Posted: Mar 15th 2012 11:11AM Alluvian EstEndrati said

The original Bard's Tale games were among some of the first computer games I ever played when I was younger. Drat that Mangar! Alas I did not discover Wasteland till long after I had played games like Fallout and such.

I am very thrilled that the Kickstarter for Wasteland 2 has already met its initial goal.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 2:22PM RudyHuxtable said

@Alluvian EstEndrati

Right? Mangar was a dick for sure but, Kylearan was an absolute douchebag for making a tower with so many damn teleporters and spinners? What kind of special asshole does that?! God I hate that prick.

Here's to hoping the Bard's Tale winds up on Kickstarter, too!

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 11:50AM Space Cobra said

Damn Yea!

Great video, too! Good sense of humor about things.

I've really missed the "team-you-control" game. I really liked giving my team different names and personalities (at least in my head). I'll always remember I had a Russian on my team that dealt with more heavier arms. I hope we get that kind of access here!

And damn you youngster publishers with no knowledge of gaming history (and your gold watches!) Know whence your product came! ;P

I also gave up hope but sheesh, with Fallout's legal worries, this may be the right time!

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 12:06PM (Unverified) said

Wasteland. Best RPG Ever. My brother and I still fire up our C64 emulators every few years and run through it again. Interplay as a whole was a terrific company and made some great games. (Cinemaware was my second favorite company). Very excited to hear we might be seeing a sequel after all the talk and all the years.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 12:08PM Dalano said

Hell yes. Break out the snake squeezins.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 12:10PM Seffrid said

Almost alone among the mass of so-called big-name developers who mostly attract total contempt from gamers stands Brian Fargo, a true hero to the veteran gamers who started out, like you Shawn, and me too, in the 80's. His games truly were iconic, and I have the impression from various interviews over the years that Brian never adopted false airs and graces as so many other game developers have done but remains today a genuine all-round nice guy with a flair for designing great games.

Bards Tale was for me the game that bridged the text adventures that got me hooked on computers and the CRPGs that eventually led to MMORPGs, and Wasteland was one of the great games that I enjoyed so much in those early years of computer gaming, with the early Fallouts also holding a special place in my gaming past.

I can't wait for Wasteland 2, I have every confidence it will be another gem!

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 4:16PM Tom in VA said

@Seffrid

Loved, loved, LOVED the Bard's Tale Games, which led me to play Wasteland. These were devious and tricksy and challenging games and all very fun to play. I am so glad to hear Brian Fargo is working on something like this. He's kind of gaming legend/hero of mine.

Like you, these were the games that really got me interested in RPG gaming in the first place, and I still have a soft spot for any game that allows me to collect a motley and diverse crew of hardened adventurers (GW1 was built along these lines, too). I love that kind of thing.

My hope for Wasteland is that it will be an "either/or" and "both/and" sort of game that allows you to adventure with either other players and/or NPCs or various combinations of both. I wish there were more games like this and--set in a post-apocalyptic setting?--- when can I preorder this game???

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 12:17PM Sorithal said

So finally we're going to see a bigger company go back to the older RPG model that made great games that were more about story and depth than action/explosions/sex/appealing to the masses for more money? Awesome.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 12:31PM Silverangel said

I played the original Wasteland and Bard's Tale, and loved them. Today I look at the offerings of the classic party-based RPG's at Good Old Games and I think I've played them all. To see a new title of that old genre would be amazing.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 1:20PM JuliusSeizure said

It's already over a million! :D I went for the $100 tier, because I'm willing to give as much as I can budget for in a tight period. So looking forward to this!

(Now if only I could reacquire a legit copy of the original.)

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 2:41PM pid said

LOL Shawn's intro is almost as if it was written by me, word for word :D When I connected to the internetz (1998) one of my first sites was a fanboy site about Wasteland, I even had an original and unique interview with Alan Pavlish. Damn I can't find it anymore :(

That guy had this dream to make a sequel, too.

Next, I helped coding a MUD based on Wasteland but it never got far. I'll definitely follow this closely 'cause I still love it!

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:00PM werewood said

Definitely in. Finally someone will invest in advancing turn-based concepts into modern gameplay. Donated my 15$ for an electronic d/l. cant wait.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:04PM Narof said

Just gave them $15 to help them along. Could be awsome.

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 3:43PM zuchaka said

i remember wasteland like it was yesterday major nostalgia for me here thanks guys

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 4:54PM NeoWolfen said

Im super excited by the prospect of a Wasteland 2, back in the day I bought every Interplay game ever as they were one of my (if not THE) favourite producer of computer games.

Bards Tale was the first CRPG I ever tried and Fallout pretty was pretty much digital crack for me I loved it and still do. Baldurs Gate..Icewind Dale.. loved them all.

Its really great that projects like this can be revived in ways like this and definitely makes you wonder what the heck any production company out there who hasn't heard of Interplays games is even doing in business but it does go a long way to explaining many of the shockingly bad games that are produced today lol

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 6:10PM (Unverified) said

Bard's Tale III and Wasteland were two of the most influential games of my childhood, too. As soon as I heard about this project I was straight onto Kickstarter to pledge some funding, clearly I wasn't alone!!

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 8:04PM Shazzie said

I've never played Wasteland, and I didn't play (and fall in love) with the first 2 Fallouts until they'd been out for a few years. I'm still very excited about this, though, and I still donated to the Kickstarter, because the whole 'old school RPG' thing has my heart all aflutter!

Posted: Mar 15th 2012 9:28PM mmogaddict said

Now if we could just get a new Elite, Wing Commander or X Wing / TIE Fighter Game

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 2:13AM Amusednow said

If memory serves there was a actual wasteland 2 or follow-up released in a similar gamestyle before they screwed it up by calling it Fallout. Or maybe I'm just thinking of one that was a copy of Wasteland.

Now if they just made a Neuromancer 2 for people to play on their cyberdecks, sorry tablets, I might consider actually buying one. I'd laugh like a kid again cracking ICE on one of them.

Posted: Mar 16th 2012 8:33AM smartstep said

@Amusednow

Yeah Fallout 1 afaik was originally supposed to be Wasteland 2 ,but there was some issues concerning Wasteland IP / copyright issues, so they were forced to change the name.

Was not bad - Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 were also great games :D
| 1 | 2 |

The Daily Grind: I'll miss you, Vanguard

Posted on Jul 31st 2014 8:00AM

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM