Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:04PM Yog said

History proves that MMOs whose financial support is in question always turn out to be bad MMOs and though I'm not a warhammer fan (not that I'm against it either...I'm indifferent) I know the IP is much beloved, especially the 40k variety...would be a shame to see another warhammer mmo fail on its ever devoted fans.

That said I know some people who will be supremely disappointed.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:05PM drginger said

Sad panda :'( I was looking forward to this game. Also, it sucks for the devs who were laid off.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:08PM edgecrusherO0 said

I fucking hate it with horrible executive's make shitty decisions about what the company should be doing, cause massive failures, and then the low level guys get punished. Seriously, THQ has slaughtered its low level guys while the executives who have been driving the company into the ground have been mostly untouched (one left and they all took a paycut, but they're all still making 6 figures).

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:13PM eLdritchZ said

well that's all my interest in the game out the window...

Condolences to all the folks who lost their jobs though =/ hope they find a new home soon!

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:17PM Lateris said

That is really a bummer. What they should now do is make a Space Marines II which is the same game engine and pursue that avenue. A lot of people did enjoy that game. The war hammer series may just be a continued cult status for gaming which is not a bad thing. World of Warcraft has really profited from its influence of the WH universe which is kind of sad.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:34PM real65rcncom said

@Lateris

I really don't understand why you and others keep saying "A lot of people liked Space Marine". No they didn't. The game had mediocre sales. The reviews were average (about 7/10). The game was okay but it wasn't fantastic or it would have sold more.

Warhammer is a niche IP and that's not enough to base mmos on but they kept trying to do that when sales didn't support that. I think they misread that actual interest in Warhammer because their fans are simply more vocal than others.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:59PM Lateris said

@real65rcncom I always think in terms of independent stats away from the mainstream within the 40k table top genre. So that's why I can say a lot of people did like it. Space Marine moved 1.2 million units across all platforms. To me when you line up people in one row, that's a lot of life. Now on aglobal scale that's nothing. which I think is BS. It just depends on your view or your market. For me I stand by that 1.2 million units and know how to make a profit with that type of sales even though I am a suite and tie. Million means money. And money fund art.

I can agree with your second paragraph.I don't feel it should be made into an MMO. I think MMO's are dying. Which I am glad to see because it will get us back to a real gamer's sport and away from this instant gratification BS.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:59PM real65rcncom said

@Lateris when you compare 1.2 million people to the amount that bought most of the RPG games over the same time frame, that's nothing. Of course it's a 'lot of humans' lol.

But in terms of market share, it isn't much at all and rather niche. That's also assuming all 1.2 million LIKED that game which you are pretending happened but no it didnt. The games only got 7/10 ratings from most critics and there's no huge cry for another sequel.

Again, most of this is viewed from eyes like yours as strictly a WAR fan and that's the wrong way to look at things. You have to look at reality as a whole with how much money was out in the market and how much this title has actually gotten over the last few years compared to titles like Mass Effect, GoW, Call/Duty, Elder Scrolls, The Witcher, Diablo series, Dragon Age, Assassin's Creed.. etc etc etc.

Warhammer games are going to be too small up against those types of games because you cannot tell enough of the WAR experience in a single RPG game, and they do not 'piggyback' onto future WAR RPG titles as a series.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 6:51PM Kalex716 said

@real65rcncom

While I would agree with you, that the warhammer license isn't going to instantly pull in 10's of millions of fans like the Star Wars brand might... The market share will be small, but that has nothing to do with the success of a single title released in a single year.

And it certainly doesn't mean its not valuable either as a license.

Not once did you ever mention how much money games actually cost to make.

All those games you mentioned with the exception of the Witcher probably costs multiple times the amount in development and marketing that Space Marine did. They're marquee games, and they're also all on their 3rd 4th and 5th iterations of their life cycles....

Space Marine, was made on a budget, with a pretty small team (relic is small), with the unreal liscense in a short period of time. 1.2million sold in for a game like that could potentially return more on the initial investment than most games ever hope to. You named Blockbusters only. We really only get a couple of those a year, and you are lucky to be involved with one once in your entire career in games if you do.

You ACTUALLY need to look at the realities of the industry as a whole more my friend. You are only focusing on the cream of the crop at the top. That is not the only measurement of success.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:28PM Miffy said

Probably for the best, these things happen because the game just doesn't look up to scratch and no cancelled MMO in the past was ever looking good.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:33PM Panicbutton said

Such a shame, this IP is right up there alongside the strongest Sci-Fi or Fantasy IPs and it continually seems to get the shaft.

Hopefully one day someone can save either the 40k or the original Warhammer IP with a great MMO, it would seem that's not going to be anytime soon.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:50PM (Unverified) said

I was really looking forward to this as an MMO. I tried the original Warhammer 40k (video) games just recently, and fell in love with the universe. I love the dark fantasy, and the tech mixed with magic.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:07PM rekluze said

Would have been nice if they made it into a WH40K MOBA style game instead of a single player RPG.

Just what i would prefer they do with the IP.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:12PM Gaugamela said

I'm sad that people lost their jobs and surprised by seeing people from Relic being laid off, especially considering that their work in the Dawn of War series has been interesting, if not in the plot of the games at least in the playability.

However, I am relieved that this game won't be an MMO. A two faction MMO doesn't fit the Warhammer 40k universe.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:14PM vaajtswv said

In an unrelated news, board members and share holders will be in Tijuana for a weekend meet and greet. The estimated cost this trip is equivalent to the total salary of all pinked slips employees. When asked why the cost was nearly identical, one board member responded, "The two items were merely coincidences. There is no proof that the money saved from laid off personnel went into the Tijuana trip."

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:25PM (Unverified) said

Sorry to all those people who lost their jobs here. :\ I hope things work out for them. The game itself wasn't really on my radar. But I'm sorry also to all the fans who were looking forward to it as well.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:30PM (Unverified) said

It's really perplexing to me why no one can seem to get a Warhammer MMO right and/or produced. It's a great IP. I often thought that WAR should have been a sandbox RvR MMO. It could have been for the fantasy genre what Eve is to the sci-fi genre in terms of a dark, open world, sandbox PvP experience.

And I don't even like sandbox MMOs! But it just seemed the Warhammer universe lent itself well for that. Anyway, hopefully someday someone gets this done for all the Warhammer fans out there.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:37PM Rayko said

KHHHHHAAAAAN!

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:42PM Vandal said

I'm disappointed to hear this, I would have liked to see a Warhammer 40K MMO. Ah well.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:52PM ThaneUlfgar said

I was looking forward to this game.

My thoughts go out to those who lost their jobs.

It sucks all around; here's hoping they can redeem themselves with the single player game.

WRUP: Expanshapaign is too a word

Posted on Dec 20th 2014 10:00AM