Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:35PM Balraw said

Um I have rarely ever spoken using voice chat but not for immersion reasons or anything like that I just don't feel the need to for day to day mmo communication. If others feel differently then good for them and they can enjoy their game how they like and I will do so for myself.

About the only time I am in a voice chat is during raids and even then I will make it clear that I am only listening in for instructions/warnings. If that is not acceptable then tough I will not raid and look elsewhere.

Peer pressure is only an issue if you make it one and if someone wants to make it an issue then I will just walk away ignoring that person. I am not paying (in most cases) to be pressured into anything that I don't feel comfortable with or want no part of, whether that be voice chat or anything else for that matter during what is my leisure time.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:43PM Lenn said

I'm with Eliot on this one. Furthermore, voice chat is completely unnecessary in an MMO. I can understand the need for it in an fps game, where the action is fast and furious and coordination is key, but MMO raids do not require it.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:13PM FireWraith said

• 1 heart
@Lenn

You clearly don't do anything competitive in a MMO, like trying to world-first new raid content or play on rated PvP teams. If you did, you would know that they are absolutely necessary. FPS aren't the only games that are played competitively.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:18PM (Unverified) said

@FireWraith

And yet people were successfully "world-firsting" far more difficult raid content in EQ years ago without VC.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 2:07PM FireWraith said

@(Unverified)

Because they were competing with people who also didn't use VOIP.

I guarantee no guild anywhere is going to be top-end in raiding or PvP without VOIP.

So yea, go ahead and bash it all you want, but you'd be singing a different tune if you were competitive.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 1:14PM Jorev said

@(Unverified)
Exactly. Point, match.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:45PM Lenn said

@baggs You must be the friendly and tolerant one.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:47PM (Unverified) said

I don't ever use voice chat for anything more than raids/operations. In WoW I'd occasionally hop on to chat, but really can't stand the folks that feel the need to talk just to talk.

It does take you out of the immersion of the game. But then again most raiding groups see the raid as work and not fun. So I've gotten used to going back after the raid to look at places and read books. In TOR, I just mute everyone now during a cut scene, fuck them I'm here for the story.
I play for the RPG part of MMORPG. I can take or leave the MMO.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:48PM Balraw said

@baggs Yeah not being arbitrarily labelled a "noob" because I happen to think differently about something is one of those "deeper reasons"

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:50PM teamvernia said

I don't like voice chat when I'm soloing, but it's necessary for high skill encounters in most MMOs. I also find people who hate voice chat are often socially awkward... or women tired of getting harrassed.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:53PM Lenn said

@teamvernia "it's necessary for high skill encounters in most MMOs"

No, it's not. Convenient, sure, but hardly necessary. It's a crutch. Learn to walk without it.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:24PM (Unverified) said

@teamvernia

I find most people who think voice chat is required are the socially awkward ones, they're just too arrogant (or young) to realize it.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:30PM teamvernia said

@Lenn

I understand the reasons for not using a mic. I believe it can absolutely kill communication in high skill encounters, though. And it's not a crutch. It's another tool. A keyboard is a crutch too using your logic.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:50PM Issmir said

I agree with the bit where you say that you don't like voice chat. That is, I agree that you don't like it.

Personally, I think it's a colossal aid towards binding a group of players into a community. I've been using voice chat ever since I joined the RP vent of my server's RP community in SWG and it improved my enjoyment of the game exponentially. It also led to some lasting friendships.

These days a group of us jump from game to game, often together. Some nights we'll be playing different games but many of us will be shooting the breeze in vent. We don't have drama and fights and whining in there because we've gotten to know each other over the years. And when new people come, they can pop in and get to know us. Or they can join us without ever getting into voice chat; it's not everyone's thing.

And this isn't from a hardcore raid player either. We don't play hardcore (even in competitive-themed games like APB). I think in two years or so of CO we ran maybe 10 Therakiel runs. It's just a more convenient way to socialize and it even allows inflection and timing into communication (which typing does not).

I don't buy that it's a generational thing either. I've been playing games pretty much daily since '82, and no part of me whatsoever misses the days of having to type everything in order to communicate while playing a game that requires that I also use the keyboard to get anything done.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:55PM Mikx said

@Issmir The problem with voice chat is it instantly transforms the people you're playing with into the most obnoxious bleeping bleeps.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 2:57PM Issmir said

@Mikx

That might just be down to playing with the wrong people then.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 5:14PM Mikx said

@Issmir I've dealt with 40 year olds that refuse to use push to talk while insisting/demanding that their brother, who plays in the same room, use it because he can't deal with the interference.

I was at a loss for words. And that's not even considering the people that you can tolerate in text but become too much to handle when their voice, personality, and other assorted crap is coming through your speakers nonstop.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:55PM Irem said

@baggs
Thank you for reminding me why I would prefer not to have to actually speak with people like you!

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:58PM (Unverified) said

Never used voice chat, never will. I prefer to listen to music or talk radio while I play.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:00PM fatedruby said

I'm with you on that one. I don't like to talk on voice chats for several reasons, in fact:

- I'm rarely, if ever, alone on the room while I play.
- I'm very shy and get really nervous when trying to use it, even to say simple stuff like "hi".
- I'm not 100% confident on my english skills.
- Guild chat usually becomes a barren land as everyone is talking on vc. And ff you can't / want to use voice chat, you're probably gonna have trouble with getting friends on the guild and, in turn, you might have trouble getting groups to raids or similar stuff.

Stll, I'm always online on vent (just to listen) and am glad that my guild does not require talking, just listening to vent during raids. Even so, I'd rather have us all use text chat. It's not that hard to type stuff like "I got aggro" or "attack the mage" or other simple sentences like that. It's not like we need to write an entire essay to be "efficient" enough on most MMO raids.

....Not to mention there's ALWAYS that one guy listening to some crappy music on the background while he speaks, that alone is a deal breaker.

The Stream Team: Vanguard's final week

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 11:00AM

WRUP: This is why we can't have nice things

Posted on Jul 26th 2014 10:00AM