Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 1:27PM wilus84 said

There are no comments yet. :(.
So I have to agree that they should implement a animation to getting in and out of a vehicle and not instant action. Because if this is a MMO everything should be realistic in war situation, how unfair is it gonna be while shooting a guy he's almost dead and boom he instantly goes inside a vehicle. Now he drives off heals up and comes back well that was worthless. Where as he jumps into the vehicle and the animation kicks in and boom you killed him he falls dead to the ground.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 1:45PM (Unverified) said

I also thought the vehicular animations added a sense of depth to the game. It was especially great for the BFRs, because nothing was more swell than watching a giant robot hunker to one knee so you could climb in.

That being said, I don't think you could kill a player entering a vehicle (without, y'know, blowing up the vehicle), so the animation didn't factor in to dipping out of a firefight. But again, it's been at least 6 years since I've set foot on Auraxis, so I could be remembering incorrectly.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 2:50PM MrSquiggles said

@wilus84

In Planetside, when you started the animation to enter a vehicle, didn't you become invulnerable anyway? Or am I remebering that very very badly?

Posted: Mar 29th 2012 4:05PM (Unverified) said

@MrSquiggles

The player, maybe, but the vehicle sure as hell wasn't. If that thing exploded mid mount, you'd die with it.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 1:57PM Pingles said

This is one of those games that has the potential of being my sole game for years.

Because of that I am completely holding back any judgement until I get in-game and decide whether or not it's FUN.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 2:08PM Raymac said

While the animations were very cool, I don't buy the "immersion" argument. It literally took you out of first person view which is a much bigger break in immersion. That's why 1st person shooters are FAR more immersive than 3rd person.
As for the "point", it's near impossible to have a total win condition and still have a persistant world. It's one or the other. I personally would much rather have full persistance with smaller more frequent "wins" (like territory and base captures) than have an arbitrary reset or some contrived mechanic for total victory.
That's just my 2 cents. Great article as always, Jef.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 5:37PM Jef Reahard said

@Raymac

That's a good point on the third person. I guess the novelty of the mechanic made me gloss over that fact. Now that I think about it I'd rather it have been first person animations (like your hand grabbing the door handle or some such), but I'd still like some kind of animation regardless, hehe.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 2:26PM mysecretid said

• Half a heart
The fact that Planetside 2 looks to be simply an SF-flavored, high-quality shooter built on a grand scale is precisely why I expect I'll never play it.

I own an XBox 360; I own a very good computer -- If I want a massively-populated online shooter game, I have dozens of good choices available to me already, with the promise of more arriving every year.

Jef's requests for context, aren't simply the fluff yearings of Mr. Sandbox, as he seems to fear. He's latched onto a bigger issue here.

If Planetside 2 is going to be seen as more than "yet another online shooter game", it needs elements which set it apart from the pack.

I have no doubt that Planetside 2 will most-likely arrive well-made and entertaining -- but if it hopes to do more than offer a familiar playstyle to a familiar segment of gamers, it needs to go beyond the tried-and-true.

It needs to incorporate elements which give gamers who don't automatically love it because it's Planetside, or because it's an online shooter, a reason to look more closely..

My opinion, anyway.

(And Jef, I'm sorry, but comparing yourself to Malcolm Reynolds verges on blasphemy. If you're not Nathan Fillion, you're just making it awkward for everyone :-) )

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 2:31PM Raymac said

@mysecretid What "doznes of chioces" are you talking about? What other shooter has as many players fighting at once (thousands) with combined arms of infantry, vehicles, and aircraft? I think that makes Planetside pretty unique, no?

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 3:09PM mysecretid said

• 1 heart
@Raymac

Unique in scale, certainly.

I'm not knocking Planetside 2, or saying it's bad, I'm saying that if it's essentially the same as all the other quality multiplayer online shooters I have available to me now -- merely bigger -- that's not enough of a difference to make it compelling to those who don't already love Planetside or that gamestyle.

Jef was worrying that Planetside 2 would lack /gameplay/ elements which would make it stand apart, and stand out.

I was offering myself as an example of a gamer who would only be interested in Planetside 2 if it does bring some new gameplay elements to the table.

Yes, the grand scale of Planetside 2 is cool, but a bigger cheese pizza is still a cheese pizza, no matter how delicious it may be to cheese pizza fans.

I'm wondering if we can get some new toppings going on. :-)

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 3:24PM Raymac said

@mysecretid I see what you are saying, and I don't know if you played the original Planetside or not, but the bigger scale and persistance offers far more gameplay-wise than simply being a bigger cheese pizza. It's hard to really describe in words just what that scale and persistance add to the feel and layers of depth of every minor thing you do in the game.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 3:26PM Jef Reahard said

@mysecretid

Hence the "maybe not," lol.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 4:56PM Superman0X said

@mysecretid

Planetside is to MO FPS what Wacraft is to MO RPG's (Neverwinter Nights, etc). By taking the game to the next scale, it changes the game from Multiplayer Online, to Massive Multiplayer Online. This is just as much a defining feature as online play is to most console FPS.

I do agree that there need to be larger concerns for the meta game, and for the lasting power of the game. Planetside (1) failed to catch on due to the fact that it didn't provide enough reason for players to keep coming back, day after day. Sure it was a great game... but the game was not sticky enough.

That was ~10 years ago. A lot has changed since then, and we know how to do better. Heck, look at Zynga, they make games that are very sticky, even if not overly fun. We should be able to find something in the middle of the road that works well for the larger masses.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 7:00PM (Unverified) said

When I finally got around to playing planetside for the first time last year, I was surprised by the vehicle animations and thought they were great. I can live without them though.

I will say that I burned out on planetside after about 2 months, because it did feel entirely futile - spend 8 hours capturing a planet, log out to sleep, come back 12 hours later to find the whole universe belongs to a different faction. What was I fighting for? Meh, I'll go back to playing swg again.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 7:00PM (Unverified) said

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 7:03PM Tatwi said

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 7:05PM Tatwi said

Whoah... Posting from my Blackberry on the Rogers network sometimes does strange things! Sorry about the dupes.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 8:16PM Darkmoone said

If this game doesn't have a proper Hip Hop dance emote I'm not playing either.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 11:47AM Vancha said

Boarding animations: Aye, it's a step backwards. Apparently it was a shock to the devs that anyone still wanted them, let alone saw them as a glaring omission from the game. I expect I've argued the point with Raymac before, but it did add immersion...Yes, you got switched to third-person, but that's still a lot more immersive than vanishing into thin-air. People also seem to talk about seeing others get into vehicles instead of themselves. It's very atmospheric to see people getting in and out of their vehicles before the war party rolls off to another base.

"The point": Ignore the featherers, it *is* an issue. The battle should never "end", but there does need to be a greater meaning attached to battles. One of the more popular ideas is tying in some more of the story of Planetside...Letting the events and winners of battles in-game dictate the direction of the storyline. Having campaigns and goals based on lore etc.

Of course, immersion would help there too. If you feel more like you're there, if you feel more like you've fought for an army instead of played for a fictional empire, it's going to matter more to you.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 11:25PM dkyzar said

I have to say that the animations were something that I will miss. Maybe a easy compromise in the interim (hope they will bring them back in the future) would be a fade out/fade in with sounds of you getting in and out of the seat. This would only be viable if the devs considered the delay a strategic element the same way Jef does.

As for the 'what are we fighting for', maybe take a page from GW 2 and have the battles go on for a predetermined time (GW2 is 2 weeks) and there is a winner at the end. The winning faction could get whatever is used to buy in game items as a reward. Then it starts over. Higby has said that he thinks stuff like the individual missions and having the battle interrupted by a 4th AI faction that we all have to fight back should break the monotony and we'll have to see.

Make My MMO: November 16 - 22, 2014