Posted: Mar 17th 2012 4:32PM AstralEcho said

I don't think there's anything archaic at all about the job quests. To start, obtaining a job in the first place isn't exactly difficult. I can't say how a level 30 character would fare doing their initial quest solo, but the initial quests are far from anything that require a complete team of competent players. In fact you can get by with a small party all the way up until your 4th piece of job-specific equipment. If you absolutely despise grouping (and I'd ask why you're playing an MMO, specifically the cousin of one of the most notoriously group-oriented MMOs in the first place if that were the case), you can do most of the quests solo if you have some levels behind you, and the jobs are hardly a prerequisite for leveling.

I'm personally fond of the idea that things should be gated behind relevant content. I liked that in order to unlock the last five levels to cap in FFXI, you had to complete a quest that would test your individual capability with your class. I like that in order to obtain the final abilities and equipment used in party-oriented play as a job, you're tasked with completing the last quests in a competent party. This isn't archaic, it's logical.

Even if you have no friends or a linkshell to get help from, there are plenty of people shouting in Ul'dah all day. The fights aren't nearly as difficult as they were a week ago when the patch hit, now that people know the strategies and have unlocked their own jobs to assist with. Personally I think the job quests were wonderfully implemented - it breathed a bit more life into the pick-up grouping game, and brought the game that much closer to the social experience I've come to expect from the Final Fantasy family of MMOs.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 6:14PM Balraw said

@AstralEcho I have recently returned and am still in the process of levelling. My highest is pugilist (currently at 31) and l have just got lancer up to the required level to have a crack at the first monk job quest, though I have yet to try it. I did come across a thread on the official forums that said on level even with a group the quests are somewhat tough ( http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/40029-Job-Quest-woes-from-a-noob?p=594803&viewfull=1#post594803P ) but as I said I have yet to try grouped or otherwise.

I am not sure how I feel about this at the moment as I haven't experienced any frustrations but that thread does make me slightly nervous about doing them. Time will tell in the end and worse case scenario is that I get stomped so leave them until I have levelled up more which I can live with if I have to :) Plenty of other stuff for me to be doing in the meantime and I am in no real rush.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 7:19PM Monkey D Luffy said

• 1 heart
This game needs to be more like FFXI to be good. They are making the game less and less traditional FF and that's not okay, this might as well be called Tactics Ogre Online since they are trying to make the game more western with a tiny bit of the FF feel.

FFXI is the best MMO ever released, that's fact. It had the story, gameplay, story characters, combat, jobs, job abilities, music, races, world, cities, conflict, style, originality, depth, minigames, community, immersion, and ability to tell a story through cutscenes perfectly (unlike TOR lol). Those are all facts, there is no other game that can compare. It shows that it was Squaresofts last true Final Fantasy and masterpiece.

They have the perfect MMO formula to use as a foundation to build up from. Why in the hell aren't they using it instead of making all these horrible decisions and mistakes?!

The direction MMO's and gaming is heading is infuriating.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 7:53PM Buckwald said

@Monkey D Luffy

Yeah, well, y'know that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 1:03AM Rialle said

@Monkey D Luffy

I guess I can't really say an opinion is wrong, but...

Your kidding.
Your kidding, right?

The game certainly has its own charm, and I give it credit for that. I'd much rather play it than many games (especially anything crapped out by Perfect World) but the best MMO ever released? That's a very big stretch from my point of view.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 5:22AM Addfwyn said

@Monkey D Luffy Those aren't facts, those are opinion. Stating that your opinion is a fact doesn't make it so. Especially the claim that the game you liked the most happened to be the last Final Fantasy, and what the company itself actually does doesn't matter, because you said so.

That aside, if they were to make FFXIV exactly like FFXI...why play FFXIV? Everyone would just play FFXI, and for good reason. A new game shouldn't be a carbon copy of another game, or you'd just play the original. That's a reason so many 'wow clones' don't do exceptionally well, even if they are good games, cause people would just as soon play wow.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 11:00PM Cerabret100 said

I'm not going to lie, after grinding my brains out for two days to get the right levels (i've only put a month in to the game so far) i was kind of disappointed to find that just unlocking the job required a quest. but eh, that's my problem, i don't really blame them for it.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 11:01PM Cerabret100 said

@Cerabret100 and by quest i mean group...yes i'm tired

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 7:07AM alyosha17 said

Job quests are fine. I only did the bard one, be that as it may, and got the entire set within a few hours. The only difficult arose by virtue of the face that I did it soon as patch hit and nobody knew how to get the Bard legs from the dungeon until some people figured it out by accident. The fights were challenging. We had to do one of the fights three times, but they weren't overly difficult.

Shouting in Uldah for a Job Quest party yields results within minutes. I literally had a full party within two shouts. Granted, this was the day after patch, so things may have changed by now. But still. I don't see the big deal.

The only problem I had was that the quests were a bit boring, except for the challenging fights, and going into the dungeons to find the gear.

Food changes were certainly for the best. Culinarian was perceived as a somewhat useless class, but now that the guesswork has been removed from food, it's no longer that at all.

Anyways, I'm still waiting for the day when crafting is relevant again, and when combat is fun. Materia made this game so grindy.

Posted: Mar 18th 2012 11:30AM (Unverified) said

Patch 1.21 over all is a great patch. It adds progressive goals to obtain while leveling (job abilities and gear) a decent amount of high level content to keep players busy (not the mega hardcore gotta be #1 gamers)

Crafting reforms don't stop at culinary, alchemy or goldsmithing. The entire system had a reform. It's easier overall to control the quality of your craft. And the rewards for attempting high quality really show. Patch 1.20 I would get ~250 exp per synth, now I get ~600+ (1000+ with rested exp)

The jobs bring a more Final Fantasy feel to the game, introduce canonical FF lore, and more streamlined dynamics to "player roles"

I'm looking forward to the implementation of large scale content that can include the whole linkshell in an event. Will probably have to wait for 2.0 but it's very close now, 7-8 months away. Not very long anymore.