Posted: Mar 31st 2012 2:32PM Celtar said

Why I see cross server as a good thing is that it allows dps classes more chances to actually get into running heroics/instances. The trinity is one of the short comings to grinding heroics, since there are so many classes that can do dps plus one other job. Healing or tanking for example.

In my opinion they should have never allowed healing or tank classes to be able to change spec into dps. It led to way to many classes who could dps. Either that or "All" classes should be able to do two of the three types of specs.

As far as a break down of commnunity, I played on a WoW pvp server and we had a great community until Blizzard changed the rules. What I mean is when they started allowing both faction play on a pvp server the community went to crap. I recall that was about the time I started using a whisper blocker addon more often as well.

I honestly don't see the cross server aspect breaking LotRO's community, I just see it giving more dps classes a chance to run heroics and that would be a good thing. You'll have less bitter dps players who can now take part in instances that normally didn't get much chance often. I know I wrote off running much heroics in LotRO years ago personally. Unless I was in the mood to play my healer or tank that is, then I got all the instance runs I wanted.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 2:36PM Plastic said

On Brandywine, the most populated NA server, they recently held an in-game funeral for one of the players who had passed away in real life. Since he played a Creep, the funeral was held in the Moors. Both Freeps and Creeps attended, and it went off without a hitch. No griefers showed up to PK the attendees, or cause any mayhem in general.

The LOTRO community is a cut above the rest, and I have zero concern about a cross-server instance finder. Sure, there are inherent problems with the system itself that should be looked at and improved, but the fear that cross-server participation will be the downfall of the community is absurd.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 2:50PM MMOaddict said

Cross server is the only answer I can see. I too played a few different characters of varying level ranges on different nights and I got into 1 3-man dungeon on my 75. I think the disparity between levels in the population plus F2P players makes it hard to get into a group. Cross Server would eliminate that as it has in Rift, WoW and other games that utilize the same sort of system.

Posted: Apr 2nd 2012 6:47AM (Unverified) said

@MMOaddict

Having used WoW's Dungeon Finder for some time, the cross realm population results in almost instant dungeons for Tank and Healer and 5 to 15 min on average for DPS. The dungeons drop gear and give valor points which can be accumulated for more gear and they of course suffer from the usual symptoms of pugs - sometimes its bad and sometimes it's good. But even with the amount of heroics available in WoW it still gets old after a time and the gear is only ment to prepare you for rading. Unfortunately 10 and 25 person raiding usually requires a guild and planning so most players were stuck with heroics and an occasional raid pug when the raids got nerfed enough.

However, Blizzard then added Random Raid Finder which allows people with a base level of gear to participate in the raid content with a group of 25. Yes, it's detuned from the normal and heroic modes, so people without a voice server from disparate realms might have a chance at succeeding and the gear drops of the 8 bosses were better than heroics. It also functions as a substitute for heroics as it also awards valor points. More importantly it's allowed a huge segment of the player base to enjoy the final raid - something they never had before. Of course, some nights it's more like finding out how many ways idiots can use to wipe, but for the most part it;s fun and when you are familiar with it, you can actually relax a bit and enjoy the scenery. It does get a little boring runnning it twice a week (more than that and you only get money rather than drops or valor) but since Mists will bring another 3 Raid Finder raids as well as scenarios and challenge dungeons, it's a promise of good things to come.

Given my experience I'd have to say cross server dungeons, raids and scenarios are a great idea.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 2:57PM Infurn said

The LoTRO instance finder is completely dead. I've been in queue for at least 10 hours total over the course of a few days during prime time, and I haven't seen a single instance.

The LFF channel is usually empty of people in my level range as well. Rarely there is a group of high 20's looking to do Great Barrows I could log an alt in for, but that's about it.

If there was ever a game that needed a cross-server dungeon finder, this would be it.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 3:11PM Softserve said

I think it's just a matter of it being too focused.

We're already talking one server.

Then we're talking a certain level range.

Then we're talking specific roles.

Then we're talking specific instances.

That's fractions of fractions of fractions right there. And then you factor in the people who are on, but not using this thing. Then you factor in how many people are on at any given time of the day...

I think it is likely that you'll find a lot more to do at 75 (these are the people most primed to play instances constantly), but it's still a very limited pool because of everything I listed above.

The fact that it takes forever isn't surprising. I'd not be surprised if it happened in WOW either if it was set up like this.

People might not like it, but cross server is basically necessity for something like this. Otherwise never-ending queues are a given.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 3:17PM Tom in VA said

I enjoyed LotRO when I played it, but I really prefer grouping with the players on my own server and not be thrown in with a bunch of strangers I'll never see again.

Barring same-server grouping, I think either (1) scalable dungeons or (2) the introduction of NPCs to fill out groups are preferable to cross-server LFG systems. This approach allows solo players and/or smaller-than-normal group sizes to complete group content.

One of the things I like about SWTOR (with its companions) and Guild Wars (with its heroes) is that content was always accessible even if you play a class -- like my smiting monk in Guild Wars, for example -- that isn't generally wanted in groups. Also, you aren't hung up because you can't find a healer or tank. Two DPS classes can team up in SWTOR, bring along a healer and a tank companion, and have a fighting chance of completing 4-man group content. I like that kind of flexibility.

MMOs really REALLY need to "think outside the box" on this grouping issue, imo. I'm glad that SWTOR and GW1 did just that.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 3:45PM (Unverified) said

The instance finder does have a UI button. It's on the right side of the bar right between the "?" help button, and before all of your inventory bag buttons. You can also access it with the default keyboard shortcut ctrl-J. The button and shortcut used to pull up the instance join panel, but that has been completely replace with the instance finder.

I do wish more people would use the instance finder though.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 6:04PM real65rcncom said

If it's like other games that had them, there will be a groundswell of interest the first few weeks with the LFG finder. People will be all excited and using it and gushing about it.

After one month, people will go back to being bored for one reason or another and you'll start to see the 'Can't find any parties' posts again.

That's how it was in Rift. People mobbed it and then later they still quit after it was put in. Even WoW had that happen but not on as big of a scale.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 6:28PM (Unverified) said

The RIFT dungeon finder was a flop until TRION made it cross server. You have to have a bigger player pool for it to be successful. That is if you want to find that random level 30 dungeon group at 2am. Only a large player pool with diverse playing times can accomplish that.

You can find a group in any WoW dungeon, at any level range, day or night. Longest I've ever waited in the wee hours was an hour maybe. That's not noticible if you're questing or doing something else while you're queued. If you're just sitting in town staring at the timer, yeah, then that sucks.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 6:56PM (Unverified) said

I think you hit a good first point there. I recently returned in LOTRO, after years away, and didn't until reading this have any blessed idea that there -was- a content finder. It needs to be much, much more prominent.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 11:48PM Greymantle said

@(Unverified)
The only thing that is prominent anymore is the store. Every where you turn now I see stuff about the store. Tolkien rolled over in his grave when the store was put in.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 7:52PM (Unverified) said

The instance finder is a good idea and I was using it often even before they improved it in the last update. The problem with it was that no one ever seemed to be waiting for an instance so every time we tried to finish off a group with this it failed and we just went back to the old standby of seeing which other friends were online. More often then not we just run whatever instance it was short of a full fellowship instead of sitting around.

After the first month I know I stopped even trying to find 1-2 more using this which is a shame. Probably has to go cross server at this point just to make people try it again with an actual hope of finding someone.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 8:05PM (Unverified) said

Oh and if they take away my beloved auto attack on/off indicator away I will know who to come complain to. =)

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 8:19PM wanderingdrunk said

Just started playing wow for the first time in years, the dungeon finder is amazing. One of the thigns I despised most was the impossibility of finding a group in the same level range to do mid level dungeons. The dungeons have become incredibly easy although I can live with that compared with the frustration of my past experiences.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 12:13AM DarkWalker said

A few tidbits:

- More players, by itself, won't help queue times if the main issue is lack of one role. It's why Blizzard instituted a kind of "bribe" for in-demand roles in their LFD (if a role is desperately needed, players queuing for that role get an extra bag of loot for finishing the dungeon, with a chance to get pets, mounts, gems, etc). It's also why DCUO decided to implement a buff system that lets groups without one or more roles actually tackle the easier content.

- Cross-server tools are bad for the community when players that meet through them can't intentionally play together again (similar to WoW, specially just after the LFD was implemented); this basically makes those players from other servers into faceless strangers. If players from different servers can actually change servers for free to meet and play together again, though, a cross-server grouping tool might become a fantastic way to find new friends, scout players for guilds, look for a guild, etc.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 1:50AM Thrilljo said

It's main purpose is not to find groups, but give people an incentive to do old content. It's a way for Turbine to recycle it. It's a good idea for them as a company, but it's not the kind of system players have been asking for going on years now. There's no mystery as to why it's unpopular.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 1:55PM Softserve said

@Thrilljo I don't know, I'd believe that more if it didn't have an entire Isengard section in it.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 11:26PM Thrilljo said

@Softserve Misplaced the reply. See below.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 3:52AM lowlevel said

I don't see how the LFG tool will overcome the fractured and strewn out server populations. Everyone is buying / playing different zones. Everything that is not on the path of the fellowship i desolate and by that I mean DESOLATE. Hence the LFG tool is useless.I challenge it to find me a group for Angmar fellowship quests / dungeons. LOL

In other words - thanks Turbine for ruining one of the greatest IPs with poor implementations of limp ideas and by sticking the cash shop in my face every 5 minutes, after fracturing the populations to hell. Now we have in effect, a single player LOTR - themed game. Good work.