Posted: Mar 15th 2012 7:33PM BaneBergan said

@Empress Aurora

"The thing LL *really* needs to do is help us content creators out - I literally spend more time in SL swatting griefers than I spend at my RL job that pays for it. When the residents have to build systems to shore-up LL systems just so random /b/tards cant crash the servers every hour, that tells me making 'new stuff' should probably wait a while."
THIS. To the 1 millionth power, THIS!

It annoys me that the "new" direction is in creating LL made sims (like odd little mini-games), taking people AWAY from user created content. It annoys me even more that the resources being consumed to create these sims could have been used to fix issues the content creators have been talking about for years.

Like I said, I haven't been in SL much at all post viewer 2.0... but I still have massive respect for those who build amazing places and design beautiful things within the grid. The fact Mr. Humble believes working to "make it a really exciting place where people can't wait to find out about the next unusual title we're going to release" is more important than helping the very people that SUSTAIN Second Life more than annoys me. It's like flipping the bird to the designers that have kept people logging into the grid.

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 4:18AM Graill440 said

@Empress Aurora

Do you pay taxes on the profits you make in this game? Do you know you are required to if indeed you profit in anyway? Regardless of whether it is digital or not. I would bet most people do not unless there is some thing in the eula that states this, havent looked at it so i am curious.

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 10:55AM Azzura said

@Empress Aurora
I gave up on LL.... I too was spending a lot of money on tier....and I was making it back with item sales. I was having a blast. But then the lag came, and the disappearing inventory, and the grey textures...

This made the population start to rapidly decline and thus so did sales. They lost my trust...I gave them many chances and they blew it. Now I create for free in OS...and I also live there for free.

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 12:04PM Empress Aurora said

@Graill440

The short answer is yes. I set up an LLC for my SL business, just to make sure everything was on the up and up.

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 10:51AM Azzura said

Yes they are more populated...if you want to dance and hang out and thats all - then SL is the place to be. If you want good customer service...then SL does not win. I was a full sim owner...I was a private sim owner. I was still treated like a 3rd class citizen. I takes weeks or months to get an answer from them. Or Never in my one case...thus the reason for abandoning my land and calling it quits.

The smaller grids care because you are 1 of 100 or 400...not 1 of 30000.
Hypergrid is progressing letting people hop from grid to grid so people are not stuck on just the grid they signed up for.

I find Open Sim just as buggy as SL...but SL is hurting itself...while OS is continually bettering the code. There will always be crappy OS hosts...and if you get on a crappy one you MOVE...and when you move in OS...you can take ALL your builds with you and upload that sim already intact on your new grid....try that in SL.

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 4:13AM Graill440 said

Pyramid schemes and gambling in an online game, whats not to like. Of course if the courts ever make a ruling on virtual profits they are so screwed.

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 8:17PM mattwo said

@Graill440 You talking about EVE or SL? :P

Posted: Mar 22nd 2012 8:16PM mattwo said

Second Life has been and always should be about user-generated content.

Instead of asking their own company to make things more interesting, they should hold a contest to see who can do it the best.

It would generate a LOT of new and exiting content on a scale bigger than LL could do own their own.

Posted: Mar 26th 2012 9:15PM (Unverified) said

LOL - you have me exactly wrong. I would MUCH rather see sex in a movie than violence. I think Americans, at least (and I am one of them) tend to be on the prudish side.

Let me explain for you.

You have this incredible world, with all these incredible tools, and you can make ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE. What do an inordinately large number of people choose to make? Animations of sex and orgy clubs.

That doesn't offend me. If they did, I can always avoid them. But with all those tools at their disposal, with the power of creation at their fingertips, THAT is what they choose to create. Go out and have real sex. Then come back and make something amazing.