Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 8:34PM (Unverified) said

@SgtBaker1234556
Everything you mentioned does NOTHING to advance the storyline. Sorry, but that isn't what the players want. The game stagnated then begun declining when the story was removed.

And Cataclysm was supposed to be the expansion which highlighted the Alliance/Horde conflict. It didn't happen. And after the retcons in Cata, especially the Dragon Soul retcon, I doubt many Warcraft fans will be willing to give them a blind chance and buy MoP at the start.

All in all MoP has less going for it entering the expansion than Wrath or Cataclysm did as far as promised features went and neither expansion grew WoW. Not seeing how MoP will do what only BC has done and be an expansion that grows the brand.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 9:08PM tenfootgoatman said

@SgtBaker1234556 Aside from the things you mention . The whole setting doesn't sit well with me in a western medievil fantasy setting . Its whole concept seems out of place and just wrong to me . It does feel like Blizzard are targeting a younger player demographic with this expansion as well . Everything about MOP just prove my fears as to where Blizzard intend take WoW in the cominig years but if you enjoy it still thats cool . Its just not for me .

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 2:29AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@tenfootgoatman

Well I can partly agree with that - except I don't think they're after younger audience necessarily, but "a different" audience. And by different, I mean chinese/eastern.

The setting itself doesn't really do much for me either, I'm not very much into eastern themes - but aside that, I'm quite excited about the content.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 2:40AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@(Unverified)

I doubt the majority of the playerbase knows enough about Warcraft story to care/follow the lack of "hardcore lore" in WoW. There's a very small part of the playerbase who are passionate about it.

For most it's enough that the game tells a story - the fact that it not might be the detailed Warcraft story doesn't bother them.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 6:49PM xero13 said

• 1 heart
I don't like bashing MMOs cuz there are obviously people who still love this game and that's great for them. I'm however an old player that still remembers when people with epic gear truly were epic. now any 10yo with ADD can be decked out with end game epics.
That is great for them but bad for the orig players that gave wow the numbers they needed to become big. its like slap in the face to us who actually played a real game and did amazing things to warrant having good gear.
And sadly its like that in all the games Iv'e played that have come out or expanded since Wrath.
I have high hopes for The Secret World but sadly I think the gaming industry has forsaken hardcore players.
There's nothing out there that's truly deep and rewarding. Nothing for people who would rather walk for 5 hours to the next quest hub than hop on a bird and be there in 10 seconds.
Maybe I'm just getting old and need to retire from games... :(

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 7:20PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@xero13

Excuse me good sir, but your comment reads like you're 13. I'm not at all convinced you're "old" like you seem to claim.

The fact that all players can experience the full game content seems to somehow be wrong in your books. As an old player you should surely appreciate this, because it allows you to explore the game without having to sit through the nights grinding like all the "10yo with ADD" do, it will allow you to enjoy the game and even have a life outside it.

You might also also remember that only %1 of the playerbase ever saw Sunwell back in the TBC. That's not very many at all. in fact I'm highly doubting you were one of those players.

As to playing "real game" and doing "amazing things" - it's a game - entertainment. It's supposed to be fun. You're making it sound like your epics somehow were the miracle of childbirth.

For truly deep and rewarding things you might want to search for interests outside the "Entertainment"-field. There are plenty of things - try volunteering for UNICEF work in Africa for example. Truly deep and rewarding.

Then come back and enjoy your the fun, entertainment of a videogame.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 7:26PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@SgtBaker1234556

..or you know, go play EVE endgame for a while.
It's a game where actions have consequences.
It's also pretty harsh - where epic things are still pretty epic (I still remember my first Titan).

So there's still plenty of "depth variation" even within videogames - but complaining about the "epics" is the stupidest argument I've heard in a long while.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 9:11PM MassiveGG said

• 1 heart
this is probably the worst news I've heard all day. wow became to easy and it'll continue to lose people because of the challenge is basically gone from the game casual is basically written all over the game now the game had its time its just milking the peoples money now. its time to move on to something new and refreshing if anything wow is holding mmo's back because its so large shrinking slowly but its large still to hold back new games for the mmo market. ff14 was done really poorly its onfault it failed. Tortanic failed before it got out of the gates and most likely go free to play soon. rift did ok for a time but unbalanced pvp for me did me in. from what i've been playing in the beta in tera the graphics can run
great combat is nice change has a lot of content being that it was released in korean year earlyer almost. along with guild wars2 played guild wars1 and its stuff loved it what im looking forward to is the combat and lore and what not.

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 1:26AM Cyroselle said

@MassiveGG DW:TOR is an EA property, so it's really not likely to go F2P anytime soon, regardless of how well they are doing financially.

For reference, take a gander at Warhammer Age of Reckoning.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 9:39PM eLdritchZ said

well tbh it's not really too difficult to "know what we are going to do for several expansions ahead..." if you always do exactly the same damn thing....

5/10 levels, a few new dungeons, 1-3 raids, new crafting profession, either new race or new hero class, multiply all the numbers in the game with a few digits, screw up the talent system some more... why change the formula if it works, right? :P

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 6:05AM SgtBaker1234556 said

@eLdritchZ

I'm not sure you understand iterative developement.
But how about this: How many MMOs change the game engine radically in post-launch patches?

That's right, there are not many "we did a total re-write of the game engine between release anf patch 1.1" out there.

Patches and expansions evolve the core game, but to expect them to change the formula radically isn't going to happen - in any software project.

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 11:45PM (Unverified) said

To those complaining, not sure if you realized it but MMOs keep evolving through expansions. Expect lots more from Blizzard whether you agree or not. MMOs need content.

Posted: Mar 27th 2012 1:37PM pskfry said

PRO TIP: massively readers hate wow. don't bother reading the comments. the game is still a lot of fun and i've been playing since Vanilla. and i will continue to play. trust me when i say this, though i've played other games on the horizon (multiple betas, some of which i can't talk about) wow will be staying on top for the foreseeable future.