Posted: Mar 25th 2012 8:22AM Space Cobra said

Another question I really do not easily fit into.

I do tend to flit from game to game and MMO to MMO, but I say to myself, if I leave (and like the game) that, "I will eventually be back!"

This time spent away may vary from two weeks to a year or more. I may even still be involved with the community or have contacts among online friends. Basically, I play too many games and don't get to all of them, online and offline. But, I have signed up in good faith to a few games and I try to come back to those on a regular basis, even a sub one or two. I prefer Lifetime Subs not necessarily for "value" to me (as I said, I tend to drift) but because I don't have to worry about subbing if I ever get an "itch" to play. Of course, f2p can fill that need, if I like the game enough.

Actually, finding a multi-player guild would be best for me, but even then, sometimes I do drift onto a new (or old) single-player game or two...or three. It's the variety that keeps me going.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 12:44PM MMOaddict said

@Space Cobra

Well said. This is me to a degree as well. I've never been subbed to a game for a year or more in one long concurrent sub. I've been subbed for a few years to games but it was an on and off again type of scheme. Sub for 3 months, unsub play something else, come back a few months later etc.

The ones I come back to most I would categorize as my "commitment" MMOs. WoW, FFXI, EQ2, Lotro and Rift currently. Soon to be in company with GW2, TSW and ArcheAge and whatever other game catches my fancy for longer than a month.

I too prefer Lifetime subs on games I really enjoy just so I don't have to worry about resubbing when I get in the mood to replay it. Sadly on Lotro out of my list ever offered a lifetime sub. Wish WoW had one that's for sure.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 1:13PM (Unverified) said

This sounds a lot like me. I've left MANY MMO's but there are a few that I think fondly of and come back to occasionally: LOTRO, EQ2, Rift, WoW, Fallen Earth, FFXI...and often when I come back and play any new content, I have fun. I enjoy it for a while, but eventually start to remember why I left and do-so again. I only stay as long as the game satisfies.

Sometimes MMO's can just feel like a bad relationship, where the love just... isn't quite there anymore. WoW being a big offender in that dept. Every time I left, all the bad things I hated would disappear in my memories and I'd only remember the good times Wow and I had together. She'd lure me in with flashy upgrades and bling, and I'd tell myself, I'm going to give WoW one last shot... only to have it repeat all over again each expansion. Sorry old girl, I'm moving on.

Currently I've dusted off Guildwars (yes, the original) from the shelf and am giving this old romance another run while waiting for its hawter young sister GW2 to arrive on the scene. I should probably feel guilty, but what can I say?... I'm a player.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 1:26PM Jeromai said

@Space Cobra

Me too. Commitment is not a word I can use to describe my relationship to games and MMOs now.

Back in the time of MUDs, it was a -habit- to keep logging into the same game and do the equivalent of raiding with the people who were also hanging around, but a commitment? Only when we had prearranged times for group activities, in which one played some kind of critical role, then it became a committment, and shortly after that, an obligation, and then a burnout.

Since then, I avoid both prearranged times for anything game-related, or things where only my character can fulfill a critical role, and ta da, MMOs last as long as they last. Normally 1-3 months before I move on to something else, fully intending to be back or check it out again "someday."

Longest term flame is still City of Heroes, minus a gap where I canceled the sub to wait for solo Incarnate content to be developed. I'm fond of RIFT and my heart was lost to GW long ago, and lots and lots of minor flings with pretty much everything else, many of which I like and wouldn't mind carrying a flame for - if there was ever enough time to play them.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 8:30AM Nidrew said

I have subbed to a few MMOs in the past 6 years, but have only commited to 3.
First was Everquest II. This game has held me the tightest. I have taken a few breaks but always return.
Then Star Wars Galaxies. I played this game a lot taking advantage of SOEs station pass so I could play it and EQ2 for one price.
At the moment the only MMO I am playing is Star Trek Online. While probably not the best MMO out there, I am a huge trekkie witch makes up for its short comings. I have had a lifetime subscription since launch and do not regret buying that at all.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 8:37AM pcgneurotic said

I've been with EQ2 the most consistently over the years (that was a Day One purchase), although I was seeing her older sister for a good three years prior to that. EQ2 and I did have an ever so slightly bumpy patch while I was seeing WoW on the side, which relationship lasted about four and a half solid years. But DDO has also seen a lot of love from me; first for a two year stretch (again from Day One of Stormreach boxed retail). And DDO's short, sexy cousin LoTRO also got my loving for a few years (from Day One retail).

EQ2 is my old lady though. When it comes down to it, she just knows better than any other how to please me. Yup.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 9:32AM (Unverified) said

@pcgneurotic
hahahaha awesome man:)

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 9:56AM (Unverified) said

Just one, World of Warcraft. After resisting the whole idea of paying a subscription for a game, I started WOW shortly after the BC expansion. That's 5 years ago? Real Life has forced some breaks-in-play, but I only began looking at other MMOs when I was briefly banned for transferring gold between two of my own accounts. The annual pass was a no-brainer for me, and I'm currently one of the people that's annoyed to be watching other people play the MOP beta

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 10:04AM Patently Right said

Four... I'd think, in five years. One took a huge chunk of at least two years (my first MMO -- which would probably be a recurring theme with other MMO gamers (admit it, you didn't know better)), and then, eh...

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 10:08AM Tatsuk said

I've given more than a year apiece to Anarchy Online, World of Warcraft, City of Heroes, EQ2, Guild Wars, and Age of Conan; something on the order of six months to Vanguard, Rift and LOTRO.

The ones tugging me back most strongly are EQ2 and AOC, although I have high expectations for promised revivals of AO and Vanguard.

I've tasted of STO, SWTOR, Champions Online, Aion, EVE, DCUO, DDO and Vindictus, but they've yet to hold me for any measure of time.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 10:20AM Resurge said

Before the F2P boom of the last cpl years, i could honestly say i had played 90% of all the MMOs available. I spent years in DAOC and then WoW, but with lots of month to 3 month tours of other games. DDO, EQ, EQ2, AO, Auto Assault, Matrix, STO, CoH/CoV, Swtor, etc etc. I like to have a place to call home, but i am not above constantly looking for the next big thing.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 10:32AM PragaJack said

Well, in fact i started with WoW, played it 6 years, and i gone to Aion, Perfect World...

Now, i try all the games, i like all of them :) But my number one is Perfect World.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 10:40AM Yukon Sam said

I stopped counting. Not just MMOs I've played, MMOs I've played for a year or more. And yes, I've still got my UO subscription -- haven't logged in for months, but it's still there waiting for me.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 10:54AM Deliverator said

For me it was Lotro until they turned it into a cash shop skin.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 10:57AM (Unverified) said

TOR is my third game I'm planning on making a long-term commitment to. EVE was my first, back in late 2004, and I spent 2 years with that, followed by 4 with WoW, and TOR is the third that has hooked me. I still go back to EVE from time to time as well, though. There's something wonderful about that game that just satisfies me.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 11:18AM Bottleskup said

Really long term flames, EverQuest 2, which i played through all of DoF, KoS, EoF, RoK and TSO, left just before SF hit the servers.

And er...RuneScape, which I played in high school, and then moved to rs2 when that came out, and kinda been off and on since then really, same with GW.

In between SF release and now Ive pretty much just been dabbling, did LoTRO for a while, maybe like 4months, tried EvE, AION, DDO, RoM, blah blah blah.

Next intended commitment is to GW2 unless life gets in the way (dratted thing!)

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 11:45AM Quarlo said

I was an avid WoW junkie till i hit a wall and burned out on the game.

Right now I'm giving my time to Rift and STO. Im a Trekkie so STO will always be on my hard drive and after playing other games I find Rift to be one of the few games where the developers are earning the money I give them.

Wanted to like TOR, but it was shallow (to put it nicely).

Once The Secret World comes out it will get the bulk of my time.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 11:47AM Fuzzz said

GW, L2, JX3 online, 9D, DCUO, although the games latter of GW, I wouldn't really say committed, been playing them for at the very least a year each, although fairly loosely sometimes ><

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 11:57AM ntellect said

I guess you can consider me an MMO newborn. My first MMO was SWTOR. I stayed with that for a solid month and then felt bored. I knew there had to be better MMOs out there. That's when I got hooked. I was with Everquest II for about a month, before its age started to show. Its a great game, I love the massive amounts content, but the combat began to show its age and I couldnt stick with it. Tried a few others, before I settled on Eden Eternal. Been with this one for a few weeks and love it. Only deterrent would be Guild Wars 2 or Lime Odyssey.

But I guess my biggest problem is I am looking for "the" MMO to call home and get comfortable, and so far they havent made it. So I'm still waiting

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 12:26PM Greymantle said

UO 2 Years
EQ 4 Years
SWG 2 Years
WOW 7 Years
COH 6 Months
War 1 Month
AOC 1 Month
SWTOR 3 Months
EQ 2 1 Month
LOTRO 3 Months

I'm playing Browser games now no MMO.