Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:09AM avaloner said

Probably WOW, I turned off that community during WOTLK or maybe EVE, thou that seems unlikly.

Also I am a little uncertain of the sort of people GW2 is attracting, people who go out of their way to troll pretty much every other game out there, even on their official forums while trumpating that GW2 will bassicaly destroy or undermine the rest of the MMO industry. Even the SWTOR fans where not as bad as this and they certainly set a rocord.

Once these people have settled in or moved on, I may give the game a go. Just funny how a community can turn you off a game even before it comes out. These same people will likly downvote this but meh.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:18AM (Unverified) said

@avaloner

Yeah, it's sad that these individuals bring down the image of the rest of the community. There are a lot of great people in the Guild Wars community who are going to make playing the game great. But until the game launches we're left with dealing with many players who have an idealized vision of the game. They're going to let everyone else know about this ideal, whether others like it or not. Try not to give them much attention. Once the game is out there with solid facts to argue about you won't have to go up against a fairy tale argument.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:31AM Balraw said

Hmm of the mmo's I have tried recently I would have to say that the European ftp version of Aion would fall into that category.

I quite enjoyed the game but the general chat was appalling and I wasn't at all bothered that I was locked out of it due to the ftp restrictions that were (are still?) in place. For a game that was effectively relaunched in Europe this was not a good first impression for me and though I may revisit it at some point it wont be any time soon.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:39AM Shiz said

@avaloner
"Once these people have settled in or moved on, I may give the game a go. "

Yup, lots of cool kids thinking its hip to troll and act like they're wtfpwnage... alas it is probably stuck in an endless cycle now so we'll never see the "good old days" where you could just PK that person / ignore them till they quit, as the whole server is now full of them :D ....

For me, i'd say LOL is the worst (though not an mmo), if you go to play solo, you've a 90% chance someone will 1)rage and leave, 2) die a lot then leave. 3) afk.... =D

2nd to that the AoC EU PvP server had a horrendous community too (it was the only PvP server at the time I believe) and it was full of flaming/ swearing/ dicks.... so I moved to a PVE one where I could experience all content with less annoyances.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:43AM avaloner said

@(Unverified) Yea i'm sure there are many great people in GW and even good GW2 fans. It just gets rather depresing seeing almost every thread on any MMO forum full of "this game will die when GW2 comes out" or "i'm out of here when GW2 drops" or even the fact that these same people complain about more then one news item a day from other games but its ok that MAssively has 5 GW2 articles in one day.

Anyway many GW fans are not like that and as always its the minority that give the majority a bad name.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:47AM Balraw said

@Balraw hmm not sure why this popped in here :( oh well

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 10:04AM Ehra said

@avaloner

Every big MMO in recent memory has had fanboys that won't shut up about the game and derail discussions into "us vs them" rants. That attitude is more representative of the gaming community as a whole than any one particular game's community.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 11:44AM (Unverified) said

@avaloner

I wish I could disagree. The MMO I'm most looking forward to is TSW, and no matter what website I go to, if comments are allowed there is at least one person posting about how it is doomed to failure and will suck because it has a monthly fee and comes out around GW2 (which will logically demolish it, in their minds). About a third of the time there is somebody from TERA saying how the will not play it because of the action bar control system. I even read one article where ALL the comments were a combination of "GW2 will kill TSW" and "TERA will kill TSW." I had thought it was just because the three games were coming out near each other, this is the first I have heard that it is GW2 fans in general.

You like your game, you support it, that is cool. Why are you trolling news for another game you are convinced will suck and fail? Do you think it will make you look smarter if you are right? Just let me get excited about my game with other people interested in it and go talk to other people interested in your game.

For the record, GW2 does interest me, but if it is loaded with the people I see talking about it, I will take a pass unless I know friends playing it.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 12:37PM Irem said

@avaloner
If it's any consolation, most of the people doing that will give up on GW2 and turn rabidly hostile toward it the minute they either get their hands on it or hear enough about it to contradict the image in their heads, whichever comes first. Then they'll move on to give the community of the next big thing a bad name. This is already happening to some extent after the recent CBT.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 1:08PM Calyptic001 said

@(Unverified) this is so true. Mmo gamers have that hate for games that could threaten the game they are backing the most.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 1:18PM EilertAlemat said

@(Unverified)

Please. Whoever trashing TSW can trash it. Doesn't matter. You know TSW community, game has it's playerbase. And, BTW TERA is good game, I won't play it because i'll busy with TSW, but it's good. :)

"Haters gonna hate." Personally never saw community bad enough to repel me from the game, but I remember LotRO community is very good. Ah, Landroval... :)

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:13AM Jokkl said

I dont know any MMO out there with a good community since WoW happend to us. Sorry to say that but since it sucked in the masses the whole genre is ruined (not saying that the casualmasses are the problem). This has nothing to do with the game itself only the community that lurks in MMOs since the last years. Problem is that the idiots out there are the loudest and its realy hard to spot the nice people when all you hear and read is shittalking callthemwhatyouwant.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 11:24AM Rayko said

@Jokkl

LotRO has the best Community (by far, imho) of any current game out there.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 11:35AM akubura said

@Jokkl

I agree for whatever reason WoW just started a plague of horrible people into the MMO community. Its hard to get into a game when all you see is troll after troll. Don't even get me started on their horrible forums. I would not touch those forums with a 100 foot pole.

Its really sad because the MMO community was amazing before that game.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 11:54AM MMOaddict said

@Rayko

I agree. Currently Lotro is the best of them all. However, FFXI before Lotro was really good too, although it had it's fair share of elitists like I have never seen. But you could easily stay away from those type of players as in FFXI, your reputation would precede you.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 2:01PM Borick said

@akubura Be careful that nostalgia doesn't blind you.

While I agree that the community in EverQuest was tighter, the respect that we often saw went hand-in-hand with brutal zero-sum competition like we don't see anymore in our everything-is-an-instance MMOs.

We were brutal to each other over spawns (raid or otherwise). Those at the top didn't just poach from the lower ranked guilds, they actively worked to block their progress using almost any means.

I remember when DROW farmed all of the weapons they wanted off the Sleeper in Velious and then promptly 'woke' him knowing that those guilds who were riding their back door wouldn't have access to the necessary gear to progress. And this happened on the most civil server in EQ.

We were polite most of the time because the unforgiving brutality of the world forced you to respect your fellows a bit more, but the community was separated into strict haves and have-nots, and a lot of effort was spent keeping the nots in their place.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 5:00PM EuchridEucrow said

@Borick

This.

EQ was home some of the biggest douchbaggery I have seen in gaming simply because of the way the game mechanics worked and how people abused them. Ogre body blocking entrances to dungeons, people intentionally training mobs onto you, etc. I mean kill stealing was practically invented by griefers that played EQ .

My experience in EQ avoided a lot of the upper level "end game" pissing contests but I had plenty of first hand experience of people abusing the, at the time, flawed EQ gaming mechanics to grief others. It's why, at that time, I went over to World of Warcraft when I tried the beta. It basically eliminated a ton of the kind of stuff that made EQ suck. I wasn't surprised to learn back then that EQ veterans had helped in the design of World of Warcraft.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 11:41AM JediSeer said

@Jokkl

As a couple of others have stated, LOTRO does indeed have the best community by far. Role a character on Landroval and if you can manage to get over the horrendous character models, you'll be treated to a community with a stark contrast from your typical MMO community.

And by the way it appears we share similar opinions

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:18AM Khai mann said

• Half a heart
Not playing a game just because of its community is an excuse...

I've played many F2P games with a crappy community... You know what I did? I closed all my chat channels and went on my merry way....

MMO COMMUNITY ---- GROW UP!!!!!

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 8:35AM Jokkl said

@Khai mann So why even bother playing MMOs? The comunity is a big part of any MMO if you want it or not. They are the people all around you. Sure you can play things like SWTOR for the story... but when it comes to groupcontent and all you see around you are idiots I just quit and move on. Not saying this has anything to do with SWTOR. Its just an example for the singleplayer part. No need to get upset!

MMO Week in Review: WoW's rebound

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 8:00PM

EVE Evolved: What does Thera mean for EVE?

Posted on Nov 23rd 2014 6:00PM