Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:23PM Jef Reahard said

@Space Cobra

It's interesting that you and a few other people brought up the elitism angle. I didn't even consider that when forming the question. To me it's more about simply playing with your friends and having more control over the experience, like a private Neverwinter Nights server in effect.

In my version of this tech, you could always go join the larger community whenever you wanted to, but you'd have the option to host private events for roleplay, PvP, or whatever else.

It cracks me up to see so much hostility towards the idea (not talking about you SC, just this thread in general).

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 6:38PM Graill440 said

@Jef Reahard

To the original question, no.

Opens your eyes a bit when you see how devs have shaped gamers and the attitudes of those gamers over the last two decades, none of it good.

The devs are responsible for the labels and seperation of groups of people in MMO's, all due to the money models! Grin.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 9:53AM Vgk said

Definitely not

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 10:11AM xBludx said

How about the company doing their job and monitoring the community to make sure it abides by the TOS? Isn't that supposed to be what we are paying for with the sub fee anyway?

We don't need to pay "extra." The hell with that. We pay a sub and the GMs do what we pay them to do (i.e., enforce the rules, for example on a rp server, for names, etc. or on a regular server for racist, sexist, anal, homophobic in global or in abuse of trade channels). How about that?

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 10:20AM nimzy said

Part of the point of playing on an MMO, for me, is the utter lack of control you have over the other people in the game world. If you're going to run into someone, you're going to run into someone.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 10:31AM Vedivis said

The old MUD Dragonrealms has had something like this for years. You can subscribe to Dragonrealms "Platinum", which gives you access to a server with a much smaller community where roleplaying is strictly enforced and there are extra world events. It costs something like $10 more than a "Prime" subscription and $30 more than the cheapest one, but apparently enough people are willing to pay for it to keep it going.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 10:37AM Utakata said

What, so the wealthier get the only priviledge of filtering out trolls? Um...no thanks. Either have this feature available to everyone or none at all.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 11:57AM dudemanjac said

@Utakata Why is it anytime any amount of money extra is mentioned, wealth is brought up? Is one dollar extra too much? How about $2? No one asked for a double sub here. Why do ppl think special things should come for free?

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 2:40PM Utakata said

• 1 heart
@dudemanjac

I dunno. Because free things are good? (And don't tell me this your lead-up to a rant against F2P's.)

...but since you are into asking stupid questions, how do you know it's only going to be for a dollar or two? And for which games will this be in? Citation please.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:21PM Borz said

@Utakata FREE THINGS ARE GOOD!! I agree totally. In fact, I should get any game I want for free . I've emailed ArenaNet and they said I could have GW2 free when it comes out. I shouldn't have to pay for it just because I want it, correct? Only the wealthiest should not be allowed to play GW2, everyone should be able to play it. Also I should get everything in cash shop for may toon for free also. After all, free things are good. Oh wait, brb. It's the mail man with my free copy of Mass Effect 3 for the Xbox.

Your comment represents class envy at its worst. Lots of rich ppl only play F2P games, while ppl on welfare happily pay the WoW sub fee every month. You are saying a company shouldn't be allowed to offer a product because some ppl cannot afford it. If ppl want to pay for it, more power to them. Ridiculous.

And don't accuse someone of asking stupid questions just because they disagree with you. That shows no class.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:25PM dudemanjac said

@Utakata

Well that's just the point isn't it? No game was mentioned in this article, neither was any particular amount.

...but since you're into making stupid assumptions, why would you think I have a problem with f2p games. Done right f2p is a wonderful model. I gladly spend money in cash shop for little extras in f2p games. to enhance my experience in a complete game. Where did I say f2p is bad? Citation please.

And yes free stuff is good but the question was why do you think special things should come free.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 7:09PM Utakata said

@Borz

And your arguement reeks of MT apologist pandering. Yet you provided no evidence, citation or study whether players on fixed income play F2P or P2P or whether upwardly mobile players play the same. However, that doesn't really matter...

...for what matters is that many times it has been suggested the issue with MT's and F2P's has been that it has the potential to favor those with better incomes. Look up most articles in Massively with this subject and this is one of the biggest stated concerns for those who are skeptical of MT's. Slagging this off with being "class envious" just isn't going to make that issue go away, it will just inflame it.

@dudemanjac

I wasn't aware I was making an assumption, stupid or otherwise. I believe I made a statement that this feature should be availble to everyone. The question of your trolling indignation seems to take offense to that for some bizarre inexplicable reason. I don't know why...most reasonable consumers want fair deals. You don't. So I guess you want to be special snowflake on that. Fine. Be careful what you wish for though.

And on that note, framing the services as "special" just doesn't cut it.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 8:19PM dudemanjac said

@Utakata
Your mention of me leading up to a rant clearly shows your assumption. It's ok to be wrong. Don't back away from your ignorant comment as though it didn't happen. Own it and move forward a better person. We'll still love and respect you.

Fair is a relative term. I find it fair to pay a little extra to get something I'm not getting. It's not written anywhere that this kind of service should come as part of the game and as we all know it doesn't exist in most games. Reasonable consumers expect a certain set of channels when they pay for cable service. They expect to pay extra for premium services like hbo. If they get it for free, they are over joyed. Doesn't make it unfair if they don't.

And it doesn't need to be framed aa a special service. It's existence as a service that is beyond the normal service marks it as special.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 10:41PM Utakata said

@dudemanjac

You have my answers...I am done feeding you.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 11:29PM dudemanjac said

@Utakata

That's fine. Though it's a shame we can't disagree with each other and discuss the merits of our argument without you backing out under a supposed troll shield as though I've said something outrageous. I don't want to say it's a sign of a weak position because that would sound like trolling but when it fits what am I left with? Suit yourself.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 10:40AM dtoast said

I'd pay 1/3 extra for this. So for most MMOs, that's $20/month.

If I wanted to be a part of a community full of assholes, I'd go play CoD or something. $5 a month is nothing to me, hell, if it was well filtered I'd probably pay double just to have a community full of intelligent, like-minded people (because all the scum of the internet would get banned quite quick).

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 10:42AM Dunraven said

Considering what huge douchenozzles some people are? hell yes I would pay more.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 10:52AM (Unverified) said

I wouldn't pay more than 15 bucks, infact, i don't even want to pay that anymore, my limit is about 8 to 10 bucks now, that's what I'm looking to pay, so no.

However with sites like Wikipedia using unpaid work force of geeks who write and maintain articles and it's doing extremely well, why can't we impliment players like this? Give certain individuals the power to protect and enforce these laws of the realm. You'd still have GMs for more complex tasks, but a lot of the players can answer simple questions, stop spam, and even answer technical questions. It seems many companies do not give their player base enough credit. Perhaps the players who do this, can earn cheaper subscription costs, or certain vanity rewards. However wiki editors get nothing, but the satisifaction of building a great site and it's working. I'm sure every MMO has hundreds of players capiable of handling these duties.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 11:09AM nostologic said

I'd pay extra for a community based game that forced grouping and only had minimal solo classes available. I'd also like it to have a BBS or some sort of rating system so that players could be rated so I can know what I am getting into before I invite someone.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:25PM Borz said

@nostologic Excellent idea. Back in the crusty ole days, when there were no servers transfers and leveling took time and effort, bad players quickly got bad reputations and everyone knew who to stay away from.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story