Posted: Mar 25th 2012 12:23PM (Unverified) said

One of the things done right in the game is how they don't penalize people for grouping. The more people together, the more Xp you get since you get XO for any kills they do or are done around them. Shame you didn't get to experience more of the game past lvl8. Once you know how the game works you can get to lvl 20 in about 30min to an hour, so it isn't too bad. The threat of losing your character is great in giving you an Eve-like rush in combat.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 12:38PM foofad said

You still kinda sorta missed the boat. The game really, really opens up at level 20 (the cap). Trains are integral to the experience - because all XP is shared it's totally fine to hop into any old train you can find. A decent train will get you to level 20 in half an hour or less. A really good one will get you to 20 in 15 minutes. Trains can actually be pretty epic - every once in a while you'll run into a mega-swarm of enemies and fight for your life to take them all out with your train pals. My favorites are the swarms in the desert areas. It's full of crabs and goblins and stuff. Mostly crabs. Such that whenever my friends and I run into a massive one, we scream "CRAB BATTLE" and try not to get killed by the Confuse-casting dust devils.

Post-20, the game changes from being about leveling to being about loot collection. You're constantly trying to find higher tier upgrades for your gear and having to kill progressively more difficult (in theory) enemies in order to have a chance at drops. This is when it gets to be most fun, because as you get better and better loot, the fear of death and losing it all becomes stronger and stronger. It makes every near death experience an exercise in quick underwear changes. Fortunately there are lots of tricks to keep you alive, like always having a finger over the instant Nexus teleport button for obvious reasons.

Fighting gods in the Godlands is definitely entertaining, and when you do finally get to have a go at Oryx, it's a blast. Everyone in the entire instance gets teleported to his lair and you have to fight your way to him. Usually anywhere from a tenth to a quarter of the entire group that goes in gets killed - you really have to rely on the people around you to see you through to the end, especially the incredibly valuable healers. Death is often met with dramatic cries of "Noooooooooo!" over Ventrilo, but in the end death just means another chance to get into some epic crab battles.

You are right though, the game is best in doses. It's not something you can marathon for five hours.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 5:33PM ShivanSwordsman said

@foofad

The "death forever" mechanic is what turned me off. Sure, you can hit Level 20 in about an hour if you really, really try at it, and it's pretty easy to do so (at least with a wizard). I love unlocking classes too, so it should have been a match made in heaven. However, I just couldn't get past the fact I felt like all my hard work was for nothing. Frankly, it's a stupidly fun game with great partying mechanics... but that's about it, for me. I just can't stay hooked to it for those reasons.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 1:07PM Jeromai said

Different strokes for different folks. I'm one of those who got sucked into ROTMG pretty heavily and can marathon for 4-5 hours. The level/loot cycle is quick and Diablo-like in terms of addictive reward hits, the mechanics are basically an arcade ship shooter/bullet hell transplanted into the MMORPG genre.

And it's an atypical MMO which doesn't follow standard MMO tropes - which is one of my favorite things, to see how open the possibility space is. XP is shared, so no staring at a group wondering "is it rude to jump in?" Seriously, just jump in. If they don't want you around, they will wander off to solo, or teleport off. Enjoy the natural group formation of the sort MMOs will public quests dabble with.

Permadeath is treated in a rogue-like fashion. Yes, it hurts a bit when your character with nice loot and hours of attention lavished on it dies, it's nice to have them and their history recorded in a hall of fame for dead characters, but ultimately, they are all throwaways, the account and the continuance of characters and the knowledge/skill built up from the many many deaths is what counts. Getting to level 20 gets shorter and shorter the more times you play and know what to do (and have equipment stocked up.)

The typical MMO part comes in with the achievement and good loot drops, which are on a 1-3% drop sort of lottery, and you sit there grinding happily for incremental progress (until the grind becomes boring grind, then you stop.)

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 1:11PM Nucleon said

Lol that game looks silly, fast paced and entertaining. I would never have tried it before, but after reading the preview and watching the twitch I will absolutely open it up one Saturday when the GF is away and I have nothing to do but burn some adrenaline.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 1:54PM Sorithal said

RotMG is good for when you're bored and want something quick to bring up and play. It's a bit mindless, yet at the same time it's very deep and fast-paced. Also, death is good in a way because through leveling up different classes you unlock new classes, and then you can find one you enjoy playing and just stick to that one.

Though I do agree that it's only really fun in small doses.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 2:19PM Fakeassname said

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how more advanced classes are unlocked by leveling up combinations of basic classes.

getting lvl 5 with the wizard unlocks the priest class, then getting lvl 5 with the priest unlocks the Archer, and getting level 5 with the archer unlocks the rogue.

etcetera, etcetera ...

higher grade classes are unlocked by combinations of other classes, like how the assassin requires you to have reached lvl 20 with both the Wizard and the Rouge.

and while death may wipe out the current character, your class unlocks and what level you have reached with each respective class persist (kinda like achevos in the case of class unlocks and high scores in the case of the max level you have gotten).

here's a guide if my ramblings aren't clear enough.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 4:08PM VirindiUO said

• 1 heart
"Twitch-hooked kiddes" and "Under 25 means you're not arcade professional like me"

Reads like some bitter old man wrote this.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 4:13PM Beau Hindman said

It would help if you actually quoted something I said.

Beau

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 4:29PM Fakeassname said

• 1 heart
@Beau Hindman

lol, wow!

that's just .... wow.

skimming isn't even that hard, how is it even possible to fail at skimming?

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 4:49PM Beau Hindman said

@Fakeassname You're right, he skimmed my article. He quoted me saying something that was taken completely out of context. I said I was wrong in my impression that it was twitch kids. The quote is in the article.

He's also quoted me saying "arcade professional" when what I actually said was that literally most people under 25 have not played Galaga in an arcade as in a video arcade. They really don't exist much anymore.

It's unfortunate that he didn't seem to read the rest of my column, I actually liked the game quite a bit.

Beau

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 7:40PM Shirvington said

@Beau Getting to 20 takes about 30 mins, so it isn't too terrible to lose a lvl 20 char. I have seen groups form up "trains" that follow the road around the map and kill anything that gets in the way. Since everyone in the vicinity gets the full amount of experience per kill, it's a practical and safe way to accumulate exp.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 4:03AM Wisdomandlore said

Tips on finding a train: zoom the map all the way out and look for a long mass of yellow dots moving at high-speed around the map. This is a train. RotMG allows you to instantly teleport to any player on the map. Just click on one of the dots towards the front of that train and start shooting.

The large group of players towards the middle of the map are the higher-level players in the god lands. Stay away if you don't want to get one-shotted by something random.