Posted: Mar 28th 2012 3:17PM c0gnit0 said

This game isn't user friendly, newbie friendly, or friendly in general to players in most cases. The thing you should know about pvp in DAoC is that CC controls fights. Your mez will be useless if someone hits the target after you mez it, including yourself. The only CC not breakable is a stun which not many classes have (but all hib casters have baseline. ALL. beware.). I can see problems where you may be mezzing and then doing your two DD's. That'd break their mez and they're free to cast on you. At lower levels, most melee classes can't win a fight against casters. The caster toolset is a lot bigger at lower levels than most melee. Your best chance in melee comes with a group that can slow or stun OR you level a weapon spec that gives you a slow style. That will help tremendously seeing as how if you interrupt a caster as a skald, the only proble you have to worry about is their quickcast. Once that's blown, stagger your DD's for interrupting their casting. The PvP in that game is unique in that it truly is old school. Despite what the vote may turn out to be this week, you cannot do real RvR yet. I advise being 50 for that with some gear, otherwise stick with battlegrounds. I know all the Ywain servers are clustered but I'm not sure whether or not battlegrounds are. On Ywain9 I can expect to run into enemies in the lion's den every play session. Your best bet for enemy fights is roaming around the edges, towards all the camps of the monsters as all realms share the same kill quests. There may be more than one camp of the monsters on the map, but the quest is the same. Go to the tomtes and keep going towards the Hib keep at their fire giants and you may run into some hibs at their giants. Some people say its dishonorable (and at higher levels it does give less RP), but the fact is that Mythic put the quests in battlegrounds for just this reason: PvP. Safety isn't a sure thing and it breeds experience in battle. Hope some of the info helped you, happy hunting!

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 3:18PM c0gnit0 said

@c0gnit0 To reinforce a very specific spot in that long message, you CANNOT DO RVR YET. Please don't waste votes on the RvR guys. He's not 50 ;)

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 3:47PM (Unverified) said

@c0gnit0

Exactly. Even if RvR wins, it should just be ignored. Two weeks in a row of frustration won't make him want to keep playing at all.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 12:17AM c0gnit0 said

@c0gnit0 Based on the voting patterns, I'd say for all the "REAL RvR" votes, place them into the battlegrounds votes. Its about the same it's just that the implementation is a lot different.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 3:32PM VirindiUO said

Week 3 and you're only level 9? Uhhhh. I got to level 36 after only 12 hours of gameplay.

Do the PVE quests in the PVP zones. They giv ehuge exp. You won't see players until you are at the 20-24 PVP zone.

The PVE world is huge and really awesome (cool dungeons, tons of monsters/spawns to explore), but unfortunately the exp is a joke compared to the PVP zones, so those 3 PVE quest grinds are going to take you all the way to 50.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 3:35PM SnarlingWolf said

Ahh DAoC, how much time I spent in that game at launch grinding out the random killtasks. I was one of the stealth rogues who did melee and my friend was a stealthed archer, led to fun times when ganking people, also made life on the full pvp server very interesting when we tried that for a while.

I like the fact that you give a game several weeks to give a full review. I wish more people did that. I'll have to pay attention in the future so I can nominate some Asheron's Call play time.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 3:48PM akubura said

This is quite disturbing, I guess the subs are really going down. Last year when I re-subbed for a month, the low lvl BG's were packed. I got to lvl 30 in two days of very casually playing.

You were probably breaking your Mez with your DD spells. If your going against casters save your DD's to interrupt their casting to get into melee range.

Daoc requires thought while playing, Its not like most games these days where you just pew pew all your skills in a row until their cool down is up, I mean you can play like that and you will win some fights, but your going to get owned by veterans. This sounded mean I'm totally not trying to be mean lol. I'm really trying to help as I was in your boat when I started.

Just remember that almost everything you do will interrupt casting and that will make your Skald shine vs. casters. Once you get in close your two hand will melt through them.

Grouping fixes everything, try to find a English person to group with lol again I was not trying to flame you in this post DAOC has a STEEP learning curve.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 3:58PM Praylude said

The 20-24 level BG Thid generally has some action. Other than that, you are better off powering to 50 and getting into real rvr.

Thought in all honesty, you are about 5 or 6 years too late at best. The game was great, but lack of player population and no dev team have it doomed to a slow decaying death.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:06PM Ogged said

do PvE up to level 20, then hit Thidranki.
Upon reaching level 24 do "/xp off" and enjoy your stay there :)

(you also might have to do "/rp off" when you are realm rank 1.3 or 1.4. I'm not sure what's allowed in Thid these days)

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:25PM Praylude said

@Ogged

This is what you should do. Listen to Ogged.

OP, read up on daoc combat. Read up on how Interrupts work, how mez works, how /stick and /face works.

Make sure you understand how to style and back up your styles in melee.

Read up on how to set a ground target at your max spell range so you learn how far away you can hit them at.

DAOC is pre-wow, so it isn't based on the "arrows over the head with big numbers flying up" design. You can't go into combat without understanding the basics. Don't get frustrated, just realize that there will be a learning curve. That's part of what we loved about the game. You have to work at it and actually improve rather than sit in one place and faceroll your skill bar.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:10PM Abluecollargeek said

I just played again a month ago for old times sake and there was a ton of people playing in the bg's. If you do the bg quests you also level really fast not sure why your still so low level. The bounty scroll thing is very annoying not sure why they don't just award points instead of scrolls. I will always have a special place for DAoC since it was my first MMO, but I wouldn't call it frustrating or boring. Leveling in the bg's waiting for someone to sneak up on you is anything but boring imo.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:12PM Darkkhorse said

That sucks that you were forced into the Bg's at such a low level... that would make anyone want to quit. There won't be anyone lower than 20 in those bg's. Once you have a 50 you can make a new character level 20 by a quick /level 20 ... so everyone makes there alts level 20 right when they make them.
the other issue is you need to PVP with other people.. there is no solo pvp, you will just die. You need to have a group to join or die in seconds cause that's what everyone else does... no one runs around alone.
I would ignore the vote and just go level to 20, then try the BG's. Mythic should allow you to just make your toon 20. Perhaps you should try it ;)

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 5:06PM gramaw said

@Darkkhorse They took away the /level functionality for now :(

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 3:27PM Nilssen255 said

@Darkkhorse The /level function has been away for years. Levelling in the BG's is by far the quickest route, even with the new PvE quests. And if you actually go through the hassle of finding a few players to group with you'll rush through the levels in mere hours. (Took me 4 1/2 hours getting to 35 a few days ago.)

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:29PM deluxe2000 said

yeah the only BG that matter is 20-30, but also very twink heavy. Follow the questgivers for awhile, do some tasks or find a dungeon so you can gear up. Don't hit RvR until 50, don't do BG until 20.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:30PM gramaw said

Honestly it's the voter's fault that you had this experience. There is no reason to leave the starter zone until you reach level 10 (it is designed to get you to level 10 with a full set of armor and weapon.) Also, if you see your trainer in Jordheim every 5 levels you will get a nice weapon. I would recommend doing quests in the level 10-15 zone until you're 15, then hitting the BG's. When you're in the BG's you should keep doing the PVE repeatable quests until you are the highest level for that BG. Once you are that level, then you can try to do some RvR. You should ALWAYS try to get a group for the PVE quests in the Battlegrounds because the kills will come much faster. Also, as a Skald with the best Midgard speed chant you will be highly sought after in groups. You will see how fast you can level when doing the PvE quests in groups. The 15-19 BG may have a little more PvP action, but the 20-24, 35-39, and 45-49 are the big ones (a.k.a Thidranki, Molvik, and Cathal Valley.) The rest are mostly leveling zones with a little RVR here and there. Also, that gear in the BG zones is actually pretty good. If you get the full set of gear it works together to make a decent template. You should save up your BP's and buy the full set in Thidranki (20-24 BG.) then do some RvR there when you get to level 24. Lastly, that little hand icon when you right clicked the BP scroll can be dragged to your quickbar. Then you can click the icon in your quickbar to use the scroll. One tip I have is to start with the bottom-most scroll in your pack and drag the hand to your icon from this scroll. You can then repeatably click the hand and it will use all the scrolls of that type in your bag. If you haven't figured out yet, you can hold down shift and right-click on an icon in your quickbar to get rid of it. You can do this with the buffs at the top of your screen as well. Don't give up! This game is definitely worth it.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:37PM Seffrid said

"I found more aggravation than fun this past week and kept wondering to myself, "When does it start to get good? "

That's the question I found myself asking, the difference being that I was asking it shortly after launch.

Fact is, DAoC is not for everyone, it wasn't for me and it may not be for you, Justin. It's a quirky game admired with total love and dedication by a compararatively small number of players still, most of whom stopped playing years ago if they're honest.

Ignore the people who say you should level to Six Gazillion in 20 minutes, they're just jerks who have had nothing better to do with their lives than play particular MMOs 24/7. As a new player you will naturally take longer than experienced players to find your way around and level up.

As to your question about where to go from here, I guess that depends on your feelings about the game. If you see some potential mileage in it then carry on with the benefit of the advice of experienced but sensible players as to what to do and where, but if you see no substantial benefit to be gained from doing so then I would move on to something more profitable from a time point of view, perhaps one of the other options you dropped in place of DAoC.

I last looked at the game a year or so ago and I found there was more companionship and action in Oblivion than in DAoC, it was even more deserted than the European server on Vanguard and that's saying something!

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 9:02AM Space Cobra said

@Seffrid

Lots of good advice offered all around, but I sorta am thinking this advice is the most level-headed offered here.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:49PM Ehra said

Just a few more bits of advice:

The easiest ways to keep tabs on where your target is is to use the Face and Stick commands. I usually have them bound to easy to reach buttons like V and F so I can use them at a moment's notice. Face has a much longer "range" than Stick does.

Skalds don't get any benefit out of using a shield, so you could try to get your hands on a 2hander as soon as you can.

Until you hit 20, the BGs really won't have many players. I haven't played DAoC since they did the recent revamp of BG quest rewards and PvE areas so I won't vote in this one, other than saying that you should NOT do RvR.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:51PM Ehra said

@Ehra

Also, the Use command can be assigned to a keyboard button (I think the default is U? Can't remember). You can drag an item to your hotbar and activate it by hitting U then clicking the icon on the hotbar.

MMO Week in Review: It is your Destiny