Posted: Mar 19th 2012 12:53PM Utakata said

You know...when the only thing that grabs me is the player getting one extra character slot if they purchase MoP, then I'm not holding out this being a very exciting expansion. In fact, Cataclysm had far more going for it.

Sure new pretty lands, a new race, a new class...all argued that are needed. But it feels more that the dev's are doing it as a bone throw to stem the subscription bleed from an increasingly skeptical MMO comumunity. There doesn't appear to be any heart and soul...that the other expansions have had, including at a time Cata (before they started jerking around with it). MoP seems more gimmicky than engaging. /shrug

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 1:18PM BaneBergan said

@Utakata
I don't even think the extra character slot is worth anything. At this point so many classes feel nearly identical in class mechanics and capabilities in a specific role, so why bother?

"Sure new pretty lands, a new race, a new class...all argued that are needed. "
It would have been nice if someone had argued for a return to what made the game worth playing in the first place. That is what might actually bring long-gone subscribers back into the fold. It's likely too late at this point, even if they tried.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 4:36PM Utakata said

@BaneBergan

Well the extra character slot was needed...like way back in TBC. It seems absurd IMO they waited this long to add one. So from my perspective, even though it's grabbing, it's really not that grabbing. And a little too late.

As for the "a return to what made the game worth playing in the first place" that depending what you mean. Raid or die 40 mans...they'll likely end up losing the subscription numbers they still have. This was part of the mentality that was introduce back with Cata that was likely the biggest turn off for many players. If it was something that evolved WoW to something like ArcheAge or GW2 with a RIFT like inovation, then yeah, most likely their sub numbers would return and then some.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 1:31PM birdyhey said

LaL ofc people won't come back for either firelands or Dragon Soul,, there were NO CHANGES. Only new raids and nerfs.

This is AN EXPANSION. Ofc people will check it out. And this one will be larger than any other. TOTALLY REVAMPING THE WHOLE GAME adding TONS of new things.

Not sure if it will keep me when i return.. but am gonna check it out , that's for sure.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 1:49PM (Unverified) said

@birdyhey
MoP revamping the game? Sorry, but the entire game was revamped for Cataclysm. Are you saying they are going back and redesigning all the old zones again?

And once again, someone says MoP will cause people to go back as if it's true. Maybe so, but a game that lost subscribers immediately after the release of the last expansion and saw zero growth after the release of the expansion before that, please explain how MoP will do what only BC did and that is to increase subs.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 9:55PM AlienFanatic said

@(Unverified)

Remember, they revamped 1-60. 61-80 is still a hellish slog through outdated content including TBC and WOTLK, then you get five levels of tedium in Cataclysm (sorry, but I HATE Cataclysm zones with perhaps the exception of Stonecore). 1-60 goes by very quickly and then the grind begins.

Trust me, I've done it too many times to count. Not again.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 1:22AM (Unverified) said

@AlienFanatic
Yes, but they aren't revamping BC or Wrath. Birdyhey made the comment that the game was going to be revamped. Well, the game was revamped for Cataclysm but revamped badly. So not only has Blizzard not said that the game is getting a complete revamp, when they did do a revamp, it was a bust.

Nothing they have said amounts to what all they said for Cataclysm, and precious little of what they said have to do with the story.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 1:46PM Tezcatli said

I don't really see anything that is interesting. Just more of the same but with tweaks. They just don't get it. People are tired of the same thing. And the same thing at the slow rate they patch things. I don't wanna sit around for a month after completing all of their content. They make so much money, they can afford to higher enough staff to release enough content to keep even a slacker like me satisfied.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 1:51PM Dunraven said

Nothing here excites me things that should have been implemented instead of Raid or Die five years ago...all in all it meh.

The game is dead IMO.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 2:16PM scfs123 said

I'm glad they are finally adding stuff to do at max level outside of grind gear/gold.

Mini pet wars = Yay.
Challenge mode dungeons not being done for gear but for fun = YAY.
LFR availble for all of MoP raids = YAY!
New BGs = *looks@IoC* ....well...we can hope its a yay.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 2:17PM Reservoir said

Wowkemon! With all the rep grinds there are in the game it's strange that a personal player rating doesn't exist. It's more important what an NPC thinks of you than the people playing with you. It's far too easy to be a jerk in Wow today. I know because I am one

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 3:38PM Lotobarnes said

So they took out the two really interesting things about being a dps monk? If I recall correctly the "chi" system basically works exactly like energy, leading me to believe that dps monks will just be combat rogues with fancier animations. I haven't played since takin' out nef at the beginning of cataclysm but I was kind of intrigued by the original concept they had for the monk because it broke the WoW mold a little bit, showed they were willing to take a risk and try something new in the combat department. Guess not =/

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 4:39PM kahnbloodbane said

not going back, I prefer more complex games like rifts.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 10:49PM Mcsniper said

@kahnbloodbane

Rift is a great game!

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 4:45PM kahnbloodbane said

not going back, I prefer more complex games like rifts.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 4:55PM (Unverified) said

I like much of what they offer, though I have no hope for it all. I've learned to wait and see what Blizzard actually implements before getting too excited. There are already hints of features being delayed until a future patch or outright cancelled.

I could see myself playing MoP a month here or a month there, but only if the expansion were free or extremely cheap. And seeing as how the Scroll of Resurrection is providing returning players every expansion before MoP, I don't see that happening.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 10:50PM Mcsniper said

@(Unverified)

Free or cheap...really...

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 5:31PM NothingShocking said

As someone who started playing WoW in early 2006, took two separate 1-year long breaks, and who is currently casually enjoying Cataclysm with my friends, I can safely say this seems like more good fun to me. I play MMO's to play with my friends, and I find myself always coming back to WoW. I've tried EVE, Rift, ToR, STO, LotRO, and probably others, but the one thing that keeps me coming back to WoW are the relationships I've built and continue to enjoy there. To me this trumps any changes to game design or philosophy that Blizzard may or may not have made in the last 6 years.

I understand people play(ed) this game for a variety of reasons, and perhaps many have very valid reasons for leaving WoW (though I can't bring myself to understand some of the more offensive and vitriolic comments I read here) but, I (and I'm pretty sure quite a few more) will continue to enjoy my time in the world Blizzard has crafted. :)

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 7:54PM (Unverified) said

@NothingShocking

Your sentiment for the connections and friends you have made is commendable. It is also something the developers are aware of and manipulate as best they are able to by designing their game around group activities.
Why do you think so many MMO companies claim that they've always been about social connections and community at their core? Because it keeps people playing more than if they were able to leave easily. Force people to lump into groups they feel attached to like a family and call it a guild, then make guilds a big focus of your game... and $$$!
MMO's have a lot of research into social sciences and what keeps barbed hooks in players... Its all part of the plan.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 10:38PM Mcsniper said

@NothingShocking

NIce post could not agree more.