Posted: Mar 24th 2012 12:22PM Bhagpuss said

Any reason why customized names couldn't display only on the client where the change was made? Say I could edit my friends list, guild roster or group window, replace" Legolaz" with "Jim" and have that change visible only only by me. That doesn't open an exploits or customer service issues, does it?

Then even if someone did want to give every character an obscene or libelous name no-one else would ever know about it, but the rest of us could just edit out the few names that break immersion for us and move on.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 12:44PM Diavir said

What game is the header picture from?

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 1:27PM TerilynnS said

@Diavir Star Trek Online - the new Mining daily mission.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 12:47PM (Unverified) said

Where is the title picture from?

For me it would be STO probably. Really like it since I was not able to play it when it required subscription, but I enjoyed beta back then.

Certain RP policies are required but of course it should not be too strict. Sometimes it might be just a misunderstanding. Anyway in my humble opinion RP servers are more like a beacon for interested people and thus it is easier to find/form community/group of same-minded ones and just play with them ignoring odd things around.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 1:28PM TerilynnS said

@(Unverified) The you'll be glad to know the shot is from STO - the new mining daily mission. :)

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 12:55PM peyo01 said

I can't stop playing SWTOR so, I am playing it this week-end, again.

I am really sorry for your loss Eliot, it is so sad :-( After living with them for years, those kittens almost become members of the family.

As for policing on RP servers, I am against it: please "don't feed the RP fundamentalists".
Naming is a no issue for me: some names are really funny and enjoyable even if not RP, the others I don't even notice.
The only case deserving policing (or I would say GM intervention) is RP player harassment situations, but it should be dealt with even on a non RP server, just as any player harassment situation.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 1:16PM yeppers said

@Brendan

Actually... I think a lot of RPers would like to be an average Joe the Plumber or Bob the Blacksmith. Not everyone wants to be king.

A lot of the best epic novels (LotR or WoT series) where RPers draw a lot of their character's background from have characters who are average people given the opportunity to become great or remain average. Not every character is the Dragon Reborn or the ringbearer.

If the game allows it, they can become great and king/god-like or remain an average auction house loiterer/crafter.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 1:28PM Diavir said

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 1:30PM Grimjakk said

"Back in the day", DAOC's RP servers were the most popular and populated servers in the game.

The rules were simple. Period names appropriate to the Realm and no unreasonable out of character chat in the "in character" public channels (/say, /shout, /realm, etc). There were plenty of "out of character" channels available to just chat or talk about game mechanics.

The rules were shown (mostly by the complaints by people whose names had been changed) to be enforced, which resulted in the self-selection of more mature-minded players joining the server.

And that was it. It wasn't required that you roleplay. It was just required that you no disrupt other people's roleplay. (In short: don't be a dick.)

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 4:32PM Utakata said

I am currently testing to see whether pink and pig-tailed Elin or pink and pig-tailed Gnomes are better.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 11:58AM (Unverified) said

Eliot, I know from personal experience the tone and feeling of that first paragraph. I'm sorry for your loss and hope 'the suck' passes swiftly.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 7:28PM Graill440 said

Sorry for your loss Eliot, i have two KORATS, love them to death, your post made me choke up a bit. Get better, and get a new little friend when you can, you wont regret it, again sorry to read about your loss.

MMO Week in Review: Are you Elite or Dangerous?

Posted on Dec 21st 2014 8:00PM