Posted: Mar 31st 2012 10:14PM Bartlebe said

What's the population of the this game like today? I always thought it had some good ideas and was similar enough to some other sandboxes to give it some real depth.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 10:27PM Fakeassname said

@Bartlebe

I believe it's kinda hopping.

massive numbers of players from EVE converted to Perpetuum back during monocle-gate and I haven't heard about any reverse exoduses since then.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 10:28PM Bartlebe said

@Fakeassname

That encouraging. It was so similar in so many ways but different in a few really big ones. Being able to directly control your movements made combat pretty varied.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 10:51AM (Unverified) said

@Bartlebe

I tried it a few weeks back, and while I liked it a lot, the population seemed to have gone below critical levels. There was an average of 100 in the general chat channel, and the market was basically dead.

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 10:35PM Vorender said

wish more games would do this!

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 10:39PM jakofascalon said

I wish they would expand to space combat too. I doubt they ever will though.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 2:27AM Graill440 said

These devs are not as bad as CCP, they have standards ingame and mechanics in place to deal with the types of folks prevelant in EVE, thats why you do not see the type of behaviour in Perp as you do in EVE.

The housing looks interesting. I would not like it if it were instanced, open world islands with safeguards to a point which still allow for amusing fights on these home turf areas would be interesting to watch if done correctly.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 3:03AM Yukon Sam said

When I was a kid, my Mom says I would spend hours building elaborate structures with wooden blocks, and my little brother would just sit and watch with a malicious gleam in his eye. When he could stand it no longer, he'd race into the room and smash my structures into a pile of rubble.

From this I learned a valuable lesson: never build anything where small destructive children can get to it. This lesson has served me well in selecting MMOs.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 3:11AM TitusGroan said

@Yukon Sam

The difference is that in games like Perpetuum and EVE, you can declare war on the kid who ruined your buildings, kill him and his friends, take all their stuff, burn their structures down and smack talk them all day long in local chat.

I bet your mum never let you do that when you were a kid, right?

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 1:58PM Greymantle said

@Yukon Sam

That was pretty damn funny! Wise words my friend. :)

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 3:08AM TitusGroan said

I'm really interested in this game but I keep hearing that the population is really low these days.

A sandbox is nothing without a healthy playerbase, and I'm worried that I'll really like the game's mechanics and gameplay only to be disappointed by the lack of other players.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 9:29AM Maseno said

@TitusGroan

They have a free two week trial I believe. You should jump in and check for yourself. As someone stated earlier they had a huge population jump when the monocle debacle happened in Eve.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 9:28AM Maseno said

I tried to play this game back when the whole Monocle-gate happened in Eve. The problem for me was that the robots were so god awful ugly that I couldn't move past it.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 10:27AM rgolch said

This game wasn't that bad. I thought the UI was very polished, and I actually liked the EP system more than the Eve skill point system. But when you play it for a while, you start to realize how much deeper, and bigger Eve is than Perpetuum.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 5:51PM iowahawkeyedave said

@rgolch Of course EVE had a few years head start.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 2:05PM Plastic said

I've said it many times, but it bears repeating; the core game-mechanics of Perpetuum are much better than EvE. WASD movement, line-of-sight combat, anti-blob mechanics, skill-accumulation, and now terrain building, all make Perpetuum a much more enjoyable experience at it's core. Even the Dev team and customer support is amazing, possibly the best I've ever seen. The problem, obviously, is the low population, immaturity of content, and the less-appealing aesthetic of insectoid-like robots (spaceships are sexy).

I've tried countless number of times to force myself to get into EvE, trudging through 3 months of play time, because I was convinced by the masses that it was the better game. Apparently, to enjoy it I just needed: the right build, the right corp, the right sector, the right mind-set, etc., etc. But I could never get it to stick. I never have this problem with Perpetuum because it's simply fun from the very start.

Posted: Apr 1st 2012 2:17PM Jimmy Chowda said

I can confirm the population was back near where it was before the EVE riots as of late August.

And I have to disagree a bit with Plastic. Combat in EVE is far more involved. The battles I was in while in PERP usually turned into a "Train A is leaving the station..." calculation from algebra class in regards to whether or not a kill would occur.

To each his own I guess.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge