Posted: Mar 28th 2012 8:06PM Heori said

Not at all.

I think that graphics should be good and not detract from gameplay, but the purpose of MMOs is to have many people playing together. Content, truly engaging content, is the most important thing. No contest.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 8:20PM Borick said

Bull.

Graphics is the last and most nitpicky thing that I look for. Oh, I value graphics, but gameplay and interface make the game -- the graphics are merely eye candy and are most dispensable.

Some of the worst video games in history were made by putting too much emphasis on graphics and media to the detriment of gameplay. Outpost, anyone?

Are we to appraise games "No matter how they look"? Of course! Over 25 million Minecraft players put LEGO Universe out of business, proving that point.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 8:38PM Heori said

@Borick I agree completely. I won't down-play how great graphics can attract players, but it can't hold their attention for long.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 9:03PM Maximum Proxy said

Eastern games tend to look nicer than most Western MMOs. Anyone ever notice that?

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 2:29AM DancingCow said

@Maximum Proxy

Definitely a matter of taste.

Personally I find my taste for anime has its limits, eg. when I tried Lineage two I found the art style super garish and a major turn off.

@Beau

"To this day, it packs more graphical punch and originality than games a quarter of its age."

The graphics are a bit dated but Ryzom's artwork is spectacular.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 9:04PM Joshua Przygocki said

Awaiting flamers for that GW2 comment...

On graphics: To me it's not about graphics, but the style. If a game has the generic shite 3d/crap texture/generic f2p balls graphics I am less likely to play it. If it has nice little sprites like wakfu, a beautiful scenescape like TERA, or even a cartoony stylized look like WoW or Allods I am more likely to play.

It's not about the graphics themselves, but how they are presented.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 10:28PM Deliverator said

Both great games and horrible games are made using the latest graphics technology. I'm not giving a game a pass on pulling 16bit graphics in 2012 just because it lives on a phone. I'll stick with great games made using the latest graphics technology.

I live about 10 minutes from work though, so if I have time to game, I'm normally near a gaming machine. I really don't see anything special about tiny screens with games from the late 90s crammed onto them and given the choice, will put down the phone or tablet in favor of my rig anytime.

With regards to Minecraft - I love the game, but IMHO it's unfortunate that the technology doesn't yet exist to bring realism coupled with the same level of interaction and environmental destructibility. It'll come.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 10:29PM Riddled said

I think I may have just figured out something that has plagued me for a while. Beau and I pretty much have the exact opposite in game taste in games. I look for depth and complexity in all things including graphics. I love the new shiny till its lost it's glimmer and no further. I don't ever want to play a game where waiting is a part, which is the reason I hate mmorts. I've tried numerous times to play the games he recommends and can never seem to get into one. I love you Beau but I wish the other side of mobilie gaming was more represented, not that I'm sure there is new and flashy and complex in mobile but I hate to think that this iPad will forever be what I watch Netflix on while I game.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 1:57AM rossdonohue said

Kind of wondering why this article was tagged GW2.

Anyway, the way you describe your more recent gaming trends it sounds like you are shifting your priorities toward gameplay and bang-for-buck, rather than expressing a paradigm shift towards the use of graphics.

I appreciate the recent surge of more stylized art in games, but like the commenter, the graphics style alone is not enough to outweigh the game-play. And to reiterate, based on the games you've mention it seems more like your looking at utility/dollar as a larger defining quantity in your decision to purchase and play.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 2:32AM DancingCow said

@rossdonohue

Maybe he was thinking of GW2 when he wrote it? Their artwork is nice.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 2:56AM Barrikade said

I used to say graphics aren't important, but with all the options out there now I am getting pickier. I still think good story/gameplay trumps graphics, but a beautiful game will at least catch my interest.

I guess hand-in-hand with graphics is art style. TERA looks pretty nice visually, but to be honest, I don't want to play TERA because of the art style. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but there's just something I don't like there. Not to mention it could be renamed "Boobs Online."

Meanwhile I could hop into Fallen Earth and enjoy the crap out of it for hours at a time...

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 9:31AM ntellect said

I feel exactly the same way as the OP. I played countless 16bit SNES RPGs on my cell phone last year until I found MMOs. I fall in the middle, I like nice graphics (easy on the eyes) but doesnt have to be super realized. I tend to go for the more upbeat, cartoony/stylized models over the ultra realistic. Games today are getting too dark, cynical and serious for me.

I too have been playing F2P games that have 'simple' graphics, but DEEP gameplay mechanics. Currently playing Eden Eternal which has a beautiful cel-shaded look ala Dragon Quest (but if it was in HD).

I wish more developers would make games like this, allowing them to expand the world to massive scales since the characters and art would be of 'lower' quality.

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant