Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:09PM Ehra said

I saw on reddit that someone had gotten an invite and was sad that I missed my chance. Good to know that more invites are still being sent for the upcoming weekend event, although I'm still most likely not going to get in :)

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:09PM (Unverified) said

One million applicants, probably a couple of hundred invites.

Good luck, everybody. We're gonna need it!

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:13PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Grrrr. I'm still (Unverified)? I only have like 200 posts on this system...

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 1:08PM wahahabuh said

@(Unverified) actually, it's more likely to be in the 100k range because they're going to want to do some stress tests as well as WvWvW tests

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 5:06PM (Unverified) said

One in a million...

So you're saying there's a chance! YES!

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 8:59PM h4ngedm4n said

@(Unverified)
The comment system sucks. I had the same problem as you and ended up just making another account to stop being (Unverified).

Posted: Mar 19th 2012 4:10AM Protoavis said

@(Unverified)

it's got nothing to do with post count, you probably deleted the "confirm email" email when you made the account (and for some stupid reason the site doesn't have a link to generate a new one)

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:10PM Foobar1923 said

F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5F5

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:10PM (Unverified) said

What is the difference between a "beta weekend event" and this test? I've seen both terms thrown around, but sometimes the "beta weekend" is explicitly stated and sometimes it is not. Is this a longer test?

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:13PM cingeto said

@(Unverified) I read that the "beta weekend events" would start at the end of April, so I would guess that those are the ones that Pre-purchase-people get automatic invites to.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:18PM The Ogre said

@(Unverified) Current beta event is, apparently, a stress test and an actual beta where they'll be wanting to be notified of bugs and such, hence the NDA requirement. The Beta Weekend Events are just for marketing purposes (the hype is going to be EXTREME because of it) and won't be covered by an NDA.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:23PM OutThere said

@(Unverified)

If the beta testing goes anything like the original GW (and much like Rift's and SWTOR's), testing will occur on weekends and the beta "event" invite is good for a specific weekend only. You may get into the first one by invite, but then not get an invite for the ones that follow. Or, you might not get into the first one, but then get an invite for a later one. However, if you pre-order, then you are guaranteed a spot in all the beta event weekends.

So, the answer is, there is no difference. They are the same.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:17PM Balraw said

Checks email ... le sigh ... nothing .... wait 5 seconds
Checks email ... le sigh ... nothing .... wait 5 seconds
Checks email ... le sigh ... nothing .... wait 5 seconds
Checks email ... le sigh ... nothing .... wait 5 seconds

I hope that Anet confirm when they have all been sent out as my F5 finger is starting to ache. Good luck everyone :)

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:43PM Dumac said

Doesn't Gmail refresh the inbox automatically? *misses the point*

Good luck everyone. :)

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 1:36PM Tizmah said

@Dumac Yes, and my phone automatically lets me know of incoming e-mails...

Are some of you living in the stone age with the F5 key? lol

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 3:40PM (Unverified) said

@Tizmah
Yeah but until the HTML 5 standard finally irons out those web socket issues (I think they had some security issues with it? Don't keep up with the HTML 5 news, JavaScript makes me sad inside) you're still essentially living in a 'data pull' environment. So sure the gmail client will, on a timer, refresh itself but it's still an event fired from the client not the server. So it's fully possible that the server has received the beta invite and the client hasn't updated yet (since there's no reliable data push standard yet). So if you're not hammering F5 you might only know about the invite 5 seconds after you've technically received it.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 4:42PM Pyzlnar said

@(Unverified) I just have an add-on that checks my mail every minute. On the past 24 hours I've gotten more mail than in the past month, and none from Anet yet. :(

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:46PM Snowblind said

@Flicktion
Others have already said it, but this is an actual closed beta. Only a very limited about of players are getting in and it's under a strict NDA. Starting at the end of April, those who pre-purchase the game get access to the beta weekend events, which essentially just to hype up the game and stress test, etc.

They aren't exactly hiding that, and I don't see why it's a "laughable" tactic. The masses will finally get a chance to play the game and Anet get valuable feedback. I'm not sure why you'd have expected them to "redefine" the marketing aspect of MMO development.. that was never really a goal.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:47PM Nyan said

@Flicktion You'd have to be an idiot not to turn in a profit on how much hype this game is generating. MMOs are extremely expensive to make, and if this will help them give the game a final push I'm all for it.

Buying the game now or a few months later doesn't make any difference.

Posted: Mar 17th 2012 12:48PM Irem said

@Flicktion
Yes, because I think we all know that whether or not a game has beta events available to those who pre-purchase the game is the absolute arbiter of said game's quality, and the sole determining factor in whether or not it'll be a success. Quick, someone call Trion Worlds and tell them they've got a flop on their hands! :V

WRUP: Queue zen