Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:21AM (Unverified) said

@Traptz
Simple, some games aren't on the PC and for good reason
PS3:

360:
Forza 2 and after
Gears of War 2 and after
Halo 3 and after
Lost Odyssey
Tales
Probably missing a lot more

Wii:
Epic Mickey
Fire Emblem
The Last Story
Legend of Zelda series
Mario FRANCHISE
Metroid series
Monster Hunter series
Xenoblade

And a ton more that are shared by all 3
Piracy is taking its toll my friend, developers aren't just making games for Pc's alone. Only edge PC's have are modding, better graphics, better controls, and mmos; the exclusives are terrible, save for a few which end up being ported to consoles anyways (The Witcher 2!). So no I think I'd purchase a console instead and p***** the good games for PC

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:55AM personmcpersonperson said

@Traptz
Buying a console that's seven years old for one game doesn't make sense, but this article is clearly addressing people who have been making money for more than seven years.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:57AM Deliverator said

@(Unverified)
"Only edge PC's have are modding, better graphics, better controls, and mmos"

I think you just defeated yourself in a debate

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 12:10PM (Unverified) said

@Deliverator
I think you ignored the bulk of my post, TONS of games are NOT on the PC but are on console. PC is not better than consoles, consoles are not better than PC, they both have their strengths and weaknesses and to come in here and say "PC gaming is the be all and end all" is retarded
Aside from The Sims, a lot of the best selling franchises in video games are console games

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 12:51PM Deliverator said

@(Unverified)
System exclusive titles are an artificial construct - there is no reason to make a game system exclusive except to force people to buy a certain console.

So, talking about what games are exclusive for which system doesn't count in a debate about what system is superior. Follow me?

PCs - better graphics, better control, modding, upgrading, highly customizable and all of your console controllers will work on a PC - so yes, PCs are superior.

Consoles are just little PCs that are gimped in reality.

A game being exclusive for a certain console doesn't make that console any better, it just makes the publisher a dick.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 12:59PM Deliverator said

@Deliverator

oh and then there's the fact that having the PSN go down doesn't turn my PC is to a half functional brick

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 1:06PM Traptz said

@(Unverified)
So we've discussed how the PC is superior to console in every way except cost(debatable, I can build a $500 tower that will play games better and look better than consoles).
The only other advantage a console has is it's mobility or ease of setup. Plug and play essentially.
But if you aren't a lazy ass then you could LEARN how to build a PC and fix it yourself and upgrade it and hell, even make it a career like me.
I built my first PC when I was 13, I learned from my older brother and now I repair PC's for a living and build them on the side for friends and customers alike.
Now about your little "Simple, some games aren't on the PC and for good reason" comment. Might I add that you're comment is not only retarded but you have absolutely no grounds to back it up. Why are those games better on consoles? Because a console has a controller? Guess what pumpkin, any controller a console can use a PC can use as well. EVEN MOTION CONTROLS. Just give up, you're never going to win this debate.
@Maseno
All I use my PS3 for is Netflix and the random Blu-Ray that I might buy or rent...hell with Netflix I don't even buy or rent DVD/Blu-Rays anymore.
That is the only reason I bought my PS3 back when they first came out, because they were cheaper than an actual Blu-Ray player...but not anymore.
I have a $70 Blu-Ray BURNER/Player in my PC and a $150 Blu-Ray player on my home audio system..dunno where you were going with this..it's not 2006 anymore man..

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 1:24PM Deliverator said

@Traptz
lol @ guess what pumpkin

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 3:52PM (Unverified) said

@Traptz
You and Deliverator can attack me all you want to justify your reasoning. But the fact remains I don't, and many others, don't CARE if you can mod out the games or if the graphics are better (with the proper graphics card) What we see on the consoles are good enough

I wanna play Metal Gear Solid, can't on PC. I wanna play Resident Evil 6, can't on PC, I wanna play Final Fantasy, can't on PC, I wanna play Mario Party, can't on PC, I wanna play The Last of Us, can't on PC. The list goes on and on

I play video games to PLAY GAMES, not see what type of mods I can come up with. Stop bringing up "Oh I can upgrade computer and have mods and great customization", the point was made "Why buy a console over PC" and I answered that question, EXCLUSIVITY!
So please stop, I never stated consoles were superior, but developers make a lot more games for them as opposed to the PC. Guess what Pumpkin, not everyone has a medium to high end computer to run the PC games at max! Why would a developer take the risk of making a game a portion of their market might not be even to play if they can make it for the 3 consoles and cash in? $$$$ is what matters here

But go on arguing with me

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 4:50PM Deliverator said

@(Unverified)
I apologize for making you feel attacked. I can do better

The thing that I'm trying to point out is that they're all computers. The Wii, Xbox, PS3 and PC - all computers. They have CPUs, RAM, Hard drives, Network cards, GPUs (video cards).

PC hardware is superior in that the components are all faster/ better/ more. It's not always that way - sometimes for a month or two when a console first comes out, it'll be faster than what's out there in PC land, but it only takes about a year for even Best Buy's loss leaders to have more horsepower.

Consoles are PCs with operating systems controlled by the console manufacturer. Really - that's the only difference.

There isn't a game out, and couldn't be a game out, for the current generation of consoles that wouldn't run better on my PC. The only reason I can't run them is an artificial reason. It's a business reason - they can't make me buy inferior hardware to what I've already got unless they release a game and then make it so it won't run on my hardware/ under Windows.

I realize there are some architecture differences, especially with the PS3. The cell processor advantage lasted about 6 months before the PC industry caught up by just throwing horsepower at it.

All games are made the same way. They're developed and tested on PCs and then tweaked for and tested on the intended console. The process of "producing" them for a specific platform is separate. In general, there is no un-due hardship involved putting a game out for everything. Except for not getting the payoff from Sony/Nintendo/MS for making the game "an exclusive"

In conclusion, your console is a PC with features actively blocked and removed by the company who controls your operating system, It's not shitty or bad, but it is not equal - it's the same, but less.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:07AM Maseno said

I have said it before and will say it again, the main problem Dust514 is going to face is that absolutely no one I talk to that owns a PS3 knows wtf Dust OR Eve Online is. They are making a huge mistake by having this a PS3 exclusive and not putting it out on PC.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:31AM JadoCast said

I bought an Xbox primarily because of Halo. I will never buy a console again however, as I play almost all games on PC now, and will not go back for a console exclusive. I am upgrading my computer for GW2, which is the first time I've upgraded for a specific PC game.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:34AM madcartoonist said

i would say that is the point of exclusive games. each console tries to have some great game that the only way you can ever play it is to get their system.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:49AM ed anger said

bought a Dreamcast and dual analog sticks for Virtual On

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:52AM personmcpersonperson said

I bought a PS2 for GTA3 and a PS3 for GTA4, the PS3 was a better deal but both were worth it plus I used them for many more games.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:54AM EilertAlemat said

I did. And yes, for Dust 514.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:59AM Khal said

I have in the past 13 years of my computer gaming two or three times bought a new system for a game. Most times my specs are more than capable of handling game software as I try to keep my system relative to the times.

That said, I don't think I would, in this modern day, buy/build a new system for a specific game. Developers, specifically of MMOs, haven't enticed me enough by building the type of MMO I'd like to play to do so.

Oh, and I most certainly wouldn't buy a Sony product. Haven't for 7 years and we've managed well.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 12:20PM Sickness said

Never would have bought my original Playstation (or the 2 and 3) if it weren't for Gran Turismo.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 12:48PM Ninevah said

I've avoided consoles like the plague. They just always seemed like one of those things that should just be for kids. But I'm sooo tempted to for DUST.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 12:57PM (Unverified) said

This is sort of embarrassing, but I wanted to play EQ2 smoothly on pretty high settings, and I went through three graphics cards, three motherboards and four CPU's before I got it where I wanted it. Started out with an overclocked Athlon XP and ended up with an overclocked Core 2 Duo. Went from an nVidia 5800 Ultra (big mistake) to a 6800 Ultra to an 8800 GTX. Worst-optimized graphics engine EVER!!

Betawatch: November 22 - 28, 2014