Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:22AM The Ogre said

• Half a heart
"I'm not allowed to discuss what I saw of the beta version of Guild Wars 2's cash shop just yet"

That's never a good sign, to be specifically forbidden to talk about something. Almost certainly means there will be some VERY unpleasant surprises connected to it that will likely end up with the response "We didn't realize players wouldn't like it, but it would be impossible to change now". :(

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:37AM Lenn said

@The Ogre If it was really that bad, it wouldn't have been mentioned in the piece to begin with.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:38AM Brianna Royce said

@The Ogre My gut on it is that Anet is just still in the *really* early testing stages of it and wants to finish it up and put out its own blog posts on it first. I didn't mean for my little disclaimer to sound ominous; I just wanted to explain why I wasn't being a whole bunch more specific. :D

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:48AM Lenn said

@Brianna Royce I like my theory better.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:49AM Snowblind said

@The Ogre If you're worried about the cash shop, everything available in it has already been leaked and there's nothing too offensive being sold there.

Not quite "cosmetic only" as they originally stated, but there's nothing that gives stat advantages or anything that would be game breaking. Just a lot of convenience items and quick ways to obtain certain things that can normally be bought with gold anyway.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:51AM DevilSei said

@The Ogre

While I'm disappointed they can't say anything about the Cash shop as of yet as well, I'm not about to jump onto the instant "doom and gloom" club after seeing the leaks.
Was there a couple items that annoyed me a bit on there? Yes. Did an item seem rather redundant compared to its lesser half? Yes.

There's plenty of things they aren't allowed to talk about, and it isn't because "it must be bad". It's a beta, things are always in a state of flux, and several of those things could easily of just been added. I'd love to know about the shop myself, but again, not gonna start summoning and hopping onto the Doom Trains here (this ain't no FF8 after all).

As for the WvWvW, it wouldn't make sense to have open world PvP in the game's context. This isn't WoW where its justified through Horde Vs Alliance context, the races are all banded together to deal with something much greater right off the bat. The World Vs World is as open as you can get, and they want to make sure it's not going to be a drag on everyone else. Heck, last time WoW tried an open-world conflict, it was Wintergrasp, and that didn't exactly stay "open" for long.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:54AM hami83 said

@The Ogre I think it's more that they don't want to discuss what might change.

You know how anal some people can be if someone is seen or mentioned to be in the game, and is then removed/changed.

I'm sure we'll learn about it before the game it out. Like most MMOs.

Considering pre-orders for the game doesn't even start until April 10th, I think the game is still very far away.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:01PM Patently Right said

@The Ogre There's already enough NDA-breaking info on the cash shop for you to make up your mind. You just need to look outside the "official" outlets; forums would be a good start.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:14PM Brianna Royce said

@Lenn I can neither confirm nor deny such a theory...

:D

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:17PM meanicK said

@Snowblind

karma boost is game breaking imo.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:29PM Snowblind said

@meanicK
Have you played the game, or is that an assumption? The point of the recent beta tests was (at least partly) for them to see how these items will work, they're not going to include anything that will break the game in the final release.

But I don't see why getting a 10% boost to karma affects the game balance in any way, especially if karma boost scrolls can be bought from in game merchants, like XP scrolls can be. It might let you buy better weapons quicker, but in the end, all gear has the same stats.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:32PM Deliverator said

@Brianna Royce
Thanks for addressing the question. If you can't talk about it then any reason you gave would have been taken 9 ways to sunday.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:09PM Mikx said

@Brianna Royce "My gut on it is that Anet is just still in the *really* early testing stages of it"

Translation: Five minutes after you buy something in the cash shop a strike team of IRS agents knocks on your door to audit you. Have to work out those little kinks before its ready for primetime.

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 2:11PM Vandal said

@The Ogre As other have said there have been leaks of the current cash shop iteration. Do a search and you'll find them.

I don't find anything unbalanced or unexpected in what I've seen. The items are exactly what ArenaNet has always said they would be, cosmetic and convenience items.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:25AM The Ogre said

• Half a heart
"The second is a new-to-the-franchise PvP system called World vs. World, which pits server communities against each other in colossal but casual, multi-week campaigns that provide bonuses to all players in that world."

Oh, and that is REALLY going to suck. Instanced PvP (as opposed to open-world PvP) should *NEVER* be allowed to affect the rest of the game under any circumstances. :/

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:31AM Eamil said

@The Ogre

WvW is as close to "open-world PvP" as it's possible to get in this game.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:35AM Lenn said

"the breathtaking Guild Warsiness of Guild Wars 2"

That's sheer poetry.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 11:36AM Allenomura said

This was very good and enjoyable to read.

I particularly was interested to read about how the PvP will work. It's a lot more appealing to me if I can have my character raised to the same level as other players, take part, then return back to where I was previously after the battle. Much more drop in/drop out, I think, is a surefire way to raise participation.

I dislike almost having to feel like I'm being asked to learn a new character "on the fly". Neither am I interested in churning through battles for the shinees, but the option to give it a punt, on equal terms, is something I'm much more keen on.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:03PM c0gnit0 said

And with a new GW2 post comes renewed anguish that I still can't play or even pre-order it yet... :(

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:04PM meanicK said

those "jump" jokes getting old :p

/jump

The Stream Team: A SWTOR housing tour

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Daily Grind: What do you buy in MMOs?

Posted on Aug 20th 2014 8:00AM