Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 8:20PM Graill440 said

Very good Article Mr H.

On the CS note, it is so important in an MMO, and yet one of the least supported aspects because it is so labor intensive and totally ruins profits for a company. One of my biggest gripes.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 8:21PM Yog said

I've been trying to tell people for years that complex does not mean hardcore. If your game is so poorly designed that the player is fighting the red tape the game has more than monsters or other players than you've designed a crappy game, not a hardcore one.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 8:40PM Rheem said

My problem for these kinds of games is the reliance on making things take forever so they can sell you stuff to speed it up.

Why can't we have a game that has the speed of a more traditional rts or even something along the like of Civilization would be an improvement. something you can sit down for 20 minutes to an hour and play a game and walk away satisfied instead of spending two minutes clicking on the necxt thing to do and then come back in 8 hours to maintain things. Thats not fun for me. The last thing I want is more commitment and the feeling like I HAVE to play a game.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 10:27PM Mikx said

"I will guarantee that the player who leaves the most passionate complaints about the genre has played maybe a handful of titles. I will guarantee it."

On that note, I waded back into the genre after your recent column, ( http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/09/the-soapbox-my-mmorts-is-more-mmo-than-your-mmorpg/ ) and tried 3 of the titles, Golden age, Illyriad, and 8Realms. I also figured out I'm a graphics whore and so I stuck with 8Realms. But with the exception of Golden Age and its strange player avatar cities, I've never felt so alone in an MMO. Even on a barren server, I can come across another player and find a flash of excitement. It is strange, except for a virtually unused trade relationship I have with a neighbor, I haven't interacted with another player.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 10:45PM Kalex716 said

Can't wait to hear about you trying Shattered Galaxy!

Brilliant MMORTS

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 2:09AM SnarlingWolf said

@Kalex716

That was the only one to ever do a pretty good job at it. I used to spend so much time in SG. I really wish someone would take the design of SG, take it up a couple of notches and toss in some good graphics.

The battles were fun in SG. Leveling up you units and buying upgrades was also fun. Running around with super powerful trade mark infriging jedi like guys was fun. Using cloaked artillery to drive the enemy absolutely insane was fun. Nukes were fun. Truly there was just so much fun.

My problem was how small the player base got, especially once you subbed up to get to the later levels.

Someone make a game very much like SG and you have a winner. Now I might go redownload that game just to remember how fun it was.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 10:46PM (Unverified) said

Lol, Ministry of War! Well there's your problem, $nail Games. A perfect example of how a bad company can ruin even the best games. Their game forums are censored in true communist fashion, and their customers are of no value beyond they income they bring in.

Luckily I found that out playing Heroes of Gaia, so I was able to save myself the headache of dealing with them for Minstry.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 12:21AM AltarofScience said

If you want to play a real MMORTS where what you do matters, play Warring Factions. Barely anyone plays anymore because the dev shifted over to webcam sites cause he needed to make a living, and research is kinda complex. But colonizing is really fun and there are actual fights where systems change hands. Its almost like a 1 year round length text version of EvE. Its the only browserbased mmorts I would ever play. Currently on my 10th permaban though :')