Posted: Mar 27th 2012 4:12PM Wild Colors said

Huh, it's almost as if they're releasing a sequel.

I haven't played AO in quite a few years now, but I'll be tempted to give it another try once the new engine and new player experience go live.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 4:27PM EuchridEucrow said

N.G.E incoming! Let's hope it works out better than that "other" one.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 4:52PM Heiltdo said

@EuchridEucrow Yeah, lets hope so.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 4:32PM Azzura said

Yes PLEASE character updates! :) Been so long since I popped into AO. I miss my fellow Angels of the Night - My first guild that truely felt like a family - Erredent, Snowglobe, Naiddean, Sheals, Tz, Slackman, Keeblor, Virtuelle, Spotless, Helg.....so many others. Hi to the ARKs too!

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 4:46PM (Unverified) said

Whens it coming out? I will def sub up to see how it is!

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 4:55PM Theodorus said

Any links to some new character art? Environments look pretty good, but what are the character models going to look like?

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 5:47PM Dagget said

They have shown some heads but not the redone bodies yet. Note that character animations won't change at all, just textures.

The video is classic Cube material but not exactly the best format for evaluating the new atmospherics. Hopefully another video soon showing off the character details (like the new pulsing glow in nanomage eyes) and cut scenes long enough to fully absorb the detail.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 5:48PM Titula said

• 1 heart
I hope Anarchy Online is a good and polished Sci-Fi mmo. After Earthrise and Swtor didn't succeed (please don't start me on "SWTOR success", I'm here to discuss about real mmo's, thanks). I have faint memories of trying AO looooong ago and lag + weak PC horrified me in the starter zone, plus absolutely no clue of what I was supposed to do except kill crabs(?) or whatever crawled on the initial beach. Was that a sandbox? :-P

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 6:10PM EuchridEucrow said

@Titula

(Imagine Gordon Ramsey delivering the following dialogue to you)

How 'bout you just ask your question instead of surrounding it in smarmy little digs at other mmo's, yeah? Wouldn't that be nice, eh? But why rise above the level of the average poster here, yeah? Where would the fun in that be, eh? Plonker.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 5:52PM Cavadus said

They've been hyping switching to the new engine for like three four *years* at this point.

I'll believe it when Funcom actually releases it.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 6:51PM Scuffles said

@Cavadus

I have no idea why, funcom doesn't really ring any specific bells but I instinctively Excalibur faced when I read the name ....

Seriously no freaking clue.... to the google mobile!

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 3:34AM MustardCutter said

Never believe anythng from Funcom

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 4:38AM nevin said

player models and static combat require the biggest changes for me. Standing still bent at the hips shooting at something 30 yards away while it does the same isn't engaging.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 6:39AM ZenD said

I want to believe.

The Big 3 updates would bring me back as more than an occasional visitor swinging by to say hi. Those 3 are the engine, the profession rebalance (huge reservations here based on the documentation so far) and the new startup experience.

It's been so long, though, that most folks I know have given up. And to be quite honest, I don't blame them.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 7:33AM Starstryder said

Love this game, used to be my palate cleanser between mmo's. When the new engine is finally implemented I will definitely give it a try again. Without dissing a company I actually do like, it has been so long in the making it has become a "seeing is believing" case though.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 7:51AM Ogged said

Let's face it, some of the systems the AO gameplay uses are simply not suited for todays MMO players who are suffering from ADD.

Remember that first time you wanted to equip that set of QL 300 symbiants ?

First you spent months collecting the symbiants. (which is much easier these days with the alpha/beta symbs from the Xan expansion)
You also had to spent weeks/months farming the necessary buffing equipment (helper ability implants/items)
All this while planning the exact order of how to equip those glorious symbiants.
Then you spent weeks or months changing your perks to get your abilities and skills ready to do the deed.
And when you had everything in order, you had to go buff hunting prior to equipping your dream items.

Finally, after you had all your shiny new symbs in place, you again spent weeks to reperk to your "normal" setup.

Man, those were awesome times.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 8:59AM Nepentheia said

Yay! Leeties now have big leafies to hide under! :-D

Posted: Mar 31st 2012 12:07PM Janitor said

Make this "Choose My Adventure" once the new engine hits.

Posted: Apr 3rd 2012 1:52PM jakofascalon said

Eh.. if I was supposed to be impressed by that video, I wasn't. However, I'd be open to someone proving me wrong.

Massively's MMO guide to the 2014 winter holidays