Posted: Mar 24th 2012 4:10PM jimr9999us said

The LotRO team has been working on mounted combat for a good while. I'm confident it will look and run as well any combat in the game. Not fast but certainly tactical.

Mounted combat will be the first entirely new game system to be released since the cash shop. Given how Turbine re-made LI's, pvmp, and now skirmish soldiers to incorporate shilling for the Store, I shudder to think of the p2p options that will be available to those with disposable incomes.

But hey, I'm poor and bitter. Those with some cash can rest assured the mounted combat system will be Outstanding if only to encourage more shopping :)

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 6:58PM Graill440 said

• Half a heart
More dead content for a dead, static world. Sad stuff.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 7:05PM jslim419 said

@Graill440 say's the poster that hasn't had a single non-negative thing to say in any of his previous posts. In the Latin language his classification is Trollius Maximus.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 7:15PM jimr9999us said

@Graill440

I make it a rule not to reply to trolls. Congrats Gr for providing such a hollow, shrill, and opinionless take on a rich and vibrant game world I had to put my beer down.

You're special. Like Mussolinni special. Good luck in your lonely journey through a life marked only by the times you smirk at the reactions of the people you upset.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 7:01PM jslim419 said

personally i have a feeling that although mounted combat will be brilliant the first few times you do it... it will become bothersome every time you have to do it after the luster wears off.

that is unless they expand it to other parts of the game instead of one specialized zone where it can only take place.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 7:15PM NeverDeath said

While not the biggest fan of the LotR IP (It's good and I like it, but I'm not in love with it), if it weren't for the terrible character models and stiff animations, I might have played this game. I just couldn't get past how ugly everything to do with my character looked. Still, I suppose it's akin to SWTOR in that regard - the fans of the IP will probably love the game even with its flaws, while general gamers will find little beyond what's pertinent to the IP and will be less willing to forgive such blunders.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 7:27PM Theodorus said

@NeverDeath

Agree 100% (see my comment below). I play the game, but I'd be happier with some spiffy new character art and animations ... Breeland would feel fresh and new again, so who needs more content?

Several of the Asian f2p's have better character art than LotRO...

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 4:49AM Lenn said

@NeverDeath It's such a shame people cannot see past the character models (which aren't all *that* bad - not the best, but certainly not the worst either). If only they would, they'd find a rich game in a humongous and detailed game world.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 9:51PM kickman77 said

@Lenn

I agree, it is sad when people can not see past the graphics and enjoy a rich and awesome gameworld and story. Sad days for gaming when all that matters is how good it looks.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 10:19PM NeverDeath said

@kickman77

Sounds like an exaggeration and distortion of what was said. I never said that all that matters is how good a game looks - I still play some games that are 10+ years old and some which are 2D (and not newer games which are retro-2D), because the gameplay is so great. But in an RPG, a lot of people have a hard time forming a connection with their character when it looks disproportionate and moves like Johnny-5 from Short Circuit. I think it's sad when people can't look past their love for the IP and make criticisms of things which are subpar because they're so dazzled by a different, irrelevant feature.

If you can draw a rational line from the subject of story and richness to animation and character models, then perhaps something will remain beyond a hollow assumption.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 7:22PM Theodorus said

Just one vote, but I'm not interested in the concept of it. Partly that's because of my main character. Dwarven Runekeeper + Destrier = ... what exactly? So I'm not sure how that works...

Beyond that, I don't love the idea of patching stuff onto an existing game. Rarely ever comes out well in practice.

I'd be thrilled if Turbine would work on upgrading the character art in the existing game.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 7:33PM Aarmic said

It's best not to set your expectations too high when it comes to Turbine. They usually sugarcoat the heck out of something before they release it, and when they do, it's usually well below what they "described" it to be.

I wouldn't hold my breath or even speculate about it. If you do, you probably end up pretty dissatisfied when, and if, they finally release it.

One thing you can do, though, is expect the store to be heavily involved somehow.

I just hope it's not a "required" part of the game, much like other aspects (skirmishes, mainly) have become.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 1:05AM OutThere said

The mounted combat system will be a cross between LIs and skirmish soldiers. The grind to upgrade will be intense and conflict with other gearing needs. The ultimate upgrades for the War-Steed will be gated behind 6- and 12-man instances. Gear and upgrades related to the War-Steed will be in rare drops from Lock-boxes. There will be a number of Store-related items for convenience, including appearance and experience enhancements. One class, probably hunters, will be broken by something mounted combat related but won't be fixed for four to six months.

If I'm wrong about any of this, I'll give you a cookie.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 2:18AM The Moonshadow said

Trampling someone to bloody pulp wouldn't earn LotRO an AO rating, however a nip slip would.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 10:04AM DancingTaco said

This will not make or break the game per say, but if done wrong it will be another failure in a string of failures since F2P that will probably do more harm than good. The early leaked info has not been encouraging and I feel that the store will play too heavily in this new feature as does every new feature released recently.

Posted: Mar 25th 2012 11:04AM Deliverator said

It's Turbine, so 50% of the development went into the actual system and 50% went into how to send players to the cash shop. You'll probably have to buy water or food for your horse from the cash shop - excuse me, I mean you'll have the option to either grind for 2 weeks or buy your food and water from the cash shop. Sub or no sub.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 7:13AM (Unverified) said

"I'm both excited and nervous about the mounted combat system coming in Riders of Rohan." I'm sorry WHA? passes out from excitement

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 11:49AM (Unverified) said

One cant help but think of all the store tie-ins here. Anything that can be leveled or upgraded can also be bought, and Im sure Turbine is leaning heavily on store bought short cuts and leveling aids. Its no secret they have lost sight of the customer and are now focused on dollars.

Posted: Mar 28th 2012 6:51PM (Unverified) said

I haven't so much as looked at LOTRO since WAR pulled me away from it back in ... err... whatever long off year that was. Right before MoM. But I'll be damned if the prospect of finally having mounted combat hasn't made me roll a captain and start practicing my "For Rohan!" warcry.