Posted: Mar 19th 2012 12:26PM Space Cobra said

I wonder if this third anniversary would be a good time for a new player to join in?

Been meaning to give this game a whirl for awhile; I just picked up a disk from my store with a few goodies on it. I think it was something like $19.99 and advertised "over $70 of in-game stuffs in dis here box" or some phrase of that nature.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 12:36PM Space Cobra said

@Space Cobra

Sorry, that was a $100.00 value.

Some of the things have me questioning, though....a "Splendid Low Sofa"? I hope that doesn't cost too much in-game?!? (This is among many other items, some I would think, costing more than others.)

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 1:10PM BaneBergan said

@Space Cobra
In Runes of Magic, the home furnishings have effects on them for things like XP boost (you accrue "rested" XP by being in your home, and the furniture adds to the amount you gain per hour) and Talent Point boost (just like rested XP, just for TP).

I'd say now is not a bad time to try RoM. From start to relatively high level, it is a fantastic game, and you will enjoy it, I am sure. My one word of warning is for high end (when you start raiding). RoM rapidly gets to the point you will want to stop playing free and start spending money, or it will take you for-friggin-ever to try and upgrade your gear to raid-ready status... and then to upgrade to raid-statted gear you get to do it all again.

I tell anyone/everyone I know that enjoyed WoW, TRY RoM! It's a great game. Just be aware of what you are getting into.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 1:21PM avidlurker said

@BaneBergan
It's been a while that I played RoM but iirc when you want to make end game ready gear what I'd consider a months subscription could be dropped on making one or maybe two pieces of equipment.

Out of a total of about 14 pieces per class.
A lot of people drop actively playing more than one of the classes in their combo if they don't happen to have good equipment overlap (like say rogue and scout sharing one set).

I quit when they brought out the next tier of refinement stones hitting +16 because I felt the cost for top notch stuff just became stupid.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 1:56PM Pingles said

Runes of Magic was the game that showed me that a Free-to-Play could still be a high quality game. In fact, it was THE game that got me to stop subscribing to the big games and head out on an all-F2P game style.

It was a great coincidence that right after my decision the market shifted heavily towards that model.

But this IS a good game.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 2:34PM Daemodand said

Do you think they'll celebrate by adding vertical sync?

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 3:15PM nhat said

The game is truely good and fun to play. Graphics are nice and gameplay is fun. The problem is the end game cost and the (very buggy) gfx engine.

I stopped playing because in order for me to get to the next tier of armor to do the end game, it will cost a lot to do it and the buggy gfx engine breaks a lot of stuff like events.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 3:18PM nhat said

@nhat

O yes I forgot class balance and fixing issues. They are slow, very slow. Took the warden class over a YEAR to be fixed and balanced so adding 2 new classes/races is a big no no since these devs are slow.

Posted: Mar 21st 2012 10:42AM (Unverified) said

I used to play RoM about 12 hours a day a few years ago. Then I realized how horrible it actually was. Frogster removed the diamond trade, didn't fix the random crashes, login servers would shut down randomly, more quest bugs than actual content, etc...

It's not worth it.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM