Posted: Mar 20th 2012 9:43PM Crapplebag said

I'm more upset with people using "toon" all the time. Ugh it's awful. It's so very non-rpg sounding. It's a character. Not a carToon.

Anyways, voice chat can be akward but it does help in a group to at least have it on. It does annoy me when it's "required" though. The funny thing is, I think I would actually like it more if people had more personal conversations. If i'm going to have to break immersion I may as well get to know the people i'm playing with.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 10:28PM (Unverified) said

Raiding with my guildmates, I'm cool with voice chat. I don't talk a lot, but happy to have my headphones, listen, and yell out if something goes pear-shaped.

But I have never switched on voice chat with a group of strangers, nor do I ever intend to.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 4:42AM Slurpstwo said

for PVE runs, only the first time, then the dungeon is a boring routine.
for PvP its essential and should not even be a question.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 7:04AM Graill440 said

I love voice chat,It is a needed mechanic in simulations like Arma2, DSC A-10, and a few other titles.

Plus it is great to destroy people in place as long as you have the education and ability, and the reason. Next best thing to being there in person.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 7:56AM Heraclea said

Voice chat is a standard because of broken encounters and raids. The real problem is baroque encounters where you aren't allowed to just go in and play your character and have a chance at winning.

Instead, there are too many different things that must be paid attention to. The only reasonable route is to assign one member of the group to monitor a specific aspect and call out alarms. This usually corresponds to a complicated choreography where everybody must break off what they were doing and go stand *over there*.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 9:03AM (Unverified) said

It takes you out of the game? Last I recall, people in the middle ages didnt text each other constantly. They spoke aloud.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 9:23AM smartstep said

voice chat in dungeons = ok

voice chat "forced" as guild chat , normal chat , etc = AWFUL

I don't join guilds // groups who say = we use only ts / mumble to communicate at all times

Voice chat ONLY and ONLY for a bit of time in instances , for casual chat - text much better

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 10:55AM Praylude said

@smartstep

Or you know, for pvp where it is essential and you would be foolish to try without it.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 12:59PM PoisonFox said

I don't mind it when it is useful like mass PvP battles and such, but I really dislike that if you don't sit there all night in the voice chat server you will have a very hard time getting people to help you get things done that require more than one person because you aren't part of "the clique". Some of us just can't block the whole world out for hours at a time every single day, we have spouses, children, pets etc that want to communicate with us.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 4:05PM Otakuon said

You know, I never get this whole aversion to voice chat or participating with a group in general. I have several members in my guild who will never speak in our voice chat system, but will listen (most of ones who do this are women, so maybe that has something to do with it). It's not like people are going to poke fun of you because of how you talk. If they do, then that is THEIR problem and they will quickly find themselves out of a guild.

There seems to be this ever increasing shift in the typical MMO player to play solo or lone-wolf as much as possible. This defeats the purpose of an MMO. Gone are the days where most content required groups of players to complete it. Now, if a player can't complete a quest on their own, they just skip it or grind solo until they can come back and do it on their own.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 11:53AM ed anger said

OP is obviously not a pvper.

imho you can easily play MMOs without voice chat if you are just leveling/exploring/role playing.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014