Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:10PM djodars said

• 1 heart
It looks very Battlefield 3-esque. Especially with the "player kill assist, squad assist" and such... not a bad thing, pretty cool actually but... if it isn't free, I don't see why I would pay for this instead of BF4 for example...

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:17PM Jef Reahard said

@djodars

Mainly because PS2 is massive in every sense of the word. BF is, what, 64 players on the PC version? PS2 is 600 or more (or whatever the number is, I forget). It's also not instanced/lobby-based, and that lends itself to a totally different feel and much more depth imo.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:18PM (Unverified) said

@djodars

Oh, I don't know... maybe the scale of the battles? BF doesn't even come close to the scale of Planetside.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:46PM (Unverified) said

@djodars

The persistent world is a big part too. I played Planetside for a good bit and the most fun I had was related to persistent world elements which you don't find in a lobby based game like BF3.

Some nights I would log in and play for two hours and spend the entire time in a single battle. It would be a constant pull from the main base to the outlying outposts the attackers needed for resources and spawn locations. You really get invested in what your doing, its not just trying to wrack up kills for XP before the round ends.

BF3 is a great game and I hope PS2 combat mechanics are just as slick. Planetside had great meta game mechanics and I am excited to see how they improve on those.

Got my eye on this game for sure.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 5:01PM Lateris said

@Jef Reahard which is why I am going to be a sniper and go hunt, hunt, hunt the enemy!

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:23PM Space Cobra said

Reminds me a bit of Warhawk, but with extreme features.

Very cool, especially for an Alpha!

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:28PM Pingles said

Well, I'm in my 40's and have been playing games since I was 15 and watching that video made me more excited for a game than I've been in years.

On a sidenote: That video delivery service was garbage. Way to ruin the entire thing.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:33PM majorfalcon00 said

Seems people don't realize Planeside 2, like its predecessor, is an MMO first and a FPS second. What does that mean? Massive battles between hundreds of players at the same time via land vehicle, infantry, saboteur, mech, and air vehicle combat. I cannot wait to play!

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:43PM real65rcncom said

Can't believe it but it looks as if SoE has a very good chance to break out of a crappy reputation as far as players go.

Three factions, huge world, pvp focused (not PvE) and many ways of fighting in combat position this game in the catbird seat as far as upcoming PvP focused mmos.

It will be very interesting to see if they can sew up all the corners and make this into the PvP mmo people want to play. The alpha footage looks very good I must say.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 1:13PM IGameBeffer said

This looks promising...bet Keen over and Keen & Graeves steels your coverage lol. He will then bash the game probably and take down any comments that he does not like.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 2:04PM dudemanjac said

If I may...
"I'm shoving money at the screen but nothing is happening!"

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:33PM Maximum Proxy said

@dudemanjac PS2 will be free to play, so I'm not surprised.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:39PM Yellowdancer said

@dudemanjac

lol...good one.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:32PM Maximum Proxy said

I can't say I'm too happy with the team centric gameplay elements. You'll likely end up with people like on the public servers ic Counterstrike. Annoying people, who refuse to follow orders or work with a team.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:50PM Yellowdancer said

@Maximum Proxy

Well, this happened in PS1. But the thing is you can play that way also. You against the world. Lone Sniper behind enemy lines.

But if that is the case you can spec your leadership tree and generate missions for players to accomplish. That should solve 90% of what you're worried about.

Posted: Mar 30th 2012 6:40AM (Unverified) said

@Maximum Proxy It's like any other MMO. You can derp around with others derpers, or you can join a guild (forget what PS calls them). Join a guild and use actual tactics with people who can say things more intelligent than "U MAD BRO?".

However, if you don't like tactics or team based play you can always just derp around in call of duty, which sounds right up your alley based on your comment. All you need to win in that game is that one really good twitchy kid that carries the team.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:40PM dudemanjac said

• 1 heart
whoa whoa! It better be free for both then. that's a bit of the bullshit.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:05PM dudemanjac said

@dudemanjac
This is what happens when you don't read. Ignore this.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:47PM Vandal said

This game continues to keep my interest. It looks very promising.

I'm particularly excited about the vehicle combat. I gave up on World of Tanks and it looks like PS2 might be able to help fill that lol

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:24PM Macabre 13 said

Could it be that I might actually have interest in an SoE game? I loved most of the Battlefield series, and that video looks like it offers that kind of gameplay x10, with actual purpose and/or meaning from battle to battle.

Anyway, color me highly interested. Good on you, SoE, I didn't think it'd happen any time soon.

*Checks outside for aerial swine*