Posted: Mar 24th 2012 8:01PM (Unverified) said

I wonder if Skyshrine will be enough to bring anyone back. I've wanted to get back into this game lately but every time I log on the server is almost completely dead, and I play on one of the highest population servers the game has......

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 2:18AM Neiloch said

@(Unverified) which one is that? I log on a medium population one at peak times and find plenty of people. then again I realize trying to play with others at anything other than the level cap is futile.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 4:35AM (Unverified) said

@Neiloch Antonia Bayle. I'm a level 83 dirge, and I can't ever find a group. Being a dirge, my solo ability is piss poor. Because of this, I've all but given up on the game. =/

Well, not just that. The extreme lack of content and their inability to fix itemization issues makes me not want to push through to the level cap like I would in other games. I used to love SOE, but this F2P crap is ruining their games. They put out tons and tons of cash shop content, but nothing to actually do. I didn't think they'd be dumb enough to fall into that trap, but that's what I get for putting any faith into Sony. Every time I do they give me a reason to regret it.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 3:19AM ed511df3 said

@(Unverified) "Being a dirge, my solo ability is piss poor."

I hate to be one of "those" people, but I'm going to be in this instance. You're doing it wrong. I recently leveled a dirge, and had absolutely no trouble whatsoever at those levels while soloing. If you're having trouble surviving, you might consider buying some crafted gear. If you have any alts with void shards, then the shard armor will easily take you through both SF and DoV solo content straight to 90. Also, try to get two weapons that have the same swing timer (though it's harder before 90) as having synchronized weapons will increase your dps in the long run.

Seriously though, soloing in EQ2 has never, ever been easier for any class, let alone dirges.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 12:01AM Spron said

Such a great community. That alone keeps the game on my hard drive. But gameplay, graphics, animations, sound...time has left the game behind. It still uses Shader Model 1.0, for goodness's sake. A dev even tried updating it to Model 3.0 on his own team and abandoned the project after getting no support from management. Ribbitribbit's story sure is inspiring, though, and I loved watching the videos of all those players on the island of Mara setting off fireworks.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 12:02AM Spron said

@Spron

on his own time*

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 2:01AM (Unverified) said

@Spron : shader model, shader schmodel - seems to me that the issues with EQ2's graphics are far more to do with art direction than with technology. The art direction is quite simply ugly, and improving the tech will just lead to more things we have now, like gleaming specular highlights on grassy hills.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 2:25AM Neiloch said

@Spron Unreasonable to compare this to newly released games. WoW was released around the same time and their graphics prowess is WELL below EQ2.

The real problem is that one of the original engine developers hobbled this game before it released. Falsely assuming graphics cards would advance very little while single core processors would grow. Obviously this is not the case.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 3:01PM Daemodand said

I'm seriously considering EQ2 as my next primary MMO. The only downsides I see so far are the engine performs poorly compared to other games and the game is a bit over-engineered. Okay, make that a lot over-engineered. But in the long run, I'll bet that complexity will be a big attention-holder, so it's not all bad.

LOTRO is the other game I'm considering, but EQ2 is looking like the better bargain overall; go Silver and you've got 90 levels of content to play through, then go Gold for a month to situate your top-tier spells. And LOTRO wants $50 for its latest expansion. :S

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story