Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:14PM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
This isn't the first time I've heard people talk about GW 2 character creation is that ridiculous glowing term aura, I coudn't understand it then when I didn't know the fool details and I still cant' comprehend what is so great about it now. Am I suddenly going to play the same character over and over again because of those character choices?! One of them is about an item you wear for pete's sake!

I thought the game looked ready to release 6 months ago. Come on now Arena don't overhype what is to be frank looking weak now is the time to be releasing it and you don't even have a date! I am going to buy GW 2 because its free to play and it looks pretty decent. Other than that... meh.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:12PM Irem said

@(Unverified)
The game is nowhere near ready to release, take my word for it. I can't even begin to tell you how far off-base people who have been gnashing their teeth over it being "ready" because the demos looked good and getting upset about ArenaNet taking their time are. They're doing exactly what they need to do.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 5:00PM Maximum Proxy said

@Irem That reminds me of the Postal 3 trailer " Coming out when it's done".

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:20PM (Unverified) said

I never played Guild Wars. Ive played WOW, EQ2, DAOC, RIFT and other games of different genres - but ever since I first heard and saw details regardling GW2, I've been incredibly excisted. The game looks to be a living GAMEWORLD with epicness throughout - Roleplay, STory, Adventure, Exploration, Exciting combat, etc...

I want to play GW2, but I'm wondering if I should play GW a bit beforehand to get ready for it? I dont want to lose my interest in the Guild Wars world by playing an OOOOOOLD game that doesnt even compare by leaps and bounds. LOL

So, I ask you players.... Is it better for someone to play GW for a few months until GW2 releases and then play GW2 fulltime? Or, should I just wait and at the most, read GW1's lore if at all - and when GW2 releases, I play it fresh, with ITSELF being my first experience in the GW gamewold adventure?

I appreciate any and all info - thanks! Salute!

-X

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:26PM c0gnit0 said

@(Unverified) Honestly if you want a sense of the universe and lore of the franchise, dip your toes into Guild Wars, if not at least for the history of the human and the Charr. If you don't really want that much lore but would like some backstory on the GW2 universe, I highly suggest the two novels written called Ghosts of Ascalon and Edge of Destiny. Finished them both in about three days total and it just got me all the more hyped about the GW2 lore. The only effect Guild Wars will probably have is the Hall of Monuments, involvement within the lore aspect, and just a general feeling of the GW universe (geography, names, history, some classes, etc.). Long, game version? Play the original some. Shorter, less involved version? Books. Or you can take part in both :)

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:51PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
hmm I almost want to volunteer to give you a quick run through prophecies (original campaign). But I'm quite busy atm so can't promise to be available. If you could find a veteran then it could certainly be done before release.
The experience would be akin to a movie for you, where you play the main character. (the veteran would just be there to support you). If played correctly the game is really magnificent even today and boasts a wonderfully immersive story line. The reason that you would need backup is that in my opinion you really need to play through at least to Ascension and preferably to the ring of fire missions. And that can be tough with henchmen. If you are really enthusiastic you should also buy the eye of the north expansion and try to see that part of the world. Forget about factions and nightfall.. they are great but too massive to complete before release.

Mind you, if you do it, you should insist on viewing all the cut scenes throughout the game. And you should try to disregard the sometimes empty cities (in comparison to 4-5 years ago when they were bustling with activity)

If this doesn't sound interesting then you should spend some time reading the lore as you mention.

Good luck! and see you in GW2 :)

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:57PM hami83 said

@(Unverified) Guild Wars 1 is pretty dated graphically and game mechanics wise.

If you want to catch up on just lore, all the cut scenes are on youtube or/and you can just read the Guild Wars wiki site for a plot summary.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:03PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
I believe you would absolutely love the GW story. If you ever loved Blizzard games in the past, keep in mind that many of the people who are on the GW team were part of the ones who created Diablo and Starcraft and Warcraft so the story aspects are very very good.

Personally if I were you, I would pick up all the campaigns. If you want to get right into it, start in order and play through Prophecies, Faction, Nightfall and then Eye of the North. To save time, you could follow the primary quests as those guide you through the main storyline and get you the lore and then can go back for the side quests as those aren't as important for the overall story. That can actually be finished rather quickly, maybe 2 or 3 weeks depending on how you take your time.

As C0gnit0 said, the novels are excellent and the third and final one will be released in August.

Much of what happens in GW2 is explained through GW and the GW novels so you will have a much deeper understanding of why Cantha and Elona are cut off, who the Order of Whispers are, Logan Thackery's background, the relationship of everything and especially the entire Ascalon story.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:07PM (Unverified) said

@hami83
Please don't listen to hami. The graphics most certainly are not dated, they are still gorgeous to this day. Armor sits on seperate layers and flows and moves like clothing, armor has a nice thickness and looks like leather and steel.

If you played WoW, if you remember in Wrath when they "updated" the water to make it look better, well, let's just say it didn't look as good as the water effects in GW when GW wwas released in 2005. And it was very easy on system requirements back when it was released then.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 6:10PM (Unverified) said

@Lilkitten
I can second this for the most part. GW1 does have elements that are a few years behind. Overall, it uses them significantly better than most. Aesthetically, it compares favorably with mmos that have come out in the past couple years, especially the Nightfall and Eye of the North addons.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:21PM c0gnit0 said

So many choices that influence your personal story when playing through the game. The only problem I see is for completionists (like me) that will want to see them all. It's going to be a lot of work to get it all experienced, especially with so many damned Charr sparring partners!

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:29PM (Unverified) said

WOw, Unverified - talk about BITTER. Are you always so depressing to listen to/read?

EVERY mmorpg is an amazing game, just for different people. Unless you are soo burnt out from playing mmorpgs wayyy too much or have sabotaged your own gaming by focusing on level/xp rushing and gear grinding/farming - Or, you just will never play a Fantasy mmorpg, something is WRONG if you arent excited about this game without criticism??

I will always feel bad for mmorpg devs, just because the players are sooooooo whiny and annoying as heck! They dont appreciate ANYTHING!!

They get a game that you can play 1 or 24 hours a day, every day for the next 20+ years and STILL have plenty to do! - and they still complain because it didnt come out soon enough, or something was nerfed, or they make teh girls breasts to big, or the shoulders too wide, or notr enough content (theres always plenty of content if you dont skip and rush everything just to feel special at level cap) or one of many complaints.

If i was a designer, Id stick to solo or console games, just because you dont have to cater to some of the worlds biggest wastes of life and no matter how many cool appreciative ppl there are, there will always be a vocal majority, not the real majority, complaining and crying, instead of kissing the ground and thanking above that we get something as amazing as MMORPGS!!!

20 years ago we were playing nintendo. Ten years ago it was nintendo 64 anmd playstation and computer games looked like atari games in some instances lol. Now we get massive gameworlds that have the looks of current single player games.

and we only have to pay $15 a MONTH!!!! Thats just insane!

They could charge $50 a month and at least 90% of current PAYING mmorpg players would stay and pay that for at least one game, permenantly - because they are soo great.

Fanboy? maybe. Realist? Absolutely lol

S!

-Xalon

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 12:35PM Kave said

Awesome stuff cant wait.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:02PM Bhagpuss said

This kind of character creation really puzzles me. Presumably each of those questions has in-game implications but how am I supposed to know at character creation what they are?

The potential implications of some, like the Streets/Common Folk/Nobility one might reasonably be guessed at, but what are we meant to make of a choice between "A spangenhelm, A cap helm, No helm at all". If I've just downloaded and installed the game, how am I going to know what a "spanglehelm" even IS, much less what it says about my character that he chooses to wear one?

Same applies to "Trickster demon, Skull, Ghostly wraith" or "Universal multi-tool pack, Eagle-eye goggles, Panscopic monocle". Either these choices have in-game meanings that I have no way of knowing, in which case it's pointless to ask me to choose between them, or they don't, in which case choosing between them is meaningless.

I'd much rather learn who my character is by playing him. Couldn't the game observe the actions I take within it and tailor my personal story accordingly, rather than pre-build it at this incredibly early stage?

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:11PM (Unverified) said

@Bhagpuss
Unless your character is a newborn baby, you will need some backstory.

Honestly, I would hate if everything was answered all at once, the beauty is in the exploring. As you said, it's fairly obvious the consequences of choosing the nobility/common/etc options and as far as the helm, I would hazard to guess that it affects your appearance which will also affect how people react to you. I would also think it will show you pictures of what each type looks like. Stop and think of how we react to what people wear in everyday life.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:22PM Mikx said

@Bhagpuss "If I've just downloaded and installed the game, how am I going to know what a "spanglehelm" even IS, much less what it says about my character that he chooses to wear one?"

The game shows you what they look like before you leave character creation. I could be wrong, but I don't think they have any particular narrative significance, they're there to give an extra bit of appearance customization.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 1:48PM Ashane said

"Think carefully about each, for they will have long-lasting consequences."

Which are... what?

No MMO yet has had any real consequences from your initial "story", so I'm curious as to what these consequences are. No mention was made in the article as to what they might be.

As another poster said, does it go so far as say.. picking Nobility for Human would perhaps grant you followers for certain quests, while the street rat would have thieves helping, etc?

If its just a personal "backstory" / lore type thing, then its really inconsequential to the majority of MMO players.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:18PM Irem said

@Ashane
The initial choices determine what path your character's story throughout the game will take, and it branches out quite a bit right off the bat. There will probably be some overlap, particularly at the point where the Durmand Priory/Order of Whispers/Vigil content comes in, but depending on what you chose at the beginning, you'll meet different characters, have different choices to make, see different parts of the plot, ect. From what we've been told it all converges at pretty much the same point at the end (fighting Zhaitan), and it doesn't offer anything different in terms of gameplay benefits for different choices, but there seems to be a lot of variation between this and the personality system to help people at least loosely define who their character is on their journey.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:08PM ntellect said

I tried Guild Wars, Its free for the first 20 levels or the first six days or something trial like that. For whatever reason I really couldnt get into its lore, and it didnt excite me so I uninstalled.

Guild Wars 2 looks to be a different game, with the same common lore and definitely anticipating this title. They dont look like they have recreated mechanics, but changed it enough for it to become a fresh experience. I for one look forward to the (hopefully) open exploration and the rewards that come with it. Something that has been missing from recent MMOs in my opinion.

This also might be the first MMO to get me to dip my toe into PVP, or more grouping since they make it (sound) so intuitive.

The race for my perfect MMO now rides on GW2 and Lime Odyssey. Eager to see which one will be called 'home' :-)

.... well at least until ArcheAge comes out in the US

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 2:56PM bmanme said

@ntellect first ....trial its 14 h/2d
2nd.... gw1 has only 20 lvls
3rd .... of course u didnt ''get'' gw its almost 6 years old for a beginner its very hard to start alone(because some updates which made gw easier if u use npcs then pugs) , trial (because u dont have enuf time) it shows like 1% or even less(from first campaign prophecies, and there are 3 camp +1 exp) i bet u ddint get out of pre-searing(tutorial area) which is really boring , gw is an amazing game if u have patient,...but u need to buy all 4 and have patient until u get used to it.

p.s sorry for brackets tried to explain in short w/e i could