Posted: Mar 21st 2012 3:14PM (Unverified) said

Loved my time in DAoC but screen dragging cheaters was a huge problem so I left.

Nothing quite like having an enemy lag out on purpose to escape or initiate fight.

Windowed mode and clicking the window and dragging it while holding the movement key towards the enemy or away would disappear and pop up when you let go.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 3:39PM Quidveritas said

It must be very lonely being the only low level character. The game has been out so long and the remaining population is so small that I expect the only people left are long-time veterans at max level.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 4:54PM Nilssen255 said

@Quidveritas This is wrong. There's people around at all levels at all hours these days. Getting to 50 through BG's XP quests from 10 will take about 2-3 days of playing, casually, and you'll be netting some RP's while doing it.

How do I know this? I just returned myself, deleted all characters from before and started fresh. Tried Albion and Hibernia so far, people all over I tellya.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 3:45PM Nilssen255 said

The UI is very dated, which is why I've completely customized mine with the use of Bob's UI.

The game mechanics and combat controls will eventually become a lot easier to master. I'd suggest you keybind the stick/face/resetcamera features to easy binds, like E/F/V in my case. That can be done by typing /Keyboard.

If you wish to hotkey stuff on the actionbars you'll have to do /qbind and read the instructions.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 3:47PM J45neoboy said

Is this game F2P?

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 3:51PM Bladerunner83 said

@J45neoboy

No, EA stated that they had no plans to switch to F2P, because the game is sustaining itself with subscriptions.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 4:07PM enamelizer said

Time for the BG for you!

Man this really brings back some memories. I played UO for several years as a Human Skald. Many, many hours spend running 8 mans around in Emain, if you didn't have a Skald, you were a sitting duck.

Unfortunately bashing on keeps got old and 8v8 turned into a radar hack fest, then TOA launched and I didn't have the time to level up my pants, and that was that.

Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane, have fun in the BG, it was some of the most fun I had in the game, twinking low level chars for BG action.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 4:08PM enamelizer said

@enamelizer Gah, I also played UO for many years, but I really meant DAoC above...

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 4:56PM Nilssen255 said

@enamelizer Nearly all the arties levelling speed have been normalized and can be done within hours. Or grinding from 49-50 if you will. Arties and Masterlevels can also be bought with either glass (new ToA currency) or Bounty Points. In other words, both are easy to come by.

Epic sets have also been revamped along with the SI dungeon items.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 5:26PM enamelizer said

@Nilssen255 Thanks for the info, I consider returning all the time. There are just too many MMOs out there and not enough time =)

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 5:02PM dudes said

We're knights of the Round Table, we dance whene'er we're able. We do routines and chorus scenes with footwork impec-cable, We dine well here in Camelot, we eat ham and jam and Spam a lot. / We're knights of the Round Table, our shows are for-mi-dable. But many times we're given rhymes that are quite un-sing-able, We're opera mad in Camelot, we sing from the diaphragm a lot. / In war we're tough and able, Quite in-de-fa-ti-gable. Between our quests we sequin vests and impersonate Clark Gable / It's a busy life in Camelot

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 5:47PM Ehra said

A bit of advice once you start PvPing; casters are completely interrupted by any attack at all, and by interrupted I mean the spell stops completely. There's no such thing as "casting pushback" here. So if you see a caster from far away, even one of your instant damage spells as a Skald will make them stop casting and be unable to try again for a few seconds. Since Skalds have two instant damage spells, you can stagger these to keep a caster chain interrupted while you approach (which isn't difficult since Skalds get the best speed in Midgard). You can even use your instant mez/sleep as a ghetto interrupt in emergencies. Maybe even the snare you get later, can't remember.

Something to watch out for is Quick Cast. It's an ability cloth casters get that lets them get off one un-interruptable spell, I can't remember how often this is usable. If you're in melee pounding on a caster and they start casting a spell through it (or if you think they're using it to cast through your instant interrupts), you can still stop the spell by hitting them with your mez/sleep.

Cloth casters also get bladeturn which makes the first physical attack against them miss, so keep that in mind when getting into melee. There are some abilities that can pierce bladeturn, but nothing that a Skald gets.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 2:56PM akubura said

@Ehra

Listen to this guy! What he says is correct go kill you some hibblets now!

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 5:47PM (Unverified) said

RVR is where the fun is in this game. Gave me some of my best gaming memories ever.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 7:20PM (Unverified) said

Get situated with the PVE and the mechanics of the game. Then next time you can dip into PVP.

Female Troll you say? Very manly looking females they have. :P

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 8:26PM trk2 said

BTW, camera snap back is available in DAoC but it is disabled by default. To enable it, while in-game select "options" under the attributes tab and change "Snapback" from off to slow, medium or fast. While you are there you should also set your figure clip plane to far or else you will get burned in RVR.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 11:47PM Grimjakk said

Yep. The camera system was actually a huge improvement over EQ's at the time. The "drop camera" that Justin accidentally found could be used to check for pursuit or to time ambushes.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 10:04PM (Unverified) said

Still my favorite MMO to this day.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 11:42PM Grimjakk said

I loved it, warts and all. And there were some serious warts. ;) This is the game that broke my obsession with EQ's team PvP, as Mythic just got so many things _right_ here.

One thing you should do is head out to the Shrouded Isles and just listen to the BGM music system for a bit. It's randomly generated and probably saved me from slitting my wrists a few times while watching the green crafting bar creep across the screen...

Atlantis, number-crunched "optimal" spellcrafted gear, and eventually the cross-realming drove me away from the end-game RvR, but I've been back a few times just to enjoy levelling up in the battlegrounds.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 12:58AM sandals said

Best game memories ever, turned me into an MMO fan and I played it for 4 -5 years, but nothing has come close since. The early days up to darkness falls were the highlight.

Part of the backlash for war complete mess was because they failed so miserably to live up to their predecessor, expectations were high.

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014