Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 3:06AM JuliusSeizure said

'A level 5 Damage IO'

Isn't level 10 the lowest level IOs come in?

Anyway, I really recommend anyone trying to figure out their character build should pick up Mids' Hero Designer: http://www.cohplanner.com/

It's not strictly necessary, but it makes things so much easier than trying to plan it out in your head or even with your own spreadsheets.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 9:58AM CitizenH said

@JuliusSeizure

Yes, and if you combine it with the Titan Sentinel, you can export your current character's build right from the game into Mid's in seconds and experiment with slotting and IOs and compare numbers.

It's not just for number crunchers. Even casual players often ask 'what's better, X or Y?'

Well with Mid's they can see exactly which. Plus, for many it's a lot easier having players *see* the effects of things like ED, rather than try to explain it to them.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:21AM (Unverified) said

Here is my casual players guide to the incredibly overcomplicated and ridiculously over expensive IO set sytem of the game that I completely ignore when I play -
Do not buy any enhancements of any kind for your character until level 30. Just group up and do missions with teams. It really doesnt matter at low levels if you have enhancements or not. Do as many AE missions as possible to collect tickets. You will need lots of tickets. A couple thousand for sure.
Then at lvl 30 use the tickets to get random loot bags for common rewards so you get free IO materials and rarely have to buy anything off the auction house. Then craft basic non set IO's that are either lvl 25 or 30. Slot them in so you get to the cap. Like 3 lvl 30's will get you almost to 100% damage cap.
Then voila your done! level up to 50 now. You never have to think about enhancements again!! You can just have fun now and never have to farm crap.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 2:50PM rochrist said

@(Unverified)

It's trivial to make sufficient money to completely outfit yourself with IOs by level 30 without going anywhere near AE or doing any farming.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 5:53PM (Unverified) said

@rochrist
yeah but you need alot of salvage to make the IO's which you will not get just through drops, so you will have to buy it off wentworths/black market and I do everything I can to avoid buying anything off the auction house. Things like alchemical silver can be overpriced at times. But with AE tickets you get free salvage! cant say no to that

Posted: Mar 23rd 2012 4:39PM EricNelson said

@(Unverified)

...or you can just buy them pre-crafted. Problem solved. (And rochrist's assertion about easily affording them by level 30 still applies.)

To Eliot, the commentary about Hamidon raids being "obsolete," I think that really depends on your server. I play exclusively on a moderately-populated server (Victory), and Hami raids still occur weekly; I know the same is true for other servers, both highly-populated and less so.

Also, I think it's a bit ingenuous of you to state that Hami raids are the ONLY way to obtain HOs -- in reality, I believe most players obtain theirs from running the Statesman (soon-to-be-renamed) Task Force and/or the Lord Recluse Strike Force, both of which award Synthetic HOs (which are identical to HOs received from a Hami raid). (Not to mention that they can be purchased on the Auction House or traded from/to other players.)

Posted: Mar 24th 2012 9:30AM (Unverified) said

At level 22, you can first slot level-25 enhancements -- the lowest level at which SOs are commonly available. A level 25 IO provides roughly the same boost to a power as an SO that is one level lower than your character; note that the SO you can slot is three levels _higher_ than your character, so there's a significant gap there -- but the IO never gets worse, the way SOs do as you level. At level 27, you can slot level-30 IOs, which provide about the same boost as an SO that is one level higher than your character, and at level 32, you can slot level-35 IOs, which are slightly better than SOs that are two levels higher than your character.

I've come to follow a fairly consistent practice with my characters; I'll start them with TOs, saving and buying salvage and level-15 IO recipes for when they hit 12, at which point I'll replace all their slotting with level-15 IOs, and use IOs exclusively until they reach 22, at which point I respec the character, saving out the ten IOs that sell for the most on the market, and replace them with SOs, living with the up-and-down performance while buying salvage and recipes until they reach 32, when I do another respec (to get sellback price on the SOs; the market for SOs isn't worth auctioning them for the most part) and replace them with level-35 IOs, after which it's IOs all the way to 50. For the most part, I'll stay with common IOs until 47, at which point I can slot level-50 versions of IO sets, but some individual set IOs -- procs and uniques -- may get slotted at lower levels.