Posted: Mar 19th 2012 4:53PM Tom in VA said

Judging by the vagueness and lack of information about Titan, I'm guessing we won't actually be seeing this game for many years yet.

If Titan's anything close to being an FPS or PvP-oriented game, it'd be nice to know now so I can cross it off my interest list. If it's an MMO along the lines of WoW in terms of structure -- only repackaged and much improved, with perhaps more of a story focus and a "grownup" setting, count me interested.

I do get tired of Blizzard's "I've got a secret" cutesy coyness about Titan, however. At least other game companies have the decency to let people know well in advance what kind of game they were making in general terms.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 6:13PM (Unverified) said

@Tom in VA

Well, one that company that comes to mind is Valve and their total lack of any statement on Half Life Episode 3

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 6:18PM AlienFanatic said

@(Unverified)

They're too busy shoveling money into dump trucks with the "Steam" logo on the side.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:44AM Vandal said

@Tom in VA - Agreed. ActiBlizz is wearing people's patience thin, but what do they care? Chilton and Kaplan believe they can't do any wrong since they're the leads of the most successful MMO ever (the foundations of which they did not create and their lack of talent is showing as they're bribing players to come back).

My main interest in Titan at this point is simply to see if those two finally are being forced to swallow their out-of-date Fires of Heaven/EQ BS and leave any large-man raid content in the game.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 5:05PM Valentina said

We won't be seeing Titan for years, it's Blizzards way, whenever they finally talk about a project in detail you never see it for years following.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 5:15PM (Unverified) said

@Valentina
Actually on a leaked schedule from last year, there was a tentative target date of Q4 2013. I'm sure that will be missed, but I doubt will be missed for years.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 5:14PM (Unverified) said

Is this story from late 2008 because that was when they moved the main talent from WoW to Titan.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:08AM Mcsniper said

@(Unverified)

Once again you know this from where?

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:01AM (Unverified) said

@Mcsniper
Paul Sams, Blizzard COO in a March 2011 interview on Gamasutra had said that WoW had been going for two years without the people who created it.

"We've spent a lot of time over the last number of years transitioning those people off [of World of Warcraft], and having great people below them that were trained up by them to run World of Warcraft," Sams said. "Those people have been doing it for the last couple of years without the assistance of those people that created it."

It was no secret at the end of 2008, start of 2009, that Tigole got moved over from WoW to Titan. This is when Ghostcrawler was made lead dev. Tigole even announced it on the forums.

I have noticed you like calling people out quite often McSniper, trying to make them sound like they make things up. Some of us have been fans of Blizzard (pre-merger) for quite awhile. We don't have to lie about things and your little attempts at trolling are just wearing thin.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 5:19PM Skyydragonn said

the last two expansions for WoW have removed all faith I had in blizzards ability to deliver unique compelling and exciting games. Given the copy paste that Starcraft 2 was, and the completel removal of "cookie cutter talent specs" from WoW by the complete stripping away of "telent choices" I see nothing in 'Titan' to get excited about.

Dear Blizzard, I've supported you from your infancy, even when I didn't agree with decisions you'd made. Please take a moment to look at yourself in the mirror and ask if you are really the developers you envisioned yourselves becoming?

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 6:17PM (Unverified) said

@Skyydragonn

When was the last time you actually made talent choices, instead of going to Elitist Jerks and copying the mathematically best talent spec? When was the last time you could actually choose talents, instead of having a best talent spec and any other spec you choose is inferior?

The new talent system has so much more choice involved since it's not all about getting 5% more crit or something inane like that.

Guess what? They're devs that keep on looking to improve because they know their systems aren't perfect, don't know what more you want from them.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 7:45PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)
No, the new talents don't have more choice. How can 5 or 6 true/false talents be more choice?

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:08AM Mcsniper said

@Skyydragonn

You see nothing in Titan, how do you know this? Inside info?

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:14AM Mcsniper said

@Nenene

Why so malicious? Was that truly called for?

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:07AM (Unverified) said

@Mcsniper
More snide comments from you huh McSniper?

Tell us what we should get excited about Titan for. Since the merger WoW has been lackluster. They have cut about half the content talked about in the Wrath beta from that expansion and well over half the content talked about in Cata's beta from it. SC2 has had it's share of controversy from it's hard core fans who appear underwhelmed by it, especially by the whole map store fiasco. D3 has had cut after cut leading up to it's release except for it's most controversial feature, the RMAH.

Considering what has happened to Blizzard's titles since Bobby Kotick was made CEO of ActiBlizz by Vivendi, I am with Skyydragonn, I see nothing to be optimistic about with Titan, and everyone I know feels the same.

But let me guess your next comment..."You know Bobby Kotick is CEO how?".

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 5:39PM (Unverified) said

Blizzard are still making very basic mistakes in World of Warcraft. If they haven't learned how to deal with things like class balance, offering challenging content and actually seperating PvP and PvE (instead of trying to please everyone and fail) then I don't see Project Titan being any better than WoW, sorry to say.

The main thing that would improve the overall quality of the game, I think, would be to either have it as purely PvP or purely PvE. Not both. I've always believed it's the two of these things in a game that can screw it over.

Balancing one side is hard enough, but balancing both sides and then balancing both of those sides to each other is nigh impossible and Blizzard, after over 7 years, has still not done it yet (either deliberately or not, who knows).

If you want both of these gametypes in your game then at least separate the content. PvP changes only affect PvP servers, PvE changes only affect PvE, etc. Separating the damage and effects could go wonders to doing this, as complex as the game might become because of it (worth it, imo).

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:07AM Mcsniper said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Oh yeah and what other game does this?

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:02AM (Unverified) said

@Mcsniper: Warhammer Online would be the first game that comes to mind as a PvP-oriented game that squarely focuses on PvP content. It has minor PvE content but from day one it has always been advertised as a PvP-based game. I'm not saying it's a good game though, just that it meets the criteria of a game that doesn't concern itself trying to please two different types of people.

Your implications are correct, but doesn't do anything to discredit my argument. I think Blizzard trying to focus on both PvE and PvP is what makes the class balancing in WoW so f-ed up. I also think any other game that tries to balance around both PvE and PvP will invariably have issues that probably won't ever be completely fixed, unless the two game modes are individualized from each other entirely.

This article however, is about Blizzard. My comment concerns Blizzard and Project Titan in relation to their other hit MMO, "World of Warcraft". I don't need to specify any other MMO, as that would be irrelevant.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 10:09PM Skyydragonn said

FYI, just because elitist jerks says spec X is %1 more DPS than spec Y doesn't mane you had to spec into X, you had the option if you so chose to. Otherwise you were free to experiment.
FOr example I played a Tauren protection warrior in PvP for years before they finally made it "okay" to do so. People laughed at me until I rolled thier faces into the ground. You could spec an arcane mage and beviable in PvP or PvE depending on choices made in talents, you could also spec Frost and do just as well in either aspect or spec fire and be a true glass cannon....it was not about which CHOICE was better, but having the option to CHOOSE a non optimal spec becuase you prefered it over the cookie cutter spec. The new system removes the cookie cutter simply by virtue of removing the variety of cookies avialable. Everyone has chocolate chip cookies and thats it.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 6:44PM drunkingamebar said