the complaints it seems.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 1:19PM Utakata said

@Space Cobra

No, not really...

...for a transitioning trangender this would really suck.

Besides it's still begs the question: Why is it important that this game insists that you are identified with your RL gender? It's really none of their *bleep*ing business. And it's a fantasy game after all; you should play what you want to play with impunity. Just saying.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 1:37PM TerilynnS said

@Utakata THANK YOU. This is EXACTLY what put such a horrible taste in my mouth. It's coming off as a transparent effort on the game's behalf to exclude those who identify gender differently - or not at all.

Somehow providing incentive to play with "real" members of the opposite sex is just so - wtf...

Yes people can make fake FB accts to roll a new toon to take advantage of the incentives will defeat their game company's intentions - but it's the basis of their marketing ploy I find wholly offensive - to *everyone*.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 2:05PM (Unverified) said

@Utakata Actually I don't think this would bother your average transsexual person that much. I mean, I'm male to female, my facebook profile and all of that is female... so that part doesn't bother me. Now someone who doesn't fit into that gender binary is left out in the cold... as usual. Male or Female, pick one only.. bleh.

I agree that I don't see the point of giving bonuses if your characters match your gender... Sure I do most of the time, but sometimes I play male characters. I like Ezreal in LoL, and Twisted Fate.

Mostly it's the inherent implied sexism in all of this that bothers me... Trying to get girls to play, then making sure everyone knows it's really a girl playing... No thank you. My gender has absolutely no bearing on my gaming abilities.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 2:24PM (Unverified) said

@Utakata
Why is it important to them? Because it's a Facebook tie in. Facebook requires legitimate data from it's users so they can sell that information to marketers. This games makers are partnering with Facebook and money is obviously going to change hands so they have to know who someone really is.

I just think it's ridiculous, and one of the reasons gaming is in decline, because of all this social media tie in. People play games as a form of escapism and social media is all about who we are. So it's ruining a few hours of escaping by bringing what we want to get away from for a short while into what we escape into.

Maybe gaming needs another crash to make things get back to basics. Where games are made to be fun and not something to tie side products and third party partnerships into.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 3:23PM TerilynnS said

@(Unverified) GREAT point. I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 1:41PM Alph said

Sexism is fun.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 2:21PM Tizmah said

Um, if you want girls to play your games, how about not making women so objectified in your games? Big bouncy boobs, cleavage on every female, and jiggle physics out of this world are not going to really entice females to play. I don't mind sexy characters, but when that's all you got and what you shove at the forefront all the time, it really makes you look immature. You think all the women that play Facebook games would play them if all the girls were scantily clad? Heck no.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 2:44PM threetailedfox said

Is this that same game with the interview, in Gameinformer I believe, where they said that male players would start with more up-close damage dealers, and female players would start with more support oriented character. (As a male player who prefers to be a support character, and with a girlfriend who prefers swords and axes, this irritates me on multiple levels.) And that in non-combat interactions female characters would do things like shopping, and male characters would go hunting. I must say, this isn't as bad as that interview, which made me put down the magazine in shame, but it's still mind numbingly stupid.

If your going to encourage people to play their own gender, don't make the characters/classes gender-locked. Granted that's not really as much an option with a MOBA, but that's why it's a bad place to do something like this. At least the bonus pricing isn't totally one-sided, but it's still a small comfort.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 3:09PM (Unverified) said

gonna keep this short and to the point.

- gender should never affect gameplay, when you're playing a game, you're there to play the game, what do you care what gender the people on your team are?

- characters are gender locked, which is even stupider if you're offering discounts like this

- and this will actually make MORE people play as the opposite sex because they know they can't get the buff unless they have both males and females in the team.

I foresee a LOOOOTTT of people quitting games because they notice everyone on their team is male or female.

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 1:45AM (Unverified) said

Well now...I know which game I won't be playing. Nice marketing

Posted: Apr 4th 2012 10:42PM Yukon Sam said