Posted: Mar 15th 2012 1:43PM Space Cobra said

Koster has his yellowed newspaper, but I have my "print"! ;P

(Although, it may've yellowed, too...Special ordered CE from Origin that was created after the game released. Never used the code, since I already had an account, but I "wanted it". It still sits in it's shipping carton with EA tape on a bookshelf).

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:50PM (Unverified) said

@Space Cobra I still have the print, too. :)

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 5:47PM henbot said

@(Unverified)

Nice one man, i honestly mean that.

Pity about the EA tape

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 8:02PM (Unverified) said

Why do I show as (Unverified) and how do I fix it? Sigh.

-Raph

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 10:01PM Space Cobra said

@henbot

I meant the EA-branded shipping tape is on the outer shipping box, not the inner nice "retail box". I did open up all of it up to take a look, but put it back all inside. But the box does have one crease, so it's not totally mint beyond that. It's something like 20" x 11" in size. with about an 1" in depth.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 2:31PM drunkingamebar said

That box art was soo effin' cool back in the day..

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 2:55PM Joaquin Crowe said

• Half a heart
He really didn't understand Star Wars and shouldn't have been given the helm of SWG -- it might still be around today. if... only if....

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:24PM Celestian said

• Half a heart
Who is this guy again? Oh, that guy that worked on SWG. Didn't he have some lame build your own "mmo" thing that flopped... then he scuttled off to work on flash games or something?

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 4:00PM avaloner said

@Celestian Who are you again? Oh thats right a nobody who has never made a game and never will. Least Raph has a place in gaming history.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:26PM Russell Clarke said

Surely a moment as momentous as this deserved a picture of a rearranged sock drawer? Or some ironed shirts.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:37PM Space Cobra said

@Omegamaniac

Everyone with the name "Raphael" seems to disagree with your spelling of their nickname...

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 4:15PM Celestian said

• Half a heart
@avaloner I don't have to make games to know what games are good. Sorta like I don't have to be a good cook to know what tastes good.

Sorry to burst your fan bubble.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 5:24PM Marchosias said

• 1 heart
Hey Raph, blah blah blah yes you did SWG and your a genius, blah blah blah.....Your a god to mmos blah blah blah..

BUT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE LATELY?

Exactly.........

Yesterdays news was.............um..........yesterday?

Um yeah yesterday..............more like yesteryear

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 10:34PM (Unverified) said

@Marchosias Gaming projects take years. If you haven't done something major in five years that's not really a long time. And "new sequel every year" stuff from big publishers like EA and Activision isn't usually a lauded practice.

And lot's of big game industry people end up doing a lot of little things that they don't really receive a whole hell of a lot of credit for, such as being consultants or executive producers. Hell, Lineage II was only five years ago, but everyone rails on the Garriott punching bag at every opportunity for not being a part of anything in recent memory.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 7:38PM RogueJedi86 said

@Omegamaniac

Also, Raph stopped working on SWG shortly after launch, so you can't blame him for things that were done 2 1/2 years after he left the game. That's like blaming George Washington for things George W. Bush did to America.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 7:38PM Miffy said

I loved SWG Pre CU but Raph seemed like the only one who understood what the design of the game was all about and yet it left in late 2003 which after the game started going downhill fast. Funny he said he would never have done Holocrons and people hated them because they made you play professions you didn't want to.

All that is in the past now, SOE had their chance and they blew it like with all their MMOs. I would love to see a Raph Koster designed MMO again, probably wont see it so.........

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 7:49PM Yukon Sam said

Damn hooligans. Ya got no respect.

Seriously, Raph's one of the sharpest guys I've ever had the privilege to argue with over the past 15 years. Sometimes he's dead wrong, but he's wrong in interesting ways. That beats being right but boring, in my book.

And if you're looking for someone to crucify for SWG, there's a lot of credit to go around. I and the other beta testers maybe didn't yell loud enough when the suits at Sony pushed it out the door too early. Mea culpa.

Now get off my lawn.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 11:08PM (Unverified) said

He didn't know about Raph having nothing to do with later changes to SWG, and most of his post was a rant about Raph's name. I'm pretty sure this is just a troll. An unintentional troll, possibly, but he's being too belligerent for that to matter.

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 12:59AM Khal said

Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies (pre NGE) are in my top three MMOs along with Asheron's Call. With the understanding that ALL MMOs have their bugs and issues, I've had the most enjoyment out of those three.

That said I really wish that Koster would go back to those roots and make a game or three more for us gamers that enjoy that kind of gameplay as opposed to the hand held, quest hub to quest hub games. More "world" than "game".

He has the skins on the wall to head a serious effort at making another sandbox MMO that can draw the monetary backing that indie companies like Adventurine and Star Vault didn't/don't.