Posted: Mar 29th 2012 2:36PM HadesLotD said

I've been the leader of my guild since 1995 (Lords of the Dead), but I was briefly overthrown for a few months back in 1998. I came back and cleaned house, and haven't had issues since. Most of my senior leaders have been with me for over 12 years.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:49PM Ravenesque said

When Guild leader becomes disconnected from their guild and refuses to deal with issues I find it more satisfying watching the guild implode rather than attempting to over-throw the guild leader.

I wonder what kind of self-delusions a Guild leader tells themselves when they are all alone in a once active guild, that a few weeks or days earlier were telling everyone in the guid that there was nothing wrong.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:05PM (Unverified) said

Was a member of warriornation.net for 7 years playing many games with them from RPGs FPSs and MOBAs

The leaders are all children, its like a middleschool with clicks of cool kids and trolls.

You'd think guilds would get better with time not worse.

I'm clanless from now on.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:52PM malaclypse said

I've been a member of backlash through various games for...6 years now. First leader went inactive, we had a schism, lost 50% of our members, came back stronger than ever. we raided under our second for several years. He knew he'd eventually need to move on, cut back his time due to law school, so he started looking at replacements over a year in advance. Guild chapters in other games tend to have different heads, but we've always kept the name a sense of community. Get together's every couple years in the middle of the country and an active forum have definitly helped with that. Some times members come and go, i quit WoW 3 years ago, but when SWTOR started and a new chapter formed i couldn't imagine raiding with anyone else. When you find a good guild, it's worth sticking it out.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 6:20PM BigAndShiny said

I'm a serial guild-creator. In Rift and TOR I've built 2 120+ person guilds, and every time left for greener pastures, handing over control. Recruiting, and levelling together is fun for me, but logging on 2 nights a week to raid and manage the guild bank is not. Leave that to the others I say, off to GW2 I go.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 6:43PM (Unverified) said

Another article that's hard to argue.

One thing I want to add is that not only is there a difference in age for those who start guilds, but a difference in personality. The people who's helped build the current guild I'm in aren't always with us long term. They may join for a few months to a year, but tend to burn out and kinda vanish, while the long term folks may not always have something new to add, but will support new ideas and help carry them out.

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays