Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:45AM Balraw said

That's fine if that is how you want to play and it makes you happy.

You should however realise that is not ideal for everyone out there and some of us actually want to talk to others in an mmo, shocking though that may be to some of you out there. So if the community is as you put it "crappy" then it makes it difficult if not impossible for us to do so which then takes away a large part of what we enjoy about mmo's.

So personally I would suggest you follow your own advice that you nicely capitalised in case we should miss its sage content.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 10:43AM CountBrass said

@Khai mann

Not sure what your point is. I suspect you are trolling.

Single Player RPGs have far better storylines than MMOs. The reason to play an MMO is to play with others. The decline in quality of MMO communities, then, goes directly to the rationale for playing them in the first place.

--Count Brass

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 5:06PM EuchridEucrow said

@CountBrass

Warning for CountBrass: 9. Do not sign your posts.
User: CountBrass
Infraction: 9. Do not sign your posts.
Points: 0

Lol, sorry just a little E.J. humor :)

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:22AM Riddled said

League of Legends, I'm not the best player, and I tend to play supports so its rarely a problem for me, but I hate the way almost every game even if your team is winning that people feel the need to rip each other apart. Its not that I get offended and its rarely directed at me but its a heavy and depressing enviorment in which to do something intended to be fun. I havent played in quite some time it just doesn't seem rewarding.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 10:36AM Brendan Drain said

@Riddled I have the opposite problem in Heroes of Newerth. I always play supports, so people make fun of me for having a low kill to death ratio. Public stats are the bane of MOBAs.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 12:19PM Riddled said

@Brendan Drain Yeah I get that sometimes but most the time since I'm not feeding or KS and am in the middle of teamfights. well actuallys slightly behind in most of them they tend to get mad at someone who is doing one of the other things. I'm rarely praised like I feel I should be =p but most of the time its two other guys yelling at each other, or three guys yelling at one.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 2:23PM scfs123 said

@Riddled
LoL / HoN / DOTA, alllll fit this question so beautifully xD

Really fun games when you got nice players on each team.
Terrible games when you got the "GO KILL YOURSELF" spam going on.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:33AM (Unverified) said

I enjoy the gameplay of APB:R actually but the community especially on the European server is really immature and full of kids even though the game is supposedly rated Mature.
Elitism, accusations of cheating, calling people names / noobs just for killing you / winning the mission, obsession with "threat", etc...
I found myself not playing mainly because being in missions with many of those people is so unpleasant.

That's one issue with F2P - subscription tends to add a filter against unsupervised kids as well as put a little fear of consequences for one's paid account in the worst offenders (cheaters, those who would use racial slurs, etc..).

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 10:55AM Daverator said

@(Unverified)

THIS! APB community basically means I could only ever consider it a mild distraction and never something to invest time in.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:42AM (Unverified) said

None of them, really. For the most part the kind of game I am interested in tends to attract the kind of community I can live with.

For instance I'm not a fan of the WoW community, but more importantly I'm not a fan of WoW itself.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:42AM Malagarr said

It's been a couple of years since I played it, but the original Guild Wars (and upcoming Guild Wars 2). The community was just so immature in GW that I couldn't bear to play it.

I always hear people complaining that F2P games are ruined because a bunch of kids end up playing them. In my experience, it usually isn't that bad in most F2P games because, in many ways, you do have to buy things in order to round out your character. So the kiddies tend to stay away from them. This isn't true with Guild Wars, though. You pay for the initial game and you play free forever. So you end up with a lot of kids who can't con their mommy and daddy into paying a monthly subscription fee asking for Guild Wars instead. It wasn't as bad as public beta tests can be, but it was still pretty bad. It was my experiences in Guild Wars that will keep me from even trying GW2.

And to be fair...I'm not saying the whole community is like that. I'm sure there are plenty of mature people playing the game and enjoying it. But for me? There's only so much I can put up with before I call it quits. Public betas and free trial periods come to an end. GW is forever. =/

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 11:04AM (Unverified) said

@Malagarr
That's...unexpected.

While I cannot speak for your experiences, the conclusion is a bit of a head scratcher. In playing GW for almost 7 years, I've found the majority of players I've pugged with or shot the breeze with in town to be in the 20-30 range who picked up a subscriptionless game due to erratic work schedules and childcare requirements.

I suppose it is all anecdotal, either way. A few bad apples can always ruin the bunch.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 12:42PM Irem said

@Malagarr
I've had both good and bad experiences in GW. Overall I find the community to be fairly nice and helpful, but I've run across some real idiots in local chat. Nowhere near the level of WoW, though.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:42AM Greyhame said

Can't really think of one. Every gaming community has it's problems, but those all tend to be the minority of the total community. You just hear about them more because they are much more vocal/do attention grabbing things while the better parts tend to just do what they do.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:48AM threetailedfox said

I'll admit I've never played the game, and so can't say how it is firsthand, but I've heard so many horror stories about the playerbase of Gunz: The Duel that I'm honestly rather frightened to try it.

Usually it's not an issue, I rarely pay much attention to global chat, either soloing or focusing on a small group. Incidentally, the Eve scams and scandals never bothered me as I more saw them as being "part of the game". It's kind of a given that a setting run by Megacorps is going to be fairly corrupt.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:48AM (Unverified) said

League of Legends: I'm not a big fan of the game anyway. However, the community doesn't help at all. They're downright brutal to newbies of the game and the higher up members are typically self-righteous blowhards.

World of Warcraft: I played it for years. However, looking at it now it's just a bunch of kids going "my MMO is better than your MMO" and "WOWCLONE" on just about everything.

SW:TOR: Pretentiousness, pretentiousness errywhere.

Any Perfect World Entertainment game: I love Forsaken World... but the community just... frightens me. They spam emotes all day and if you're not part of any group, you're going to get nothing done. However, when you're in a group, most people just have the tendency to be horribly mean to others. It's... quite sad, actually.

Most G-Potato games: Kind of like Perfect World Entertainment, but they're a bit nicer. However, their patience towards newbies is almost at a LoL level.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 7:26PM Dalien said

@(Unverified) I was with you until you referred to SWTOR as pretentious. What does that even mean, and what does it have to do with the topic at hand...?

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:49AM (Unverified) said

I would play WoW again. I enjoyed the game, but the community was horrible.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 9:00AM MMOaddict said

Age of Conan PVP servers and Eve.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 9:49AM Celtar said

@MMOaddict

Yup, sums it up. The two worst communities I'd run across by leaps and bounds were Age of Conan and EvE. They should both be in their own category honestly.

People are complaining about WoW's community but honestly those two communities make WoW's look pristine in comparison. That said I will agree that WoW and GW were turning points in changing the mmo-rpg community to an uglier shade.