Posted: Mar 18th 2012 5:23PM Tom in VA said

I wish they were policed, but they won't be.

What would help a lot, imo, is expanded "/ignore" functionality. The ability to ignore is, sadly, one of the best and most helpful features for someone who wants to RP. More could be done with ignore, imo.

(1) Ignores should be server-wide (i.e., the list should be shared by all your alts on a server).
(2) I wish there was an option in prefs to automatically ignore any player who is on 50+ or 100+ other player ignore lists.
(3) Ignored players should get an automatic anonymous tell whenever they're ignored stating something like "a player has just added you to his or her ignore list."
(5) It'd be great if "ignore" not only chat silenced other players but made them "disappear" visually so far as you were concerned.

Ignore is a great feature. I don't think there is anything wrong with temporarily "shunning" another player via ignore for not abiding by the RP stipulations of an RP server. It actually might help them to learn how to play in a more careful and considerate manner.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 5:41PM Space Cobra said

@Tom in VA

"(4) Ignores should last 15-30 days and then "expire". That's because I think ignores should really serve as a kind of "time-out" function, not result in permanent "exile" for anyone."

I generally hate to use /ignore because sometimes folks just blow off steam or they are debating on channel or something like that and they really are not "bad" folks if you get to know them. I see too many folks using it as an "infinite final" option. Now, I don't mind perma-ignoring spambots (even though they delete and recreate under a new name) but this option has merit.

I like it.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 6:58PM (Unverified) said

@Tom in VA : another benefit to /ignores having an expiry date is that they are often used to /ignore spammers, and those accounts are generally burned through and banned pretty quickly - you don't need to waste a slot in your ignore list for all eternity on an account that was banned almost immediately after it started being used for spamming.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 5:37PM Space Cobra said

Good points all around.

Generally, I'll take the "Mary Sue" and RP concepts that don't fit my standards because, at least they are trying to RP, even if I don't like the subject or quality.

kjhasdfjkhk reported his experiences as a GM, that's a bit depressing, but I would think such a company would look at the simple math of "one player" versus "the many others he is gieifing" and weigh which "group" pays more on a monthly basis. And really, if a griefer complains on forums, those griefed complain too.

Another thing about naming conventions, while I cringe at the Sephiroths and Gokus, they don't bother me as much as "Suckmyballs" and similar. Now, I have met some folks that named themselves similar names, gotten into RP, and then made a reason to have such a a name for RP.

I don't report folks for it and there are some nice folks that, while they role on RP servers and have such IMHO, "caustic" names (even subtley) just bother me. Again, it's what people consider acceptable or not and I generally try to avoid swearing iRL, but I know others don't mind/care and that's alright.

But here is the thing: You read TOS and they have your standard paragraph about "offensive names" and other names that you can't choose. Names like "JesusChrist" and any "God" or "Lord" in your name. In a good number of MMOs, those names get banned/forced-rename. I do not get the "double-standard" here: On one hand, they allow swear names but then certain companies immediately clamp down on (mostly western christian) religious names to not offend religious people. (And there are still people born being named "Jesus", but that tends to happen in Central/South America more often than not). If they are going to disallow such names, they really should go after the other cuss names (or suggestive actions in names, like "Suckmyballs").

Just force a rename and be done with it; I am not even talking about "banning" like some people bring up here.

As for the other things, yeah, I do wish, at times, to hear more IC chat in general, but even I can get loopy at times (like late night) and go OOC; people are people. I've seen some rules on some servers that were tight, but eventually, those rules slip as time goes by. I think one MMO RP rules set mentioned no talking of Sports Events or Nintendo Gameboy (specifically mentioning Gameboy, but that might've been a "for example" type thing). Still, even though I like RP, I was tempted about that Gameboy thing and fitting it in RP in such a way. Sometimes when you are young, rules are more of a "double-dog-dare-you" than anything else: a forbidden "taboo" that you can test and break.

While GMs or "the MMO" can't/won't limit speech (and that is fine), they really should look at some of these names and just force a rename (or move the character to some other server of their choice). That won't solve some problems, but it makes things less easy for folks to get away with things.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 6:06PM smg77 said

• 1 heart
Roleplayers are the worst, most high maintenance players in MMOs. If GMs had to respond to every spergy complaint from RPers they wouldn't have time to do anything else.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 8:07PM smartstep said

@smg77

Yeah ,especially that few companies could and did police basic things like naming. Players report , GM just decide if name is allowed or not.

Huge work lol

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 6:55PM (Unverified) said

Policed as in making people role-play? No.

Policed as in removing people who actively attempt to sabotage? Yes.

I'm not entirely sure how serious role-players feel about this, but fact is, RP servers have become the de facto place for serious, adult players who have no interest in role-playing, but just want to find a more mature server to play on. It would be a great service to both that demographic, AND the serious role-playing demographic, if deliberate saboteurs were removed.

imho, one warning should suffice, and on the second offence, characters forcibly transferred to a non-RP server, and the account flagged as being unable to create any characters on an RP server in the future.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 8:03PM (Unverified) said

I know this is completely off topic, but since you brought it up (sort of)...
All I have ever wanted in MMO's is an "adult" server for intelligent conversations.
I don't want to play with kids. Sorry.
I am not expected to sit at the kiddie table around Thanksgiving, why is it different in MMOS? In the real world an adult 30 something hanging out with teens would be very odd and suspect... yet totally the norm in MMOS... WHY?
I drink alchohol, I smoke bad things, I like to talk about things that kids are typically shielded from or not interested in (such as crime, humanitarian work, politics and philosophy ) and actually want to avoid the conversations that kids are obsessed with (Ninjas, Chuck Norris, unicorns, bacon, poo, boogers, etc ) or that Teens are obsessed with (omg BECKY! He totally cheated on joo! Hey check out my junk, brah, its massive! But not as massive as this zombie bacon unicorn ninja filled with glitter poo! Ahmagawd brohooooooooooof.)
Why is it so hard to have a server with some sort of REAL adult verification (where players can report anyone they suspect to be under 18.)

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 7:05PM Graill440 said

I know you folks tire of me spouting the world revolves around money.....but it does.

Publishers hire the cheapest dev talent they can and hire industry folks that think like they do, "The cheapest way possible".

So no, like the OP stated it isnt suprising and it will not happen as a regular thing, because of money. If these cheap devs and even less talented folks had the funds they needed on an unlimited basis we could force hiring and firing and get the great undiscovered talent out there, we could find the folks that have common sense and dedication, and also not stark raving Role play crazy (laugh) to police the servers.

But money will ALWAYS influe the reasoning and the end goals in all MMO's. Your wants and needs as a Gamer are last in a very long list.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 8:10PM (Unverified) said

I'd go for that, too. Would it work? I have no idea. Certainly there's a school of thought that many of the moronic "kids" in MMOs are actually moronic adults who simply behave like kids because they're, well, morons. But I would love to see a major title at least take a stab at it. Proof of age required, hell, even charge a bit more for the sub to cover the expense of managing it. Let's find out whether an adults only server really is a more pleasant place for adults!

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 5:22AM EilertAlemat said

@(Unverified) You nailed it. Personally I choose RP server every time, RP-PvP if possible. Just because of general maturity players involved. Even if I don't intend to RP, like in WoW for example, I'm still on roleplaying server.

And I think that charging for playing on RP server is very good idea. I, personally, will pay to play on such server.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 11:26PM Yukon Sam said

If a company is going to officially designate a roleplay server, then they ought to actively enforce it. And enforcement should be fairly strict in maintaining the integrity of the game world.

If somebody causes repeated problems after warnings, they ought to be transferred to a standard server and account-blocked from the RP server.

RP is not an excuse to be a jerk. If you're doing something that makes other people uncomfortable or upset, you're doing it wrong, and if you're stubbornly persistant in pissing people off, you need to be removed. Better to lose one paying customer (assuming they're even paying) than to have him drive off twenty or more others.

If you're serious about building community, one of the more vital steps is recognizing and culling the people who thrive on destroying community.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 11:59PM (Unverified) said

Yes, a lot of mmopedogamers are preying on 5 years old kids. so yeah.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 12:50AM (Unverified) said

As far as giving people an ooc channel they definitely need one , general and say should always be in character imo and yes they need to ban repeat offenders or at the very least force them to relocate to another server (non rp) I'm not an avid RPer but i support them if they wish to run around doing their acting and emoting, they shouldn't be stopped by a twelve year old jumping up and down yelling chucknorriz chucknorriz like and idiot.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 12:51AM (Unverified) said

definitely need to be policed also for pedobears because for some reason parents just don't read the label on the game for the age group.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 5:40AM Rodj Blake said

Before you can enforce RP, you need to define what RP actually is.

And I suspect that there are as many different definitions of RP as there RPers.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 6:37AM ZenD said

Policing only in the sense of removal of repeated griefing of people trying to RP simply -because- they are trying to RP.

Anything more involved starts to get into splitting hairs over what constitutes 'RP' and that's too subjective.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 7:25AM FrostPaw said

Yes and I know this is unpopular but I believe RP servers have to cost a little extra, 50cents a month, a dollar, whatever. Something extra to help pay for extra enforcement.

But it will also keep out a lot of the people who are ignorant of what the server is tagged for. Too many people join RP servers to "be with roleplayers" the issue is so great now that we essentialy have a community within a community on roleplay servers. We have the masses that don't roleplay filling up the server and we have the minority of roleplayers who segregate themselves away in their specialised guilds and groups to avoid those people.

The irony of that is, the people joining it to be around roleplayers but not roleplay end up populating the server with none roleplayers.

An extra small monthly charge would stop most none roleplayers from joining the server....it would definitely stop griefers from joining the server and it would help fund the rules enforcement. The roleplay community would get a rules enforced server to enjoy their game in.

Of course I'm sure someone reading this claiming to love roleplaying will cry "but I want all of that without paying extra waaaagh" well, thats fine too, you can pay the standard rate and be with all the none roleplayers.

Getting what you pay for, not everything enjoyable in life is basic rate.

Posted: Mar 20th 2012 12:59PM StClair said

@FrostPaw
If it would get me that extra enforcement, guaranteed, then yes.

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 8:52AM dajones said

I don't expect it will be... but it would be great if non role play general chat was immediately snuffed.