Posted: Mar 26th 2012 3:28PM Irem said

@Amlin
I get that a reasonable message to take away from this specific case is "do not play CCP games if you value human decency," although I'm not sure that's what CCP, or the average player of the game who DOES view themselves as a decent human being, would want.

On the whole, though, this kind of thing is tolerated way too often in the gaming/MMO community, or written off as normal. It's not, and while we may learn to -expect- it, we don't have to -accept- it.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 12:20AM Kalex716 said

@Irem

I agree with you. While I certainly understand some ridiculous trolling can happen in games, and in context, bad things get said and sophomoric, or even sick jokes can go on too long, and we may have an embarrassing chuckle at it in the context of the game... I'm guilty of it, and i've participate in my fair share of griefing all in the name of good fun. But it stops there, and I'd like to think i'd share a beer with anybody i've ever encountered in EVE good or bad and have a laugh about it...

But to think you get an opportunity to speak at a convention about your hobbey you are so passionate about, and you waste it by talking about this kinda trite garbage just shows you have really bad taste, and no class.

This guy is the opposite of an abassador, for not only EVE, but to online gaming as a whole.

It actually makes me kind of embarrassed that I play...

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:46PM DevilSei said

You know... I like how there doesn't seem to be anything in the terms of actions being taken against the SPEAKER here. At least any immediate action. He wants to start saying crap like that, then ban him from the CSM I'd say.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:47PM HereticalPenguin said

They must be too used to the anonymity of the internet to have some damned decency in public. All the imaginary spaceships in the world doesn't give a person the right to talk like that.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:47PM Fabius Bile said

if the most boring and tedious gameplay ever known to mankind wasn't reason enough to avoid that game like the plague, now you can add a community that votes for a guy like this to represent them

twice

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:50PM Faction 3 said

@Fabius Bile

Personally, I'd take the panda over the game.

And ask for a reach-around.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:49PM Irem said

"Kill yourself" is his favorite way of telling people that they've said something he finds disagreeable, so this shocks me not at all. He's an interesting guy, but anything admirable about him is consistently overshadowed by the edgy-internet-sociopath crap that typifies online machismo (and, frankly, runs rampant in a hefty chunk of the EVE community, from what I can tell).

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:52PM hami83 said

Maybe CCP should ban this guys EVE account and delete all his data.

See if that "pushed him to the edge".

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:52PM Azrielen said

Oh look. Another reason I won't ever be playing EVE. I didn't really need another one, but hey.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:53PM (Unverified) said

There we have another reason I don't play fully open pvp bullshit

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:53PM Royalkin said

This really could not have happened to a nicer guy. /sarcasm

Seriously though, Mittens has needed to be taken down a few pegs for quite some time, and perhaps this will lead to such.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:56PM JohnD212 said

I sure hope someone loses their job over this. This is not acceptable behavior for any type of responsible company and for it to be streamed all over....unbelievable. DOn't give us anymore PR spin....I want to know who is on the street for this and they need to start making some type of investigation into this poor guys situation and make sure he's alright. Giving out his name is so irresponsible. How is he ever to play the game now without being harassed especially a game like EVE where obviously they encourage such elementary behavior. I had considered giving the game another try but with so many other choices...this type of crap just turns me off. Clean up your act.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:56PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
So Mittens (aka The Mittani) leader of one of the largest bully pulpit alliances, accused of bullying some guy in game?

I AM SO SHOCKED. No really, I am.

Mittens is a great player, runs a great alliance, with that said, I wouldn't want to be on the business end of his malice (his or his alliance)

It was an unfiltered discussion. Why is this news?

Real chances are is that the guy Mittens is referring to went on a QQ festival after he got ganked/scammed and starts throwing out the "My wife just left me" or "im going through a rough divorce" in some vain hope that Mittens would have a caring bone left in his body.

Thats what the people do who are to dumb to not get scammed, they cry foul and start listing excuses to prey on the sympathy(or nonexistant sympathy) hoping for a "Do-over"

I see no problem with anything said in his presentation.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:06PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
Normal human being logic dictates that when presented with a choice between avoiding triggering a potentially suicidal person and getting a few giggles off mocking them because hey, they might be faking it, the latter is not worth it.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:11PM c0gnit0 said

@(Unverified) While I see what you're saying about a player drumming up the sympathy "do-over" and respect that you think it's weak, IF the player saying he is contemplating suicide really is contemplating it and someone publicly announces, "I know we all play an internet game with some adherent anonymity and privacy within our chat, here's the guy's name and I want you to go tell him to kill someone. You, complete strangers to me, complete strangers to him, tell him to remove his life from our planet," there is nothing "okay" with that. There IS something wrong with it. If you see nothing wrong with someone technically playing accomplice to suicide (which is illegal by the way), then perhaps you should check yourself into a psychiatrist's office and expect to walk away with a prescription or into a facility. The fact that you see nothing wrong with 1) Blatant lack of value of human life 2) Willingness to support suicide 3) An illegal act as defined federally within this nation, shows that you are just as devoid of the same human decency expected in this world as he is. Mittens and you should both be required to see a professional for an evaluation. You're both horrible people for defending people who wish to prod others into suicide.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:12PM c0gnit0 said

@c0gnit0 Kill himself*. edit button please...

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:18PM Amy said

@(Unverified)

The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:47PM fallwind said

@(Unverified) "So suddenly, now im a bad guy because I choose to ignore the BS "

no, if you had ignored it you would have actually IGNORED it. That's not what happened here, Mittens went out of his way, to use an internationally streamed video feed to encourage other people to go out of their way to harrass that person.

That isn't ignoring it, that isn't passively not doing anything, that is actively working to make the situation WORSE.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 4:21PM Amlin said

• Half a heart
@(Unverified) Indeed, a persons life is thier own responsibility. Unless I take an oath and/or wear a uniform I'm not obliged to concern myself with anothers life.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:57PM (Unverified) said

CCP enables him, so he continues.